morttt

Views of the main parties on prostitution

19 posts in this topic

I wondered if someone could sum up the views of the main parties on prostitution. I know Labour is against it and Green wants to legalise it, but what about the Conservatives and Lib Dems?

In the end, I know conservatives will win in my area, but I'd still like to consider voting for someone else.

Thanks

During a recent House of Lords debate, the conservative spokesman stated that they were against prostitution in principle, but were not comfortable with Strict Liability.

I understand that sensible prostitution has been a core value for the Liberals for some time now but I can't confirm as I haven't researched their website on the matter yet. However, it was the Lib Dem MPs who fought so hard and for so long to get Strict Liability scrapped, particularly in the Committee stages, and so I will definitely be voting for them regardless of who the pollsters say will win in my constituency.

I wondered if someone could sum up the views of the main parties on prostitution. I know Labour is against it and Green wants to legalise it, but what about the Conservatives and Lib Dems?

In the end, I know conservatives will win in my area, but I'd still like to consider voting for someone else.

Thanks

I worry about the Greens, though their manifesto says they support decriminalisation, the main leader Caroline Lucas is in support of criminalising the purchase of sex.

The Liberals would get my vote for support of the sex industry. They did much in parliament and comittee to get some of the legislation changed. Evan Harris would get my vote if I lived in Oxford.

The Conservatives, they did vote aganst the legislation, but there are may worries. New MPs, some well documented Conservative MPs who have would want to ban prostitution. Alas my MP a Conservative was one of a few who voted for the legislation that went through. He is now speaker, so I am rather disenfrancished. I have UKIP and maybe 3 independents, and John Bercow.

So if I could vote, I would vote Liberal if there was chance the MP would get in, then Conservative.

Local issues might apply, and very occasionaly the local MP might go against the whip, as John Bercow did, (shame on him), and the Labour guy in West London, I forget his name, (well done sir, I would vote for you)

i shall be voting lib dem,the labour candidate in bury north,maryam khan is a fan of the facebook group, stop prostitution now, run by glasgow council, there are some labour mps supportive of sex workers such as john mcdonnel of hayes and middlesex (who i think elrond refers to)

There is no mention of prostitution in the manifestos of any of the main three parties. So it's clearly not near the top of anyone's priorities, and it means that, whoever is elected, nobody can claim there is an electoral "mandate" for further legislation.

Having said that, it wasn't mentioned in Labour's 2005 manifesto (and it took them a good four years before Brown caved in to the Harman brigade resulting in the current laws).

The Lib Dems put up the strongest fight against the recent Labour/radfem legislation.

A Tory lady MP (Nadine Dorris?) was also very critical of this legislation during Commons committee stage but I got the feeling that the Tory Party in general didn't really want to get involved.

The Blair New Labour was quite libertarian on some issues but that all changed when Brown-Harman took over.

So I'd say pray for a Lib Dem victory, but otherwise vote to keep Labour out, even if it means voting Tory.

Then again, it depends on your local candidates. If I had the opportunity to vote for Labour MP John McDonnell, I would.

Thanks

It doesn't matter what the population of this country thinks it's what the EU dictates. :rolleyes:

I wondered if someone could sum up the views of the main parties on prostitution. I know Labour is against it

Correction, it is one of HH's rusades to further her career in the Labour party.

Legalise it and tax it is of course the only sensible solution, but the girls will hate that idea :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter what the population of this country thinks it's what the EU dictates. :rolleyes:

Yeah but most of the EU thrives on prostitution and we're part of it!

Not true at all, different member states have very different laws on the subject.

Lots of things wrong with the EU, but let's keep it accurate.

The anti-sex league (religious groups and extremists feminists or radfems) has influence in all the main parties but they have more influence in Labour and the Tories, not as much in the Lib Dems so I would go for Lib Dems. However despite their move up the polls the Lib Dems will not get in power cause the fact that Nick Clegg is an Atheist (despite the fact his wife is religious) and that religious groups want to make sure that an Atheist does not become PM (typical religious paranoia) which is why the Church of England and the Catholic Church are not supporting them since they don't have as much influence there as they do with the other two.

If I was in politics I would suggest that prostitution should be legalised and have a tax free status. If religions can have a tax free status and that is THE biggest industry in the world then I don't why it would be a problem that prostitution should have tax free status either.

Legalise it and tax it is of course the only sensible solution, but the girls will hate that idea :rolleyes:

It is not illegal and is taxable so common sense prevails.

It would seem that when a politician has his back to the wall that he can find prostitutes useful :rolleyes:

Read this to see how this delightful chap is trading on the deaths of prostitutes :eek:

He evidently is a man of courage given that: Asked whether he had personally sanctioned the leaflets, he said he would not discuss the "mechanics" of his campaign but accused the Lib Dems of lying about his policies and voting record.

If I was in politics I would suggest that prostitution should be legalised and have a tax free status. If religions can have a tax free status and that is THE biggest industry in the world then I don't why it would be a problem that prostitution should have tax free status either.

It's probably not a vote-winner, but I like it!

A Tory lady MP (Nadine Dorris?) was also very critical of this legislation during Commons committee stage but I got the feeling that the Tory Party in general didn't really want to get involved.

Yes, Nadine Dorries, the Member for Mid Bedfordshire, aka Bridget Jones MP :rolleyes:

She's a strange one though - she's also very anti-abortion.

I would suggest that prostitution should be legalised and have a tax free status.

And as if by magic half of your suggestion is already in place.

Read this to see how this delightful chap is trading on the deaths of prostitutes :(

What exasperates me about this story is the party cracking whip! - "This was a locally produced leaflet," Ray Collins, the party's general secretary, said. "As soon as it came to my attention I immediately ensured that no more of these would be distributed."

I thought that we still had first-past-the-post, with the man's (or woman's) name on the voting paper, and addressing the voters in the constituency on constituency issues?

Not, it seems with labour, which is into control freakery!

The political parties would all like to see prostitution a thing of the past, but they haven't a clue how to go about it. The latest ham fisted attempt to end paid sexual services will just drive prostitutes into the arms of criminals and make the plight of working girls even worse than it was before Harman and her cronies tinkered about with it.

These stories, although not explicitly about prostitution, do not exactly fill one with optimism about a potential future Tory goverment approach to the subject

Secret Christian donors bankroll Tories

Increasingly powerful Conservative grassroots organisation numbers 37 prospective candidates among its members

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/02/secret-christian-donors-bankroll-tories

Rising Tory star Philippa Stroud ran prayer sessions to 'cure' gay people

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/may/02/conservatives-philippa-stroud-gay-cure