The Medic

HTC Desire or iPhone?

125 posts in this topic

Thinking of getting the HTC Desire which they say is a good contender to replace the iPhone.

2 questions here: Why should I get the HTC Desire or Why should I get the iPhone?

Views and comments greatly appreciated.

Thank you one and all.

The Medic :rolleyes:

The huge advantage that the iPhone has got is the applications available for it (see other thread for some examples). I do not believe tht HTC, RIM (BlackBerry) or Nokia can ever catch up.

The other advantage of the iPhone is that it is simple and intuitive to use. Over the past two years I've used HTC, Nokia, BlackBerry and iPhone and, for me, the iPhone is much better.

Thinking of getting the HTC Desire which they say is a good contender to replace the iPhone.

2 questions here: Why should I get the HTC Desire or Why should I get the iPhone?

Thank you one and all.

The Medic ;)

Apologies for piping up with an opinion that has nothing to do with your question :o But much as I totally love "tech and toys", I somehow feel like I'm always in the vast minority who only want a phone to be just that. A phone.

Not a camera (I have a digital SLR and also a compact for that), not an MP3 player (I have an iTouch for that) and not an email device (I have a computer & laptop for that). I just want things to be what they are.

So until now eternally happy with my Nokia 8800 which I've had for several years.

I've just bought an HTC Legend, which is similar to the Desire (Android 2.1, Sense interface) although it has a slightly lower specification... which it makes up for in style.

It's a very powerful device, and integrates very nicely with Google services as you'd expect (contacts and calendar entries are almost instantly synchronised between the phone and your Google accounts or accounts). Yes it's more complicated than the iPhone (for complicated, read configurable), but I didn't want Apple's totalitarian we-know-best attitude. On screen keyboard is fantastic, contact management and the calendar are awesome. There are some frustrations (e.g. battery life and some small idiosyncrasies such as no audible call waiting beep when on silent or vibrate), but on the whole it's the best phone I've ever had. The all metal case maybe compromises reception, but the Desire won't suffer in that respect. Oh and you can change the battery on both too. ;)

If you read most of the online reviews of the Legend and Desire the only reason the iPhone trumps either is the range of apps. So far, I've not had a problem finding an app (many free) that does what I want. (For example, there's an app to overcome the call waiting bug). Having said that the phone comes with just about everything I need to work and play as it is.

Given the fact that you get a better deal contract wise (or pay less if buying SIM free) than the iPhone, I'd go for the HTC (either the Desire which or Legend).

B

I have the HTC Desire. Not enough apps to download as of yet, but otherwise OK. Don't know what the battery life for the iphone but desire is about 14 hours.

Agree 100% with HairySub. The iPhone rocks and the App store makes it unbeatable IMHO.

Thank you one and all.

The Medic ;)

Had an HTC phone for awhile.

Touch screen. Stylus. But not Android.

At the end of a year, the screen whet W-o-o-o-sh!

And the phone was dead.

I would go for the Apple...

...but like someone said, I actually prefer to have a phone that is just a phone.

I am slanting towards the HTC as I can get a good deal and also I doubt I would use many of the thousands of apps that iPhone has.

Where can I search for apps for the HTC?

I am slanting towards the HTC as I can get a good deal and also I doubt I would use many of the thousands of apps that iPhone has.

Where can I search for apps for the HTC?

Start here:

http://www.android.com/market/

You'll prolly find what you need. Seriously.

Android really is the way to go IMO. Put another way, why else would Apple be suing HTC unless they were worried?

B

Thank you for your views on this everyone. I have decided to go to HTC Desire as I can get a very good deal with Orange which also allows free unlimited internet. Looking at the apps for Android Phones, I think there is enough of what I would use and I am sure there will be even more apps coming out pretty soon. I think iPhone has got just too many apps and I know I will not use all those apps. Also iPhone is expensive to buy.

All being well, I should get it by tomorrow :D

The Medic

And.................how is it? I'm millisecounds from going for one and I want to know, are you happy with it?

Ask me next week lol ..... I have just been so busy that I have not managed to get it yet but watch this space as every day I get even more closer to liking it and getting it

Sorry for the delay but I will not blame it on the volcano :D

Ask me next week lol ..... I have just been so busy that I have not managed to get it yet but watch this space as every day I get even more closer to liking it and getting it

Sorry for the delay but I will not blame it on the volcano :D

YOU HAVEN'T GOT IT YET? Like you don't have it, it on your possesion, not handling it. fondling it, stroking it, kissing it? Yet?

And.................how is it? I'm millisecounds from going for one and I want to know, are you happy with it?

If it's anything like the Legend it will be superb. In fact in some respects it will be better... my Legend suffers from poorish reception partly due to the aluminium 'unibody' construction.

Android combined with one or more Google Mail, Calender and Maps is unbeatable in my opinion.

B

If it's anything like the Legend it will be superb. In fact in some respects it will be better... my Legend suffers from poorish reception partly due to the aluminium 'unibody' construction.

Android combined with one or more Google Mail, Calender and Maps is unbeatable in my opinion.

B

Thanks for that, I collect mobiles almost as much as I do WG's, the Desire is one that I I've done the research on and fully expect a HE!

And at £22.50 per month for 400 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet it is a much better bargain that the iPhone I think

And at £22.50 per month for 400 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet it is a much better bargain that the iPhone I think

I believe you said you were taking out a contract with Orange on this phone, I think "unlimited internet" is not quite that IMO. "Unlimited" to half a GB a month isn't good, Virgin offer "Unlimeted" as 35p a day unrestricted internet access, looks better value to me.

I believe you said you were taking out a contract with Orange on this phone, I think "unlimited internet" is not quite that IMO. "Unlimited" to half a GB a month isn't good, Virgin offer "Unlimeted" as 35p a day unrestricted internet access, looks better value to me.

Hey tarquin, thank you for the heads up on this. Maybe I need to do more research before I get to own the baby :D

Hey tarquin, thank you for the heads up on this. Maybe I need to do more research before I get to own the baby :D

You should keep an eye on Virgin, they do special deals on selected phones every other week or so. Trouble is the reception for my home area is crap, but that doesnt stop me from getting one on their tariffs. See here http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/viewHandsetWithAllTariffs.do?offeringId=3246921, by he way its 30p a day not 35p, and thats only applied on the days you use it.

This "unliminted web access" is very confusing. None of the networks say what one actually gets. Is it just for social networking sites? Is emails included? Can you surf the web? :D

If anyone can shed some light it will be mostly appreciated. Otherwise I will just got a free calls and free texts without any so called unlimited free web access

This "unliminted web access" is very confusing. None of the networks say what one actually gets. Is it just for social networking sites? Is emails included? Can you surf the web? :D

If anyone can shed some light it will be mostly appreciated. Otherwise I will just got a free calls and free texts without any so called unlimited free web access

The unlimited should cover all email send/receive and all web surfing together with any application access. You need to check because there will almost certainly be a limit which they will describe as a 'fair usage policy'. You would need 1GB+ per month.

Another important thing to check is that thephone has WiFi access and automatically switches to this when there is coverage (e.g. at the home or ofice) to avoid eating into your web access limit or fair usage policy.

To give you a comparison, I paid £90 for my iPhone 3GS 32GB. I pay £35 a month for 600 minutes, unlimited texts (there is an alternative with 250 texts and unlimited land line calls) and 1GB of web access. I also get another 1GB of web access through BT WiFi hotspots without extra charge and no limit on WiFi through other free networks.

Another important thing to check is that thephone has WiFi access and automatically switches to this when there is coverage (e.g. at the home or ofice) to avoid eating into your web access limit or fair usage policy.QUOTE]

So if I use the WiFi whereever available, would I still need 1Gb+ of data usage? I know some providers state 500mb as fair usage and some do not say anything at all.

But thank you for the info and I will certainly look into this further.

Another important thing to check is that thephone has WiFi access and automatically switches to this when there is coverage (e.g. at the home or ofice) to avoid eating into your web access limit or fair usage policy.QUOTE]

So if I use the WiFi whereever available, would I still need 1Gb+ of data usage? I know some providers state 500mb as fair usage and some do not say anything at all.

But thank you for the info and I will certainly look into this further.

I would still reckon that you need 1GB in addition to WiFi as the thing becomes most useful when you are out and about as you are able to surf, email and use maps + location based services (e.g. local directories) on the move.

I know that Vodafone's tariffs are 1GB for the iPhone but only 500MB for others.

I would still reckon that you need 1GB in addition to WiFi as the thing becomes most useful when you are out and about as you are able to surf, email and use maps + location based services (e.g. local directories) on the move.

I know that Vodafone's tariffs are 1GB for the iPhone but only 500MB for others.

I am currently using my Orange SIM with 250MB internet in my Legend and to be honest the usage is not that high. Usage is characterised by some mobile browsing, email, calendar, weather/location updates and Google maps. I have neither gone out of my way to use the 'connected' features of my phone, nor avoided them either. (Having said that I don't use it for social networking so YMMV.)

Whilst I'd prefer unlimited internet for peace of mind (that will have to wait until I change contract) I'm not convinced that it's a prerequisite.

I use the mobile broadband on my laptop far more (mostly work-related) and so far this month I'm at around 850MB out of a total of 3GB. I'm pushing around significantly more data than you'd expect to on a smartphone (e.g. 2GB+ attachments) so I'm not sure if one really needs >1GB on one.

B