punter992005

victory!! (of sorts)

23 posts in this topic

Just received an email from the Press complaints Commission and The Sun has apparently agreed to add the following text to the article that I was talking about in a couple of other threads......

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2923124/Brothel-raid-as-sex-laws-change.html

However, some clients are keen to point out that it remains legal to visit a brothel under the new law.

Kevin, from Watford, Herts said: ‘It is misleading to suggest that a client can be arrested for merely visiting a brothel. Provided that the prostitute has not been deceived or forced into working, brothels are not illegal for a client.’

It won't, from what I understand, be printed as a separate correction since the article never appeared in real print in the newspaper, so the addition of that text to the online version is the best we'll get. How many people will see it now - a week later - is a slight issue, but at least it now means The Sun has been made aware of the principle that brothels are legal so we hopefully won't see anything like that again; or if we do we'll have a lot more ammo with a second identical complaint to the PCC.

Well done! Bloody well done! We all need to stand up and object when this sort of rubbish is published by our "free press".

Brilliant!!!Well done for taking the time and effort to e-mail complain etc.

Round of applause for punter992005 I say!

You can add my name to that. Very well done.

well done 005, you're an excellent example to us all

yes. well done.

Strange though, despite how the article describes conditions in the premises, it doesn't look 'grotty' to me - it looks quite clean and tidy. I'm sure many of us have seen a lot worse!

yes. well done.

Strange though, despite how the article describes conditions in the premises, it doesn't look 'grotty' to me - it looks quite clean and tidy. I'm sure many of us have seen a lot worse!

possibly referring to the outside of the building/stairways/alleys whatever. Obviously they've got to reinforce the mantra that it's a filthy disgusting business.

this is an example of how prejudices can be challenged,well done 99205, we all need to get involved in this way,the more we speak out for the rights of sex workers,the more rights they will attain to the benefit of punters

I can't believe the Press Complaints Commission has actually done something useful. Usually they just make the Mail / Star / Express / Sun (delete as applicable) apologise for suggesting that Peter Andre was shagging Kerry Katona.

Congratulations to the OP.

Well done Sir, good on you for sticking in there. ;)

Well done indeed, though still not amended as I write. Quite surprised to see The Sun concede so easily. After all, the PCC is generally acknowledged to lack teeth, guts, spine or balls.

There should be a formal complaint about that use of the term "grotty", though. As most journalists should know, the correct term to be applied in describing a brothel is "seedy".

Just received an email from the Press complaints Commission and The Sun has apparently agreed to add the following text to the article that I was talking about in a couple of other threads......

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2923124/Brothel-raid-as-sex-laws-change.html

However, some clients are keen to point out that it remains legal to visit a brothel under the new law.

Kevin, from Watford, Herts said: 'It is misleading to suggest that a client can be arrested for merely visiting a brothel. Provided that the prostitute has not been deceived or forced into working, brothels are not illegal for a client.'

It won't, from what I understand, be printed as a separate correction since the article never appeared in real print in the newspaper, so the addition of that text to the online version is the best we'll get. How many people will see it now - a week later - is a slight issue, but at least it now means The Sun has been made aware of the principle that brothels are legal so we hopefully won't see anything like that again; or if we do we'll have a lot more ammo with a second identical complaint to the PCC.

I salute you .

possibly referring to the outside of the building/stairways/alleys whatever. Obviously they've got to reinforce the mantra that it's a filthy disgusting business.

They haven't seen some of the stairways /alleys of buildings in Poland , where some brothels are located .

Well done!!

Now to get the police to interpret the correct spirit of the law and not to put personal spin and prejudices on it.

(without a court of law wasting public money to force the police to interpret the law correctly ie this law is about forced women - not about a dirty room )

The police should remember they are there to uphold the law!

Well done!!

Now to get the police to interpret the correct spirit of the law and not to put personal spin and prejudices on it.

(without a court of law wasting public money to force the police to interpret the law correctly ie this law is about forced women - not about a dirty room )

Good post and spot on. Well done Punter992005.:D

Kevin, from Watford, Herts said: 'It is misleading to suggest that a client can be arrested for merely visiting a brothel. Provided that the prostitute has not been deceived or forced into working, brothels are not illegal for a client.'

punter992005, I will drink to you tonight!

That takes guts doing what you did, well done! I just wish we didnt need to defend ourselves and have to do things like this...

Next to a battle lost, the greatest misery is a battle won....

well done , Kevin from Watford, i can see lots of friend requests coming your way :D

Well done!!

Well, the Met's complaints procedure is here:

https://secure.met.police.uk/complaints/

Might it be possible to complain that DI Hyland has misrepresented the law in the press? It is quite likely thatthe press has, in fact, mirepresented him and it would be interesting to see if he asserts this or not......

Well, the Met's complaints procedure is here:

https://secure.met.police.uk/complaints/

Might it be possible to complain that DI Hyland has misrepresented the law in the press? It is quite likely thatthe press has, in fact, mirepresented him and it would be interesting to see if he asserts this or not......

well the quote, as repeated in all the press reports, came from an offical met police press release, which someone linked to in another thread. Obviously The Sun have spoken to him personally from what I can gather when they joined the officers on the raid, and according to the Editor he claimed brothels were effectively illegal on the grounds that almost all the girls in the them were forced/coerced/threatened etc. into being there......quite an outlandish statement and The Sun clearly didn't want to press him on that since they clearly like being given access to raids like this and getting the scoop. Challenging him would risk not being his favourites anymore.

Good work. Its a good taste when you do get the press to change their story. As you know I got the BBC to change one story. We got to keep at it and may be eventually they will learn.

Damn why did I not write to my local paper about one of their lies they quoted. Pure laziness on my part.

I did do one thing once by mistake. I wrote to the local paper on the Monday morning writing a tongue in cheek support for the local lap dancing club that had proposed opening. Sure enough the letter was published with my correct full name on the Wednesday.

Two weeks later a friend of my wife travveling to work with her asked if there where many Mr Elrond's living in the area, because one has written supporting the local strip club. :D I lived on that story for several years. :D

Good work. Its a good taste when you do get the press to change their story. As you know I got the BBC to change one story. We got to keep at it and may be eventually they will learn.

Damn why did I not write to my local paper about one of their lies they quoted. Pure laziness on my part.

I did do one thing once by mistake. I wrote to the local paper on the Monday morning writing a tongue in cheek support for the local lap dancing club that had proposed opening. Sure enough the letter was published with my correct full name on the Wednesday.

Two weeks later a friend of my wife travveling to work with her asked if there where many Mr Elrond's living in the area, because one has written supporting the local strip club. :rolleyes: I lived on that story for several years. :o

well the sun were looking to publish my full name, town and job. That would have narrowed it down quite a bit. I'm single so would have had no worries in that dept, but obviously I do have friends, family and work colleagues and god knows what they'd say....in the end just first name and town, so no problems; although since it was a factual correction (and printed as such) and not opinion I don't see why they needed a name in any case.