Guest Northwinds

Most bizarre reason for cancelling a punt ?

30 posts in this topic

What's the oddest cancellation reason you've received or given ?

I am proud to be able to add "It was the Volcano's fault" to my short list of ones I've given (something I would have got long odds on last week I think) ;)

I was supposed to be in the North West of England tonight, enjoying the company of a lady I have long aspired to meet. Needless to say I was a bit naffed off to find my plane (and every other one at the airport to boot) cancelled, leaving me 250 miles away from the planned meet, with no realistic chance of ever getting there. Result = one very disappointed Northwinds and a cancellation call to the girl concerned.

Anyone else get caught up in the mayhem and miss a punt as a result ? Any other more bizarre reasons ?

Not really bizarre individually, but I had two gentlemen cancel on the same day as each other, each one because of a car crash. One had been involved in one himself, the other's son had crashed his car at the other end of the country and he had to go pick him up, haha.

What's the oddest cancellation reason you've received or given ?

I am proud to be able to add "It was the Volcano's fault" to my short list of ones I've given (something I would have got long odds on last week I think) ;)

Join the club, although proud isn't the word I'd use. :o I only hope that when the lady concerned reads this, and the other thread where I've vented my spleen over it, she'll forgive me! :P

I've heard

My Mums arrived unexpected

The Babysitters not turned up

The Scools closed

The Babys Sick

My Boyfriends got a day off

My Grans died / Ill etc

Probation officer visiting

Various Illnesses

Gas leak

Been in Hospital all night

Traffic

Landlords inspecting premises

Social worker visiting

Got to Sign on

Out of credit on phone

Power cut

Water leak

Roof leaking

Council doing work on house

Water main burst in road

Police Seige

Dog died

Overslept

Double Booked

Period started

Neighbours watching flat / house

Previous client won't leave

Sister came home from school unexpectedly

No money for bus / train / taxi couldn't get there

Builders coming

John Charles shooting

London Bombings

Not enough bookings that day

Got an Infection

911 in New York

Car broken down

Taxi couldn't find address

And probably a few more but that's enough for now

i had to order a pizza

Oh no, don't bring all that nonsense over to this nice new (as yet) untarnished thread ;).

Join the club, although proud isn't the word I'd use. :o I only hope that when the lady concerned reads this, and the other thread where I've vented my spleen over it, she'll forgive me! :P

Not much you or I could do about it Tony. I am sure they'll understand :).

No really wierd ones but I did get this:

"I got off at the wrong train station and when I got on the next train it took me back home."

I've never had to cancel a booking (thankfully), but I've had 2 girls cancel on me last minute. They were not really bizarre reasons, just seemed a bit odd behaviour to me at the time.

The first girl was due at my house at 8pm, and we spoke on the phone earlier in the day to confirm the booking. I'd already met her 3 times before, so I had no worries about her turning up. 8pm came and went, so did 9pm so I rang her only to be told she had decided to go to Spain for a last minute week long holiday with her friend, and was in Spain when I rang.

The 2nd girl lived 80 miles from me and could not drive. I checked the train times and costs for her, and sent her the £21 return train fare through Paypal as she requested. Come the day of the meeting, she rang to say she had arrived at her station with only £14 in her pocket and could not afford the train fare to get to me. I asked why she only had £14 when she knew the fare was £21, and she said she had to pay for a taxi to the station out of the money I sent her.

As odd as they both sound, it turned out they were both true.

I've heard

The Scools closed

The Babys Sick

My Grans died / Ill etc

Various Illnesses

Gas leak

Traffic

Social worker visiting

Got to Sign on

Out of credit on phone

Power cut

Water leak

Roof leaking

Water main burst in road

Police Seige

Dog died

Overslept

Double Booked

Period started

Builders coming

John Charles shooting

London Bombings

Got an Infection

911 in New York

Car broken down

Thank you for sharing those with your friends Howard! ;)

I've heard

The Scools closed

The Babys Sick

My Grans died / Ill etc

Various Illnesses

Gas leak

Traffic

Social worker visiting

Got to Sign on

Out of credit on phone

Power cut

Water leak

Roof leaking

Water main burst in road

Police Seige

Dog died

Overslept

Double Booked

Period started

Builders coming

John Charles shooting

London Bombings

Got an Infection

911 in New York

Car broken down

It seems you get a lot of cancellations Howard !!!!!

It seems you get a lot of cancellations Howard !!!!!

The more active you are the more let downs you're going to get ;)

"I was reading Punternet message board and got through a huge bucket of popcorn and now I feel very very sick so sorry I have to cancel our appointment"

"I just heard President Kennedy got shot and am in deep shock"

"my mother in law just seduced me and I think I love her"

"my balls just dropped off"

############

some of the above are false

ok they all are

;)

Oh My Volcano erupted.......:o

Can't find my keys......

electricity not working.....

mobile phone turned off by itself.....;)

The van broke down.

The dog ate my condoms

I'm dyslexic and walked up and down 'X' street but couldn't see you

I got to the hotel but then completely forgot who I was coming to see

Oh My Volcano erupted.......:D

Can't find my keys......

electricity not working.....

mobile phone turned off by itself.....:D

Strangely, mine does that all the bloody time....honestly.

The following are all reasons I've been given;

I found a real girlfriend

Decided to have fun with the wife instead

Colleagues car slid into me at work (which was in the same town and close by)

Water tank burst at home, insurance company putting me up in a hotel near you - come up for a meal/use the health facilities with me for free. (so why is this a reason to cancel the paid for booking at my place?)

I've driven round town several times and can't see this obvious landmark you can't not drive past, and I don't want your directions even if I'm probably only 5 minutes away (no-one in 2 years has not, not found my place with my directions)

Tile blew off roof right through my windscreen

Wife/girlfriend is travelling with me

You don't offer BB

Then the usual;

Death in family

Meeting cancelled

Work called me in

These last ones are fair enough stuff does happen, however if they happen 3 times in a row it can start to wear a bit thin really.

The following are all reasons I've been given;

I found a real girlfriend

Decided to have fun with the wife instead

Colleagues car slid into me at work (which was in the same town and close by)

Water tank burst at home, insurance company putting me up in a hotel near you - come up for a meal/use the health facilities with me for free. (so why is this a reason to cancel the paid for booking at my place?)

I've driven round town several times and can't see this obvious landmark you can't not drive past, and I don't want your directions even if I'm probably only 5 minutes away (no-one in 2 years has not, not found my place with my directions)

Tile blew off roof right through my windscreen

Wife/girlfriend is travelling with me

You don't offer BB

Then the usual;

Death in family

Meeting cancelled

Work called me in

These last ones are fair enough stuff does happen, however if they happen 3 times in a row it can start to wear a bit thin really.

Heh, some of these rival those "real quotes from Insurance Claims" you see on the net :).

I honestly hope I never have to use the "Volcano" reason ever again. I suppose it's fairly easy to check the veracity though :D

Northwinds (still horny after missing his booking :D)

Oh forgot another great one;

I've found someone I want to be with (within 2 days of making booking whilst staying in the Lakes).

I have had the wife came home early, emergency at work, I forgot (even though they booked an hour earlier), sickness. Nothing really far fetched.

Me on the other hand had to cancel my first day at HOD cos had a power cut in the night, mid shower water went cold, did not realise no power, cos of no power police alarm system went off so there I was soaking wet with armed response banging on my door. That is probably one of most unusual reasons for cancelling. I have tripped over cats and dogs on the stairs before. Previous place I tumbled down two lots of stairs, got up battered and bruised and still had to go to my outcall as agency booking. Luckily nice client iced my arm for me.

As I only have a small family when emergencies happen I drop everything to be there. Unfortunately I have 3 progressive illnesses so I can get ill at the drop of a hat but then I always make up for cancellations.

, cos of no power police alarm system went off so there I was soaking wet with armed response banging on my door. .

Thats odd, to have an alarm that contacts (Directly or indirectly) to the Police the alarm has to comply with certain standards, and such an alarm would not be triggered by a power cut.

Also an alarm call to the police would not initiate an armed response.

Thats odd, to have an alarm that contacts (Directly or indirectly) to the Police the alarm has to comply with certain standards, and such an alarm would not be triggered by a power cut.

Also an alarm call to the police would not initiate an armed response.

You don't know the situation Howard and therefore shouldn't comment on what you don't know about.

You don't know the situation Howard and therefore shouldn't comment on what you don't know about.

I know the laws relating to alarms and police responses, and it was the laws & the underpining rules that I commented on, So I have commentded on something I know fully about. :rolleyes:

Got to Sign on

I've had this, but not as a cancellation reason.

She wanted me to arrive early for booking so I could drive her to town centre to sign on.

I took my time to reply, 30 mins later she txt'ed me "have i scared u off hun?" :rolleyes::o

I know the laws relating to alarms and police responses, and it was the laws & the underpining rules that I commented on, So I have commentded on something I know fully about. :rolleyes:

But you don't know Kirsty's PERSONAL situation.

You wouldn't like to mention the statute, and, presumably, the Statutory Instrument made thereunder, would you? Some of us are serious nit pickers, who reach for the book whenever "the laws" are mentioned!