division72

Laptops w/o hard drives

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of anywhere that sells latops without a hard drive. I'd like to upgrade my current laptop but would like to keep my 32GB SSD loaded with XP, so I can just swap the hard drive into the new one.

Ideally i'd lie a dual core with 2GB's of Ram, widescreen with a good screenfor watching DVD's.

Any suggestions?

Some may correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know it's not as easy as that. Your current HDD is configured for your current laptop (applicable drivers etc for the hardware on that laptop) - using it on a different machine will only work if you reformat and reinstall all - else Windows will fail to start as it doesn't recognise the new laptop.

I'd suggest getting a new laptop and copy across what you need from your current HDD.

I think justagirl is correct, when you install Windows, it scans your hardware and enables and keeps other drivers disabled and sets that as the default boot profile.

Maybe you could boot in safe-mode when you migrate to the new laptop?

More importantly, it's likely you'll lose Windows activation.

Hardly seems worth the effort transferring a 32GB SSD into a new laptop, if you could find one for sale which seems unlikely.

Transferring the SSD to a new laptop could be problematic as has been pointed out... there will almost certainly be a number of devices on the new laptop which will need device drivers for a start.

Unlike the dog that was Vista, Windows 7 is a credible upgrade to XP. My Win 7 installation alone is around 15GB, before counting program files etc... factor in the performance degradation over time that is inherent in SSDs and it would be better to buy a new laptop with Win 7 preinistalled, pick up a latest generation Intel SSD (with Trim support which counters the performance issue).

B

Maybe you could boot in safe-mode when you migrate to the new laptop?

Nope it won't work I'm afraid. It will keep looping back.

Nope it won't work I'm afraid. It will keep looping back.

It's sometimes possible to boot into Safe Mode and remove everything from device manager (or do that before removing the disk from the donor machine). A program like Driver Cleaner could also be used to remove all drivers.

However, the fundamental point is that it's not worth the hassle, given the price and increasing performance of hardware over time.

Modern hardware like a Core 2 Duo, or the newer i5/i7 CPU (if you can get one that is) deserves a modern OS, and XP no longer cuts the mustard.

B

It's technically possible to do what you suggest, though as others have said there will likely be issues with drivers after swapping the drives. You could re-run the XP install to "repair" the installation and get the correct drivers for the majority of new hardware detected, but there will still be a certain amount of "bloat" relating to drivers for hardware that no longer exists.

You could try removing devices you know no longer exist via device manager if you're keen and confident.

Regardless though, I don't know of anywhere that sells laptops without drives - it's a bit of a niche market. Your best bet is probably ebay.

And on top of that I agree with other posters that you might as well buy a new laptop with Windows 7 installed. Compared to XP the interface is noticably different, but it's also easy to get to grips with. If you're keen enough you could try and image the contents of the "new" harddrive onto your SSD, replace the SSD as your primary drive and then use the one you removed as an external drive using a suitable usb caddy / case, if that makes sense.

It's technically possible to do what you suggest, though as others have said there will likely be issues with drivers after swapping the drives. You could re-run the XP install to "repair" the installation and get the correct drivers for the majority of new hardware detected, but there will still be a certain amount of "bloat" relating to drivers for hardware that no longer exists.

You could try removing devices you know no longer exist via device manager if you're keen and confident.

Regardless though, I don't know of anywhere that sells laptops without drives - it's a bit of a niche market. Your best bet is probably ebay.

And on top of that I agree with other posters that you might as well buy a new laptop with Windows 7 installed. Compared to XP the interface is noticably different, but it's also easy to get to grips with. If you're keen enough you could try and image the contents of the "new" harddrive onto your SSD, replace the SSD as your primary drive and then use the one you removed as an external drive using a suitable usb caddy / case, if that makes sense.

Not necessarily that straightforward (or as easy as HDD -> HDD) as IIRC SSDs need to be aligned differently to a regular hard disk (I've not really looked into this, as my X200s shipped with an SSD, but it's something that crops up when people ask how to migrate from a HDD to a SSD).

B

Not necessarily that straightforward (or as easy as HDD -> HDD) as IIRC SSDs need to be aligned differently to a regular hard disk (I've not really looked into this, as my X200s shipped with an SSD, but it's something that crops up when people ask how to migrate from a HDD to a SSD).

B

Quite possibly but it's only an option. And technically it should still work; you'd just lose some performance by increasing the IO required for each operation.

Quite possibly but it's only an option. And technically it should still work; you'd just lose some performance by increasing the IO required for each operation.

Ran out of time to do the edit... if you go down the route of imaging partitions there's perhaps the risk of losing the MBR. It's fixable but maybe not recommended for most.