Guest Xenia

Iphone applications thread

65 posts in this topic

This thread dedicated to the most useful applications. (not after be nessasarily for Iphone only)

Yes, there are ten thousands of them and top 50-100 in the search not always are best..far from it. Some gems are hidden.

Can you please post yours. I have about 40 different apps on my iphone right now, that is after deleting much more of them, which where shite. Of course its goes without saying that some apps completely useless for some, but can be god sent for others.

Ok, I will start from two, then will post more depending how this thread will develop.

Ndrive- Neat a quite well featured satnav, considering its only a £10.

TVcatchup (not exactly an app, so it does not appear in the "applications store" search, but shortcut button can be created and placed on interface, so its appears as an app)- Where you can watch translation of 15 major digital TV channels on Iphone (obviously 3G or Wifi connection is needed).

More will follow, after you post yours. :rolleyes:

Tube Deluxe

Ebay

Google (with voice search) Always amazes me how it understands me even when drunk :-)

Car Finder. Im always forgetting where my car is in the car park and other places.

Ones I use a lot are:

Urbanspoon - Restaurant Guide and commentary

Tube Deluxe - Very good London Underground maps etc with routing and live info on delays

The Trainline - "British Rail"

Alarm Clock

Twitterific - A Twitter ap

Wikihood - tells you all about the area you are in

HA Traffic - Traffic Jams etc from Highways Agency

Travel News - Ditto from Direct.gov

Koi Pond

iHandly Level - Spirit Level

Tube Deluxe - Brilliant

Yell.com - a yellow pages on your iPhone that lets you search for a company, call, email, visit their website and find them on a map

Shazam - if you hear music you like on the radio etc, fire this up and it will give you all the details: artist, title etc with the option to buy on iTunes

ScannerPro - takes a picture of a document and turns it into a pdf

Sky+ - see what's on and programme your sky box to record something

Tunein Radio - internet radio player

Ones I use a lot are:

Urbanspoon - Restaurant Guide and commentary

Tube Deluxe - Very good London Underground maps etc with routing and live info on delays

The Trainline - "British Rail"

Alarm Clock

Twitterific - A Twitter ap

Wikihood - tells you all about the area you are in

HA Traffic - Traffic Jams etc from Highways Agency

Travel News - Ditto from Direct.gov

Koi Pond

iHandly Level - Spirit Level

I have or had most of them.

Why is alarm clock any different that preinstalled alarm thingy with iphone?

Koi Pond one of the oldest apps. Sillyish, maybe nerves calming, but completely useless. lol I've deleted it after only having it for a day. :D

IHandy level very old app also. You can get it bundle together with AppboxPro for 59 pence (use to be £2.79 when its originally come out).

Tube Deluxe - Brilliant

Yell.com - a yellow pages on your iPhone that lets you search for a company, call, email, visit their website and find them on a map

Shazam - if you hear music you like on the radio etc, fire this up and it will give you all the details: artist, title etc with the option to buy on iTunes

ScannerPro - takes a picture of a document and turns it into a pdf

Sky+ - see what's on and programme your sky box to record something

Tunein Radio - internet radio player

Thank you for the ScannerPro. Will have a look on it later. Have all others.

Tunein radio particularly good. Can listen about 30+ of my Russian stations, when away from my internet radio at home. :D

Shazam, was one of the very first apps I downloaded, and I still have kept it. :D

Spycalc free is a great app for hiding erm... videos and erm... pictures on your iPhone / iPod Touch. Looks like a calculator but erm... it isn't.

Although this brands me as a pervert of the highest order (I figure I am in good company around here :D), I was quite taken by this little oddity from Japan called Puff.

Although this brands me as a pervert of the highest order (I figure I am in good company around here :D), I was quite taken by this little oddity from Japan called Puff.

Not enough girls there. I think it was about 20-30 the last time I looked.

Also I would like to have a more variety: not just tiny japanese arses there. :D

WeatherPro - the best weather app by far

1Password

Star Walk

Flixster

London Bus

Not enough girls there. I think it was about 20-30 the last time I looked.

Also I would like to have a more variety: not just tiny japanese arses there. :D

I agree totally. I am surprised that they have never released some kind of expansion pack with more girls and variety.

Mind you, with the 6 or so girls who are featured (certainly not 20-30 on mine :)), it only works out at 10p per girl :D.

I agree totally. I am surprised that they have never released some kind of expansion pack with more girls and variety.

Mind you, with the 6 or so girls who are featured (certainly not 20-30 on mine :)), it only works out at 10p per girl :D.

Sorry, I lied! :). It was 6 or so girls, when I looked last time, which was about a year ago. I just assumed that they added some more since, hence I estimated that it should be 20-30 by now. They clearly did not added any more since.

Certainly the "expansion pack is required" for this app. :D

Some more apps to add which does not figure in the top apps, or apps searches.

Tesco clubcard -exactly what it is! You need to put your name and clubcard number, and then you have your Tesco card with a barcode on your phone. Just give your iphone with opened app on the checkout in Tesco or Tesco petrol station to scan. Very useful, if you like me getting your card misplaced, lost, etc, or you want other members of the family to collect points on the same account.

Stanza- a book reader, and most of the classics can be downloaded for free. Probably will be more useful for IPAD with a bigger screen, but I never had a problem to read it from the Iphone screen.

Fluid - it's very relaxing!

Fluid - it's very relaxing!

LOL. Similar to the Koi Pond which Ghenghis mentioned above.

My grand-daughter loves the Koi Pond, especially when you tap the screen like rain, and the fish react.

Lonely Planet's European City Guides are temporarily free, until 23:59 on Thursday (22nd April), as a Volcano Relief offer, I can see free apps for the following cities;

Berlin

London

Munich

Istanbul

Paris

Rome

Amsterdam

Barcelona

Vienna

Stockholm

Copenhagen

Budapest

Moscow

Usually £9.49 per city guide - be quick!

(Part Two)

News

It pains me a bit to say it, but Sky News is the fastest way news app I've found, with smooth video feed that downloads almost instantly. The Guardian shows it's possible to have a decent news app if you want to pay for it. And The Scotsman is even better, giving you the option of reading the paper in the same layout as the published version. This is rather nice is you're feed up of web-based news feeds and just want to read it like an old fashioned paper, turning the pages with all the lovely layouts, fonts and even adverts preserved. Kiosko does the same for a massive range of papers, but only the front page. So Page Three fans are out of luck. The news app I use most is probably News Tracker though. It finds articles based on keyword. Which is great for breaking news on your favourite subjects. Try typing in 'iPhone app' for articles and links on newsworthy new stuff. Or 'Prostitution UK' for breaking news articles on that or any other subject that takes your fancy. The search items are stored in a list, so it's very fast to check the news you want as you get out of bed!

Photography

Some that I like enough to recommend generally are: Photogene which does the basic editing rather better and more simply than most. Perfectly Clear is a stunning application that will perform a fast auto-correction improving almost any photo you take. There is a minor glitch - in the last update, they accidentally 'overcorrected' the sharpness feature, and so you have to move the slider back down on that before saving the corrected photo. But the technology is so impressive I think that easily it's still worth it. Best 'replacement camera app' I've found is Genius. The two most useful features are an anti-shake option and the more common advantage of being able to touch anywhere on the screen to work the shutter. If you like taking pictures of yourself, or staring into the lens with a pal on a pissed night out, Photo Me will recognise when your face is properly in the photo, make you smile, and give you a countdown. Click Me will do the same but has a 2-face recognition option.

Diaries

I looked at a few, and the only one I really like is Secret Diary - though it doesn't have to be secret! I'm currently turning my daily diary of a recent trekking holiday into a backdated blog, complete with photos entered in the diary. It will also export direct to Facebook or Blogger, or you can just use it as a very attractive diary for just your own thoughts and pictures.

Travel

The ones I use most is National Rail Enquiries and Kayak. One of the most annoying things about iPhone photos is maybe remembering exactly what who and when sometimes. And those geo-locator apps can be a bit fiddly for non-techies like me. But Photo Tagger is nice and simple. Just select 'custom tag' and you can place a nice chunky caption under the photo itself. And it stays there, even when you export the picture or mess around with it. Also useful is Toilet Finder although this London one is possibly quicker. Unless you're in Southampton. :D

Apps that find useful apps

App Store is a bit limited sometimes. Apart from News Tracker, I like ones I find most of my apps from are Pandora Box and Hottest Apps which are both good but with different results. Apart from finding what's climbing the charts in popularity, they will tell you about promotions - when expensive applications are temporarily on sale or free. For instance, as I write this, several Lonely Planet travel guides, as someone's pointed out, are free for a few days. They're also quite chunky, so it's maybe a good idea to download them onto iTunes but just load them to iPhone if and when needed.

Sorry it's a long post - brevity was never quite my forte, was it? :) I hope one or two of the apps might perhaps be of use or interest to one or two forum members and good luck with keeping the thread going! I'll need to get back to retirement for a bit I'm afraid, but I do want to use the opportunity to send you all warmest wishes.

Best

Highland Stormcock

(Part One)

Hi there guys!

Well Xenia has tempted me out of hiding with her thread here. I'm a bit of an app junkie just now. Sorry I haven't posted for a long time. I genuinely did 'retire' as I said before, but just due to time constraints, which still apply unfortunately. I see Lucy & Hubby have retired - and after saying they'd send me a birthday cake for my 1000th! Grrrr! :) So this is just a one-off post just now. Greetings to all friends and lovely people on the Forum. Think about you often.

A nice thing about Xenia's start-up post was she gave links to the apps. So you could have a quick look and see if you maybe fancy it. It's not obvious, but I've tried to do the same. This is how:

Find the app in the iTunes app store and right-click on the app name or icon. This brings up a dialog box where you can copy the link to your clipboard and paste it into your post.

Here's my list of a few I hope some people might like (out of a few hundred on my iTunes - I swap them about depending on what I'm using my iPhone for. For instance, maps & language programs for travelling or, if I'm off to London, all the tube London-y things get loaded.)

Books.

I use a combination of Kindle (by Amazon) and Stanza. I occasionally use the Amazon Mobile app as well, although it is redundant if you are browsing in a bookshop, where you can simply scan the barcode with Red Laser then click a link to order it directly online at a fraction of the high street price. Reading e-books is an acquired habit after missing the touch and feel of a real book. But it's a boon when travelling light, or curled up under the bed covers. Currently I'm reading Angelina Jolie's beautiful Notes from my Travels on Stanza and Temptation to Tango on Kindle. I find a lot of the more serious reading I like is not available electronically yet, or is garbled. At the opposite end of the spectrum, although I'm not a big comic fan, I have to admit the visual appeal in the free Marvel app is fantastic. For shopping generally, I also tried the already mentioned Tesco Clubcard. But if like me you need the space, it works just as well if you save a screenshot (press both iPhone buttons together) and save it to your photo library (or in its own album). After which you can delete the app.

Movies & TV

Flixter is one of the more polished programs that tells you what's on at the cinema with lots of useful features. I also like Trailers International to zip through trailers of upcoming movies, even though Flixter often has them too. I thought Xenia's TVCatchup was awesome - incredibly smooth and fast delivery that turns your iPhone into a TV at zero charge. For listings and reminders of TV programs I mostly use Tioti TV which maybe scrapes ahead of Radio Times for usability.

Monger ('Punter') Corner

I know this section doesn't come up in iTunes, but I tried to think of ones that were 'relevant' to Punternet too! We've all had those moments when brain ceases to function and words come out as originally as, 'Do you come here often.' So a reasonable list of suggestions in a neat app is perhaps worth browsing occasionally - don't laugh! - it's called Conversation Topics. Next, is getting organised: how do keep a list of WG options with one-click profiles, photos and emails addresses / phone numbers? You can put them in your contact list (you can group them by synching to Outlook, or use a privacy mode app). Or try the various (mostly buggy) downloader programs like Evernote, ReadItLater or iSaveWeb (there's also free versions of these) or even a database app. They are fiddly to use though. Mostly useful for non-monger activities when you need to take reference websites with you and have no internet connection. Brilliant in this respect, when you want to collect and organise everything offline in one place (eg city guide, hotel information, photos, maps, and the email she sent you before you booked your travel tickets) is Notemaster. Otherwise, the best option just for mongering is maybe a simple Notes file with iPhone's built-in app. You can store a web address, email and phone number with any other details, and then one-click on them to call them up. Adultw0rk users can display searches as an RSS feed then save the URL as a homescreen icon. Sadly, Poof! Is no longer allowed by the AppleDogCollars. (Yes, the demos look so much fun, so I admit I searched for it, you pervy lot! :D) As a consolation prize, there's a Gentlemen's Navigator which is an 'app in development.' Just now it's a website designed for the iPhones and other smartphones and works like an app (even if some of the punting info is a bit sketchy). As if Apple would ever license it :D hmmmm . . .

WG corner

OK, I haven't tested these in any WG capacity:p, but I noticed them out of interest. I am Safe is a personal safety app that, with a single touch, will activate an emergency strategy of emails and SMS and even track and broadcast your (approximate) location. I downloaded the freebie version to have a look at it, but the paid one is maybe all that's available just now. (btw, Safety Button looks very similar.) If you struggle a bit positioning yourself for those all-important photos, Poses Sampler has some excellent suggestions. If you tour a lot, One Click Cab might make it easier to get a cab when you arrive yet somewhere else, without having to research and store numbers. For offline, searchable maps for individual cities, I have found City Maps 2Go better than most. There's lots of apps for finding hotels, but if someone finds a good apartment locator, please let me know!

Music

Bandsintown and Local Concerts between them do a reasonable job of finding what gigs are on where. You can even customise them according to what's in your music collection already, then click through to ticketmaster or whoever. I'm still new to them though, and still seem to want tickets after they're sold out :(. Shazam is the standard way of finding out what song's playing when the radio DJ never announced it; although you can do the same thing just with an SMS. For singalong fans (or just people like me who wonder what the heck a song's about), TuneWiki will pull up the lyrics as each line of a song is played from your music collection.

(character limit in place on the forum, so 'part two' follows :))

Some excellent stuff there HS and well done to Xenia for a very useful thread.

Much better than the Apple paper ads.

Now, does anyone know a reasonably easy way to Jailbreak (sic) an iPhone and to get access to unapproved Aps like free tethering?

(Part One)

Hi there guys!

Well Xenia has tempted me out of hiding with her thread here.

I knew I am going to drag you back for your 1000 posts! I had a bet with another person, that I am going to put a thread for which Highland Shamrock would not content himself and will respond. I was right and I've won! (bunch of radishes and packet of fags)

Excellent post on topic and all that....now please continue with a same posting vigour, like you did when you first appeared on this forum. I hope you will! x :D

(Part One)

Hi there guys!

Well Xenia has tempted me out of hiding with her thread here. I'm a bit of an app junkie just now. Sorry I haven't posted for a long time. I genuinely did 'retire' as I said before, but just due to time constraints, which still apply unfortunately. I see Lucy & Hubby have retired - and after saying they'd send me a birthday cake for my 1000th! Grrrr! :) So this is just a one-off post just now. Greetings to all friends and lovely people on the Forum. Think about you often.

A nice thing about Xenia's start-up post was she gave links to the apps. So you could have a quick look and see if you maybe fancy it. It's not obvious, but I've tried to do the same. This is how:

Find the app in the iTunes app store and right-click on the app name or icon. This brings up a dialog box where you can copy the link to your clipboard and paste it into your post.

Here's my list of a few I hope some people might like (out of a few hundred on my iTunes - I swap them about depending on what I'm using my iPhone for. For instance, maps & language programs for travelling or, if I'm off to London, all the tube London-y things get loaded.)

Books.

I use a combination of Kindle (by Amazon) and Stanza. I occasionally use the Amazon Mobile app as well, although it is redundant if you are browsing in a bookshop, where you can simply scan the barcode with Red Laser then click a link to order it directly online at a fraction of the high street price. Reading e-books is an acquired habit after missing the touch and feel of a real book. But it's a boon when travelling light, or curled up under the bed covers. Currently I'm reading Angelina Jolie's beautiful Notes from my Travels on Stanza and Temptation to Tango on Kindle. I find a lot of the more serious reading I like is not available electronically yet, or is garbled. At the opposite end of the spectrum, although I'm not a big comic fan, I have to admit the visual appeal in the free Marvel app is fantastic. For shopping generally, I also tried the already mentioned Tesco Clubcard. But if like me you need the space, it works just as well if you save a screenshot (press both iPhone buttons together) and save it to your photo library (or in its own album). After which you can delete the app.

Movies & TV

Flixter is one of the more polished programs that tells you what's on at the cinema with lots of useful features. I also like Trailers International to zip through trailers of upcoming movies, even though Flixter often has them too. I thought Xenia's TVCatchup was awesome - incredibly smooth and fast delivery that turns your iPhone into a TV at zero charge. For listings and reminders of TV programs I mostly use Tioti TV which maybe scrapes ahead of Radio Times for usability.

Monger ('Punter') Corner

I know this section doesn't come up in iTunes, but I tried to think of ones that were 'relevant' to Punternet too! We've all had those moments when brain ceases to function and words come out as originally as, 'Do you come here often.' So a reasonable list of suggestions in a neat app is perhaps worth browsing occasionally - don't laugh! - it's called Conversation Topics. Next, is getting organised: how do keep a list of WG options with one-click profiles, photos and emails addresses / phone numbers? You can put them in your contact list (you can group them by synching to Outlook, or use a privacy mode app). Or try the various (mostly buggy) downloader programs like Evernote, ReadItLater or iSaveWeb (there's also free versions of these) or even a database app. They are fiddly to use though. Mostly useful for non-monger activities when you need to take reference websites with you and have no internet connection. Brilliant in this respect, when you want to collect and organise everything offline in one place (eg city guide, hotel information, photos, maps, and the email she sent you before you booked your travel tickets) is Notemaster. Otherwise, the best option just for mongering is maybe a simple Notes file with iPhone's built-in app. You can store a web address, email and phone number with any other details, and then one-click on them to call them up. Adultw0rk users can display searches as an RSS feed then save the URL as a homescreen icon. Sadly, Poof! Is no longer allowed by the AppleDogCollars. (Yes, the demos look so much fun, so I admit I searched for it, you pervy lot! :() As a consolation prize, there's a Gentlemen's Navigator which is an 'app in development.' Just now it's a website designed for the iPhones and other smartphones and works like an app (even if some of the punting info is a bit sketchy). As if Apple would ever license it :D hmmmm . . .

WG corner

OK, I haven't tested these in any WG capacity:p, but I noticed them out of interest. I am Safe is a personal safety app that, with a single touch, will activate an emergency strategy of emails and SMS and even track and broadcast your (approximate) location. I downloaded the freebie version to have a look at it, but the paid one is maybe all that's available just now. (btw, Safety Button looks very similar.) If you struggle a bit positioning yourself for those all-important photos, Poses Sampler has some excellent suggestions. If you tour a lot, One Click Cab might make it easier to get a cab when you arrive yet somewhere else, without having to research and store numbers. For offline, searchable maps for individual cities, I have found City Maps 2Go better than most. There's lots of apps for finding hotels, but if someone finds a good apartment locator, please let me know!

Music

Bandsintown and Local Concerts between them do a reasonable job of finding what gigs are on where. You can even customise them according to what's in your music collection already, then click through to ticketmaster or whoever. I'm still new to them though, and still seem to want tickets after they're sold out :o. Shazam is the standard way of finding out what song's playing when the radio DJ never announced it; although you can do the same thing just with an SMS. For singalong fans (or just people like me who wonder what the heck a song's about), TuneWiki will pull up the lyrics as each line of a song is played from your music collection.

(character limit in place on the forum, so 'part two' follows :))

Storm! It is so good to see you on here again. Please come back and stay! x

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the O2 signal both at home and at work is weak to non-existent, so I can't search for apps unless I go and sit in the park.

I don't understand why coverage is often so poor in this country. Try the train journey from London to Birmingham, and big chunks of the journey seem to go through dead areas. Yesterday the key fob on my car packed up in central Oxford, and I had to walk 300 yards to find somewhere to use the phone.

It games are your thing try Angry Birds. Very simple to play but impossible to stop playing. One more go....

These recommendations go out of date rather quickly as new apps take over. But I thought I’d add a couple that might be of interest.

The newest news reader I like is Thomson Reuters. Very fast, and doesn’t mean paying lip service to the Skynet-work. Sky News, on the other hand, did provide instantly downloading video of the entry and exit speeches of Messers Brown & Cameron. Brown managed a token sincerity at the end that was rather nice, probably the most moving thing I’ve heard him say. I watched as they wandered off to get a bus, but with those gates shut and some pesky traffic disruption, he decided to get in a car, shooing the fimilie into one that would no doubt follow at a respectful pace behind.

Cameron, I felt, could have learnt a few things from Thatcher when it comes to delivery. His speech bored me and I had to amuse myself by looking towards the door of Number 10 to see if Harman, Smith and Kelly would be led out in shackles, dirty and dishevelled, ready to be hounded down the street on the way to the public stocks. But Harman’s stocks seem to be doing quite well of course, as she climbs on the backs of those poor women she has disempowered to become Acting Labour Leader. Quite a nice title. Reminds me of Chinese sweat shops. And if Cameron bored me or struck me as insincere (even if that Gordon chap is a hard act to follow there), well bear in mind I’m writing from Scotland and so ‘biased.’ :D

But back on topic. Very nice app for those fans of Adultwirk – or even just fans of blogs – is the strangely titled and a-political Manifesto. I tried four RSS readers before I got tired of testing them. Everyone that needs an RSS feeder will probably do the same to find which one suits them. But I liked Manifesto: it didn’t crash, refreshes feeds sequentially (so you can use some while waiting for others), is pretty fast, has an instinctive layout and – here’s the killer feature – lets you download and save the page you want to read offline. No, you don’t have to go through the intro pages of the *other* website: you can just save the full profile. The page layout is slightly different to what you would see live, but the info’s there. So basically you can do a search on *other*, right click the RSS icon to get the search parameters as a feed, and paste the URL of the feed into Manifesto. So you can quickly review all the ladies of say, Bishops Itchington, or wherever it is you plan to plant your friendly gnome or heat-seeking moisture missile. Plus the feed is supposed to automatically refresh itself, so it is pretty low-maintenance compared to webpage savers – which require you to go back to ** to renew a search in order to find new service providers. On the downside, I’m not sure that it works for search results that run to several pages. Neither have I managed to get the RSS icon to show up on an iphone-based search. So you need to transfer the RSS URL by emailing it to yourself or pasting it into Google Reader (where Manifesto will sync it).

If all that techno stuff makes you brain hurt and eyes water, get Xenia to explain it to you. If you’re very lucky she might even share her radishes. Alternatively, try Brain Hack. It sounds daft, is free of technobabble and psychobabble, but you may find the alpha-theta brainwave stuff not only works but is pretty convenient when you want to shift gear. Brain Hack includes the more traditional ‘waterfall sound’ stuff for the sceptical and keeps playing for the set time when the iPhone goes to sleep.

I’ve managed to find a free Usenet Reader that does an ok job of presenting P*nternet on your h*ndset, but hardly awesomely enough for five stars.

I have (rather optimistically) downloaded ShareApps in case anyone wants to recommend apps to me. I noticed on a recent trip to London that iPhones – or at least a Blackberry are required by law before you can walk around in public or jaywalk with impunity. But, living in the Land that David Forgot, most of my politically disenfranchised friends have to make do with nokias.

Except those on Punternet :eek:

Lots of love to ya all, and thanks to Mansion Lass and others for their good wishes. Will be back one day when I have time to spare under the bedclothes, exhausted from the nubile nymphs that have hastened to do my beckoning at the swipe of an apple-fresh finger, and delighted to use my spare digit to say hello to you lovelies. :D

As examples of them working:-

Not sure how best to display images on here, but try clicking 'image' and if that doesne work, click the main title then click view or download :mad:

Thomas Reuters screengrab or image

SkyNews screengrab or image

Usent reader screengrab with sample Punternet display or image

Manifesto screengrab with sample Adultw0rk display or image

Brainhack screengrab or image