whitehorse

What's RUNDLL ?

23 posts in this topic

I don't know if anyone can help, and I'd be obliged if they can.

Last couple of times I've booted up my laptop ( windows XP ) before going on to my page I've had a little box appear on the screen. The box is headed RUNDLL, and the message advises " ERROR LOADING C:windows142skc.dll the specified module could not be found ".

Is this a major problem ? Laptop seems to run o.k. Anyone any ideas as to why this has happened and what's caused it .

Off the top of my head RUNDLL and other DLL files are associated with the registry and operating system.

Your registry may need cleaning and there are free programmes available for this but wait for more knowledgeable posters on this forum to advise you as my understanding is very limited. I don't think it's a serious problem but those messages are annoying.

rundll loads the executable (.exe) files/programs.

Safety first:

Scan for viruses, then download Malwarebytes and run that.

Then download CCleaner and give that a run through.

Safety first:

I use this and it's an excellent programme. :D

" ERROR LOADING C:windows142skc.dll the specified module could not be found ".

This bit looks a bit strange. Google doesn't recognise 142skc.dll.

This bit looks a bit strange. Google doesn't recognise 142skc.dll.

That's why I gave the advice I did. These problems are quite often caused by viruses or spyware.

Last couple of times I've booted up my laptop ( windows XP ) before going on to my page I've had a little box appear on the screen. The box is headed RUNDLL, and the message advises " ERROR LOADING C:windows142skc.dll the specified module could not be found ".

Is this a major problem ? Laptop seems to run o.k. Anyone any ideas as to why this has happened and what's caused it .

If you do use CCleaner (fingers crossed that you do).

Make sure you use the registry cleaner as well as the top one.

I use this and it's an excellent programme. :D
Safety first:

Off the top of my head RUNDLL and other DLL files are associated with the registry and operating system.

Your registry may need cleaning and there are free programmes available for this but wait for more knowledgeable posters on this forum to advise you as my understanding is very limited. I don't think it's a serious problem but those messages are annoying.

Thanks everyone ; I should be covered by McAffee anti virus.............and I don't believe it, as I'm typing this McAffee has just issued a pop-up to tell me it's found and removed a Trojan. I'll run Malwarebytes and CCleaner ( Dell put them both on the computer ) as a just in case.

Again, many thanks to all. :(

Thanks everyone ; I should be covered by McAffee anti virus.............and I don't believe it, as I'm typing this McAffee has just issued a pop-up to tell me it's found and removed a Trojan. I'll run Malwarebytes and CCleaner ( Dell put them both on the computer ) as a just in case.

Again, many thanks to all. :D

Well, I've run everything and re-booted the computer...............and that f***king pop-up is still there. Hey-ho.

Well, I've run everything and re-booted the computer...............and that f***king pop-up is still there. Hey-ho.

If you feel brave you could run regedit and find and remove 142skc.dll from the run list. I can't remember the exact locations of the run list and my windows laptop battery is dead.

Best to backup registry first I guess.

Did you run through the registry cleaner in CCleaner?

If you feel brave you could run regedit and find and remove 142skc.dll from the run list. I can't remember the exact locations of the run list and my windows laptop battery is dead.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion

then either Run or RunOnce (there was a third option in older versions, RunAsService perhaps)

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun

again, followed by either Run or RunOnce.

You can also search for "142skc.dll" by going to "Edit" then "Find...", or hitting ctrl+F. You should be able to just delete the entry, or entries, containing "142skc.dll". It's not a file I'm familiar with, and as was already mentioned google has no results for it either, so it looks dodgy to me. Definitely backup your registry first though. It's as easy as going to "File" -> "Export" in Regedit.

Wow! I'm surprised Malewarebytes did not discover it -- if it is indeed a piece of malware. Odd.

142skc.dll sounds like malware to me. The fact it's not found could be a result of anti-virus software disabling or partly removing it, but not removing the settings that start it when you boot up the computer.

rundll loads the executable (.exe) files/programs.

As busencumen says RUNDLL (& RUNDLL32) are legitimate parts of windows. When you run a program Windows uses them to setup the environment (allocate memory etc.) for that program.

Some virus/trojans try to hide from security software or re-install themselves. There is a continuous arms race between the two, which is why you should always ensure your ant-virus software is up to date.

I find Advanced System Care is very good at cleaning up the aftermath.

It will nag you a little to upgrade to pay version when you run the update but that's not necessary, just stick with the free version and note the semantic difference between update & upgrade.

Wow! I'm surprised Malewarebytes did not discover it -- if it is indeed a piece of malware. Odd.

In fairness, when I scanned with Malwarebytes it did advise that it had found 2 infections and did I want them removed. I pressed yes but I still got the pop-up when I re-booted, as I said earlier.

In fairness, when I scanned with Malwarebytes it did advise that it had found 2 infections and did I want them removed. I pressed yes but I still got the pop-up when I re-booted, as I said earlier.

Yes, I'm just surprised MBAM was unable to clean the machine from said 'malware' - odd.

Did you run through the registry cleaner in CCleaner?

No I didn't. I must admit I didn't even know that bit existed until your post prompted me to look. Thanks for that.

I have run it now and it's shown up all sorts of issues. I've pressed the " fix " button ( hope I've done right, as it then asks you " are you sure you want to fix these ", which sows all kinds of seeds of doubt that you're doing the right thing ) and hopefully that will be that, but I suppose only time will tell.

142skc.dll sounds like malware to me. The fact it's not found could be a result of anti-virus software disabling or partly removing it, but not removing the settings that start it when you boot up the computer.

As busencumen says RUNDLL (& RUNDLL32) are legitimate parts of windows. When you run a program Windows uses them to setup the environment (allocate memory etc.) for that program.

Some virus/trojans try to hide from security software or re-install themselves. There is a continuous arms race between the two, which is why you should always ensure your ant-virus software is up to date.

I find Advanced System Care is very good at cleaning up the aftermath.

It will nag you a little to upgrade to pay version when you run the update but that's not necessary, just stick with the free version and note the semantic difference between update & upgrade.

Thanks for that, W.T. I'll download it and give it a whirl. :D

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion

then either Run or RunOnce (there was a third option in older versions, RunAsService perhaps)

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun

again, followed by either Run or RunOnce.

You can also search for "142skc.dll" by going to "Edit" then "Find...", or hitting ctrl+F. You should be able to just delete the entry, or entries, containing "142skc.dll". It's not a file I'm familiar with, and as was already mentioned google has no results for it either, so it looks dodgy to me. Definitely backup your registry first though. It's as easy as going to "File" -> "Export" in Regedit.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I've only just found out what the difference is between the right and left mouse buttons. :D

First of all, download and install Microsoft Security Essentials (assuming you have a legit copy of Windows):

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

If that doesn't solve the problem, clarify what you mean by 'my page'... if you're referring to a web page/browser home page, post the browser you are using, version etc (Help -> About) and version of Windows.

This is prolly either a Trojan or some other form of malware (which is where MSE comes in), or could be referring to a rogue browser extension which itself could be malware related...

B

First of all, download and install Microsoft Security Essentials (assuming you have a legit copy of Windows):

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

If that doesn't solve the problem, clarify what you mean by 'my page'... if you're referring to a web page/browser home page, post the browser you are using, version etc (Help -> About) and version of Windows.

This is prolly either a Trojan or some other form of malware (which is where MSE comes in), or could be referring to a rogue browser extension which itself could be malware related...

B

Thanks for that, bacchus. I'm the only person that uses this laptop so the page I was refering to was the Admin area that's accessed after I've put in my password.

Having said all that I've booted up this morning and............no pop-up. So many thanks again to everyone, and I certainly know alot more about computers, and potential hazards, than I did 24 hours ago. :D