Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elrond

May day marches in London.

9 posts in this topic

Look carefully you will see the International Union of Sex Workers banner in the ITV news. About 40 seconds in, immediatley before Tony Benn speaks.

http://www.itv.com/london/?intcmp=NAV_LONDONTO0_LOCALNEW1

He is a supporter of sex workers. So not all Labour are anti.

Edited by elrond
correct spelling

LOL

Just been watching French and German news and it occurred to me that May Day marches in the UK seem to be comparatively sedate with a more 'reflective' quality compared to some other European countries... Think in Berlin today they had to draft in thousands of extra police to deal with the proposed marches and direct declarations of 'war' among opposing groups. Around 500 neo Nazis meeting thousands of anti Nazi protesters intend of stopping that their May Day march... Generally, the day appears to be marked with maximum rioting, burning cars etc. Maybe that is more of a French and German celebration style...?

Mind you I tend to yawn when people slag of some European countries as police states blablabla. Having lived in non European countries most of my childhood where the Banana firmly formed part of any republic, I see a huge difference! Oh, and I remember vividly visiting Spanish relatives in Andalusia during the Franco era as a young child. The local Guardia Civil used to frog march foreign hippies as they came off the boat from Morocco to the local barber where they had their heads forcefully shaven. Used to gawp with a mixture of bemusement and fear as the Guardias definitely put the 'heavy' into policing... :D

LOL

Just been watching French and German news and it occurred to me that May Day marches in the UK seem to be comparatively sedate with a more ‘reflective’ quality compared to some other European countries... Think in Berlin today they had to draft in thousands of extra police to deal with the proposed marches and direct declarations of ‘war’ among opposing groups. Around 500 neo Nazis meeting thousands of anti Nazi protesters intend of stopping that their May Day march... Generally, the day appears to be marked with maximum rioting, burning cars etc. Maybe that is more of a French and German celebration style...?

Mind you I tend to yawn when people slag of some European countries as police states blablabla. Having lived in non European countries most of my childhood where the Banana firmly formed part of any republic, I see a huge difference! Oh, and I remember vividly visiting Spanish relatives in Andalusia during the Franco era as a young child. The local Guardia Civil used to frog march foreign hippies as they came off the boat from Morocco to the local barber where they had their heads forcefully shaven. Used to gawp with a mixture of bemusement and fear as the Guardias definitely put the ‘heavy’ into policing... :D

The sleepy town near to where I live, Aylesbury, was the target of the English Defence League Aylesbury Demonstration 1 May 2010. The town was boarded up on the Friday in prepartion. As it happened little happened, 800 turned up and 12 arrests, there were as many police on duty. Not really sure why they picked on Aylesbury.

http://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/EDL-leave-Aylesbury-after-peaceful.6265965.jp

i saw the banner on newsnight bbc2 yesterday 18.20,which had brief footage of the march

The sleepy town near to where I live, Aylesbury, was the target of the English Defence League Aylesbury Demonstration 1 May 2010. The town was boarded up on the Friday in prepartion. As it happened little happened, 800 turned up and 12 arrests, there were as many police on duty. Not really sure why they picked on Aylesbury.

Cor blimey, something happened in Aylesbury, i lived there for 16 years and nothing ever happened other than the local crack dealers being moved on from the eddie playing fields, funny watching the coppers running after dodgy little dealers on mountain bikes, oh yes, and the usual drag it out onto the street domestics after too much alcahol consumption on a saturday night.eek.xx

I do hope the may day protest in Greece and Portugal are not a harbinger of the same happening here as we get to grips with our deficit and mounting debt.

I never have understood these Mayday marches, what do they actually acheive apart from giving the police overtime and an excuse to meet up in a mass :eek:

Hmm, I wish I had checked the local news on Saturday but not exactly something you think about.

Decided to go to Aylesbury as they have a great pet shop to get some guineapig food and other pet stuff. Arrived at about 12pm and there were so many police that I have to say I was speechless. :eek:

Everything was shut down for the demonstration, the shops etc. I did not even know who the English Defence League was so had to google when I got home.. They certainly prepared for that one. Must have cost the local businesses a lot of money.

Hmm, I wish I had checked the local news on Saturday but not exactly something you think about.

Decided to go to Aylesbury as they have a great pet shop to get some guineapig food and other pet stuff. Arrived at about 12pm and there were so many police that I have to say I was speechless. :eek:

Everything was shut down for the demonstration, the shops etc. I did not even know who the English Defence League was so had to google when I got home.. They certainly prepared for that one. Must have cost the local businesses a lot of money.

I only knew about it because it was mentioned a bit around my village, then on Friday a friends face book profile had pictures of the 'clock fountain' in Kingsbury Square all boarded up, along with the Car Phone Ware House and the base of the statue of John Hampden in Market Square.