Jimmyredcab

BBC 1 9.00 PM Sunday

68 posts in this topic

The BBC in their infinite wisdom have decided that the Ipswich prostitute murders should be made into a drama, personally I think it is bad taste, those girls have mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters who don't need to be reminded of what must have been a nightmare.

Maybe I am turning into a softee, perish the thought. :o

Three part series, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

"I agree with Nick". Hold on; "I agree with Jimmy".

Shessh, I know how Gordon Brown must feel...

Completely agree with you Jimmy. I enjoy crime fiction but that is too near the knuckle and far, far too soon. I won't be watching.

It's my understanding that the families of three of the women co-operated fully in the making of this drama, and the families of the other two are not given much prominence in the show, at their request. From very positive previews, the story seems to emphasise exactly that - that they were daughters, sisters, cousins, real human beings, not just society's discards.

I'll be watching with interest. :o

Completely agree with you Jimmy. I enjoy crime fiction but that is too near the knuckle and far, far too soon. I won't be watching.

I will be watching. If done well, this type of drama is infinitely more engaging than Secret Dairy of a Callgirl. The Radio Times describes the drama thus:

Make no mistake, this is an exceptional drama; a powerful, thoughtful, profoundly affecting account of the murders of five young women, all prostitutes, in Ipswich in 2006 ... Basing a drama on harrowing real-life events that are still very fresh in collective minds is always a risky business. Yet Butchard has risen to the challenge brilliantly; he's respectful without being reverential ...

Let's hope it lives up to its billing.

It's my understanding that the families of three of the women co-operated fully in the making of this drama, and the families of the other two are not given much prominence in the show, at their request. From very positive previews, the story seems to emphasise exactly that - that they were daughters, sisters, cousins, real human beings, not just society's discards.

I'll be watching with interest. :o

I understand your point of view Caitlin, and I'm sure they couldn't have done it without the cooperation of the girls' families; I just don't think I've got the stomach for it.

I will watch it if only to see how realistic they make it, it will be interesting to see how they portray street girls. :o:confused:

The BBC in their infinite wisdom have decided that the Ipswich prostitute murders should be made into a drama, personally I think it is bad taste, those girls have mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters who don't need to be reminded of what must have been a nightmare.

Three part series, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

Have you asked them how they feel?

I'm sure the money will come in handy.

I will watch it if only to see how realistic they make it, it will be interesting to see how they portray street girls. :o:confused:

As socially disadvantaged victims of abject drug abuse and childhood tumult but with a degree of latent intellect.

That will be interesting :)

Have you asked them how they feel?

I'm sure the money will come in handy.

I would hope that no family members have accepted financial incentives.

If that is the case they should hang their heads in shame. :o:mad:

It's things like this that make me glad I don't have a telly.

I won't be watching as the programme does not really appeal to me.

However, I don't find it offensive and programmes and films have been made about many equally harrowing subjects.

It's things like this that make me glad I don't have a telly.

I find it strange that anyone in 2010 could not have a TV in their home, even though I only watch mine for about 30 minutes a day. :o:confused:

I will be taping it as I find these things fasinating, and yes I know bad taste. It just interests me :o

Agree 100% with you JRC (is there is a soft, caring side emerging here ??)

Not a good idea at all, I ask that TV is either educating, informing, making me think, challenging, tillating .... but above all ...entertaining me ...so !!

.......Not something I would wish to watch.

Drying paint would be preferable !

Well, I'd say 'Five Daughters' worked well as a drama. I'll be watching part 2 tomorrow night.

I find it strange that anyone in 2010 could not have a TV in their home, even though I only watch mine for about 30 minutes a day. :o:confused:

Oh, I used to have a TV. But when I moved house, I decided I wasn't interested in it, so got rid of it. Never missed it since.

I love watching films, but most telly bores the crap out of me. If there is something I really want to watch, I can get it on my PC. I rarely bother though.

However, I wouldn't want to live without Internet. That would send me into a cold sweat. I probably spend at least 50-60 hours a week online, including work.

Watched it, found it quite engaging, the fact is they were 5 daughters, they weren't born as smack / crack head street girls. I have a 20 year daughter who is doing really well at Uni', good at managing her life with what seems like a great bloke as a boyfriend. TV like this should remind us all of easy it can be for your life to be thrown totally off track. From what I remember at the time most of the girls cam from 'nice' families, the phrase 'there but for the grace of God' is worth remembering. I'm looking forward to the next few episodes, I rarely watch TV but will watch this.

An added point of interest for me was recently meeting and having a conversation with one of the main profilers on the case. He is convinced and I go along with him that there have been several other victims of of Steve Wright, some perhaps never dicovered and some he has never been charged with the murder of.

I too found it very watchable and engaging, albeit with an extremely uncomfortable subject matter. It was very sensitively handled imho and all of the three girls featured have been portrayed as rounded (if troubled) individuals. I wouldn't brand it as exploitative TV, but understand those who choose not to watch it. I know nothing about the street scene btw, but found it's portrayal unsurprisingly grim and completely unattractive.

I will watch the remaining episodes as well.

I found it quite disturbing really. Hope hh watched it:mad:

Two things in stark contrast emerged from this programme.

1. How Moxey has turned his life around from an ex-con with a scouse accent to a detective who now speaks the Queens English.

2. On the other hand Raquel has really let herself go since leaving Weatherfield.

Oh, I used to have a TV. But when I moved house, I decided I wasn't interested in it, so got rid of it. Never missed it since.

I love watching films, but most telly bores the crap out of me. If there is something I really want to watch, I can get it on my PC. I rarely bother though.

However, I wouldn't want to live without Internet. That would send me into a cold sweat. I probably spend at least 50-60 hours a week online, including work.

Quite. TV used to interest me only for the news coverage. Now I'm permanently up-to-date on that thanks to the internet, TV has lost its one and only point for me.

it is bad taste, those girls have mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters

It doesn't matter though Jimmy. Those girls were only prostitutes. Because of the job they do they have no right to privacy or consideration even in violent death.

The BBC will call it "Cutting edge" which is media speak for "lets see what we can get away with"

I wonder if the BBC are considering making a Drama out of the Alder Hey children's hospital body snatch scandal or maybe a dramatization of poor Jamie Bulger or Rhys Jones murders.

How often do you hear about prostitutes being victims and vulnerable.

The BBC are abusing these girls and their families IMHO for ratings, and when you think about the effect on the families they're actually being turned into victims by the BBC. They're morally no better than pimping the memory of these girls for financial gain.

They get away with it because the prostitute is marginalised by a hypocritical public to the very edge of society and doesn't have any real public sympathy because I think, our (western) cultural perceptions of prostitution and its practitioners prevent any show of sympathy (and certainly empathy) lest we be seen to be supporting a socially unacceptable subject by association.

The fear of not fitting in with majority thinking has a lot to answer for.

Basically nobody cares because of the way society sees us. We are nothing to most. We dont deserve thought or respect. We get pity instead of respect, we are abused and exploited by the media and popular culture instead of inclusion.

I don't think you need to make sheepish excuses for feeling compassion for these girls and their families Jim!.

Maybe its nothing to do with being a "softee" and more to do with being someone who knows a prostitute is just a person with an unusual job.

An added point of interest for me was recently meeting and having a conversation with one of the main profilers on the case. He is convinced and I go along with him that there have been several other victims of of Steve Wright, some perhaps never dicovered and some he has never been charged with the murder of.

That would make sense. The number of murders in so short a period smacked of an escalation, not an out of the blue abberation. His treatment of his previous wife shows a consistently darker side to his character.

xxx

Pru

I'm almost certain that at the time of the case it emerged that he was a member of staff on a cruise ship at the same time as Suzy Lamplugh, shortly before her murder, and there was speculation as to whether he was the mysterious 'Mr Kipper'.