JKay

SATA Hard drives.

18 posts in this topic

At last I now have all the componants to build my next PC, decided not to go the latest/fastest spec but to take advantage of some good deals on stuff thats discounted but still more than good enough for what I use a PC for. I got an Asus M4N78 SE Motherboard (AM2+) & AMD athlon II x3 435 (AM3), this is a triple core running at 2.9ghz. both for £115, cheap but plenty of speed in reserve, now I've bought a couple of SATA DVD writers and a 320g SATA hard drive now if I'm not using RAID as I only have one HD do I have to change any setting in the BIOS if I'm not using anything thats IDE ?

At last I now have all the componants to build my next PC, decided not to go the latest/fastest spec but to take advantage of some good deals on stuff thats discounted but still more than good enough for what I use a PC for. I got an Asus M4N78 SE Motherboard (AM2+) & AMD athlon II x3 435 (AM3), this is a triple core running at 2.9ghz. both for £115, cheap but plenty of speed in reserve, now I've bought a couple of SATA DVD writers and a 320g SATA hard drive now if I'm not using RAID as I only have one HD do I have to change any setting in the BIOS if I'm not using anything thats IDE ?

You should be OK. I would expect that when you turn it on for the first time your BIOS will search for what's connected and ask you to confirm.

I've been wanting to do this for some time. What graphics card and how much ram did you buy?

I've been wanting to do this for some time. What graphics card and how much ram did you buy?

Card made buy MSI, its a nvidia geforce nx8400gs 512m DDR2, it cost £28, its silent, not fan just a large heat sink, not the fastest but for what I do its overkill! I have one stick of Kingston 2gig KVR800D2N6, not sure how much I paid, lost receipt but around £30? will add another stick if I ever get my hookie copy of "7" to install, most of the stuff came from the Computer fair held at carpenters lane, Stratford, east London.

Trying to keep things as silent as I can, I got a Zalmon CNPS8000 CPU cooler from YoYotech, near Goodge street tube, £28.

Trying to keep things as silent as I can, I got a Zalmon CNPS8000 CPU cooler from YoYotech, near Goodge street tube, £28.

If you're after quiet then 120mm Scythe fans on a fan controller are worth looking at.

I have the SE not the pro, no onboard graphics just the nvidia nforce 720d chipset, the sticker on the box makes it look like its got intergrated graphics but it dont.

Ok. My bad. Just cross referenced the model number on the Asus site.

B

If you're after quiet then 120mm Scythe fans on a fan controller are worth looking at.

B

I'm keen on Zalman had a few, never had to use the speed controler, just set it to slow and forget, best thing its flat, just a bit bulkier than a standard fan but its got heat pipes, I dont like coolers than stand up high as they can put to much pressure on the CPU/MB.

http://www.quietpc.com/gr-gr-eur/products/amdcooling/cnps8000

I'm keen on Zalman had a few, never had to use the speed controler, just set it to slow and forget, best thing its flat, just a bit bulkier than a standard fan but its got heat pipes, I dont like coolers than stand up high as they can put to much pressure on the CPU/MB.

For CPU fan I use the mobo's in built speed control. For chassis fans I use a simple 3 way controller costing under a tenner that means I can slow the fans right down.

The Scythe S-Flex 120mm 1,200 RPM fans with Sony FDBs (Fluid Dynamic Bearings) are hard to come by but incredibly quiet, especially when slowed right down (The 1,200 RPM fan has better noise characteristics than the slower 800 RPM model.):

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html

They're also expensive (often >£15 a pop), but definitely worth it and highly regarded on sites like silentpcreview.com.

(I use silicon gaskets to dampen vibration/resonance through the case too.)

B

For CPU fan I use the mobo's in built speed control. For chassis fans I use a simple 3 way controller costing under a tenner that means I can slow the fans right down.

The Scythe S-Flex 120mm 1,200 RPM fans with Sony FDBs (Fluid Dynamic Bearings) are hard to come by but incredibly quiet, especially when slowed right down (The 1,200 RPM fan has better noise characteristics than the slower 800 RPM model.):

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html

They're also expensive (often >£15 a pop), but definitely worth it and highly regarded on sites like silentpcreview.com.

(I use silicon gaskets to dampen vibration/resonance through the case too.)

B

I dont run case fans, more ofton or not I dont bother to refit the side panel!

LAZY....

I'm trying a EZcool power supply, says on the box supper silent, we shall see, its a 650w so should be up to the job, only £30, not my first choice untill I find a decent silent modular model at the right price, the Comp fairs dont seem to carry high end stuff.

I dont run case fans, more ofton or not I dont bother to refit the side panel!

LAZY....

That often adversely impacts air flow leading to higher temps. :o

I'm trying a EZcool power supply, says on the box supper silent, we shall see, its a 650w so should be up to the job, only £30, not my first choice untill I find a decent silent modular model at the right price, the Comp fairs dont seem to carry high end stuff.

I moved from an Enermax to a 650W Corsair modular PSU a couple of years back:

http://www.corsair.com/products/power_supplies.aspx

Almost silent (well as silent as active cooling can ever be), good design and nicely made (good quality Japanese caps etc) with plenty of flat cables that are easy to route too.

B

I have to change any setting in the BIOS if I'm not using anything thats IDE ?

BIOS should offer you three options: RAID/AHCI/IDE for each controller

With AHCI you get NCQ and HotSwap capability, but lose them if you set it as IDE

I set it as AHCI and notice a small performance boost over IDE (with benchmarking software)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248681-30-ahci

Only problem is when I installed Windows 7 it didn't detect any HDs, so I had to set it to IDE, install Windows 7, modify registry and then set it to AHCI in BIOS:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

I have this and set it to the lowest speed but don't find it so quiet. The rest of the components I have are quiet so it stands out.

I also picked it because it was flat and not heavy enough to exceed Intel's recommendations. I had the big Zalman Aero cooler before and it was super quiet compared to this.

Nothing beats the water cooling kit I had back in 2006, you could barely tell it was on, but was a hassle with upgrading.

I've just bought a motherboard/processor bundle from Novatech in Reading. It's an Intel quad core duo with 4GB ram. I also bought 3 500GB sata drives, and a few other bit's and bobs. Having put it together, it's running like a steamroller! I'm running Windows 7 on it, so I've now got a problem of getting all my old mail off the old pc, (Outlook Express, Windows XP), onto this new one, (Windows 7, Outlook 2007). It's a bloody nightmare! I've been googling this problem for days, and trying every solution, but nothing really works without destroying some other setting, or function. Any ideas would be welcome.

I've just bought a motherboard/processor bundle from Novatech in Reading. It's an Intel quad core duo with 4GB ram. I also bought 3 500GB sata drives, and a few other bit's and bobs. Having put it together, it's running like a steamroller! I'm running Windows 7 on it, so I've now got a problem of getting all my old mail off the old pc, (Outlook Express, Windows XP), onto this new one, (Windows 7, Outlook 2007). It's a bloody nightmare! I've been googling this problem for days, and trying every solution, but nothing really works without destroying some other setting, or function. Any ideas would be welcome.

Have you got an iPhone? If so, back up the mail and IE favourites etc to the iPhone then attach the iPhone to the new PC and synch it. Its amazing what comes across.

You should also be able to get a cable from SERIF that will give you a data link between the two PCs at about a tenner, then plug them both in and Import to Outlook 2007 from OE. etc

My hard drive went tits up last month and the iPhone saved the day on the settings etc from it's own copies.

Have you got an iPhone? If so, back up the mail and IE favourites etc to the iPhone then attach the iPhone to the new PC and synch it. Its amazing what comes across.

You should also be able to get a cable from SERIF that will give you a data link between the two PCs at about a tenner, then plug them both in and Import to Outlook 2007 from OE. etc

My hard drive went tits up last month and the iPhone saved the day on the settings etc from it's own copies.

Thanks Ghengis

No, unfortunately I don't have an Iphone - I have a company Blackberry (which at least I don't see the bill for)

This cable from SERIF, it's not just a cat 5 cross cable is it? It sounds too good to be true.

Thanks Ghengis

No, unfortunately I don't have an Iphone - I have a company Blackberry (which at least I don't see the bill for)

This cable from SERIF, it's not just a cat 5 cross cable is it? It sounds too good to be true.

Nope, you can find it here http://www.gizoo.co.uk/Products/PCGaming/PCGadgets/macToPcCable.htm

Although it says it is "Mac to PC" it also does Mac to Mac or PC to PC.

USB 2

To me, its worth a punt for ten squids

I am sure bill gates has a option in XP to do this. Its called Files and settings transfer Wizard. I do not know if it is compatabile with a XP to Win 7 upgrade. However i would be well suprised if he hasnt introduced some gizmo to do the same.