akanostromo

Question re our Home secretary

20 posts in this topic

Just read a piece on the dear Jacqui & her expense claims by Michael White in today's Grauniad,which contains the following;

"She pays her sister a "decent whack" in rent and spends more time at Sara Smith's place than people realise."

Is this the columnist Sara Smith who has been dutifully regurgitating the Coaker / Smith/HH rubbish at every opportunity??

Sort of shows how politics is made, better to work in a sausage factory

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/feb/10/mps-expenses-freedom-of-information

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/complaint-over-smiths-housing-claim-1605379.html

Edited by akanostromo
proof reading

Acording to the Daily Express, "Her sister Sara Smith, 39, is a TV news reporter for BBC South East."

Better yet, the wretched woman apparently employs her husband, Richard Timmey, as a Parliamentary Researcher, at £40000 p.a. He, without declaring their relationship, writes letters to a local paper for her constituency, The Redditch Advertiser defending her policies.... see : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/3884523/Jacqui-Smiths-husband-behind-series-of-defensive-letters.html

And we, poor sods we are, pay the taxes that support this farrago

According to the Sunday Times today, the Westminster gossip is that Jacqui Smith's tenure as Home Secretary is looking decidedly shaky, with the recent embarrassment about her housing allowance adding to disquiet about her competence.

The bad news is - Vernon Coaker is being spoke of as a possible replacement :mad:

The bad news is - Vernon Coaker is being spoke of as a possible replacement :mad:

I wonder who might be involved in spreading some of the disquiet?

Strange little comment at the bottom of the article

So she pays £5k per annum for her London billet, and claims £24k pa second home allowance for the Redditch drum. So clears £19k cash profit.

I still think we should lobby for the following offences to be made 'strict liability'. It's important to send out a 'message' to these corrupt politicos, that their days of ruthless exploitation of the taxpayers are over:

1. Misadvising the authorities as to exactly how much of ther time she spends in London as opposed to Redditch.

2. Extracting monies from the Exchequer by deliberately exploiting loopholes in the legislation rather than claiming what could be seen in this case as a reasonable sum i.e. £5k or 3/7 x £24k, whichever is lower.

Strange little comment at the bottom of the article

Poor sub-editing, I think. As always, we can rely on the Daily Mail for proper in-depth treatment:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1145571/Neighbours-make-new-complaint-Jacqui-Smith-She-stays-months-year.html

Relevant quote is:

"The Taplins, who have lived in Ms Smith's sister's London street for three years, point out that they are not members of the Tory Party. Mrs Taplin said: 'I voted for Ken Livingstone to be London mayor but changed to Boris last year.'

Mr Taplin added: 'I have voted Tory in the past but I think Gordon Brown is doing a pretty good job and may vote for him next time.'"

i.e. it's establishing their good faith in the matter. They're not Tory activists cashing in.

Does all this mean that Jacqui Smith's sister is 'controlled for gain'?

Mr Taplin added: 'I have voted Tory in the past but I think Gordon Brown is doing a pretty good job and may vote for him next time.'"

i.e. it's establishing their good faith in the matter. They're not Tory activists cashing in.

That's the reason why this clause 13 and 20 will pass. That's why this bloody government will be voted in again. This country does not hate this government enough because of the word 'labour'. Even the kids like them.:P

And she was offered a "grace and favour" residence but turned it down, wonder why!!!

This whole living expenses thing has been so abused, and will always be open to abuse; I would propose that the state buys a nearby hotel or two, with enough rooms for all non-London MPs (and for those outside reasonable commuting distance), furnishes them, and allocates them for use by those MPs when the House is sitting. I'm sure it would be cheaper in the long run.

She spent the Christmas period in London - which shows that she considers that address her main home - she's also here now during the Parliamentary recess
this was from one of the articles..

BIG DEAL , so she spent xmas with her sister, and to right she is spending lots of time just now, but a bit to late Mrs ! ..

She is a lying stealing thieving grubby cow or just another pig with snout in. She should be forced to pay it back : If I had an employee with their hand in the till and giving me the line , it is within the rules so it must be ok ! I would make their life very difficult indeed..

Its like me going on a business trip and claiming for a £500 hotel when I stayed in a B&B (there is a biz niz opprtunity ladies , just make sure you can take a credit card and it reads "smart hotel" as do the receipts, rather than "Madam's Bordello ! ")

Likewise the MP's should be forced to give up their second paid for homes if within commuting distance . After all their constituents are obliged to commute to earn a living, and do not get tax free houses and a john lewis list.

have fun everyone..

Uncle..

What I found crazy was that an MP with a constiuency in London could still claim the second homes allowance!

I loved the letter in the Telegraph which suggested the mobile phone records should be used to figure out where jackqui Smith spent her time between the two residences. That would be JUSTICE.

What I found crazy was that an MP with a constiuency in London could still claim the second homes allowance!

I think you

Elrond - I was watching Question Time last week and this point came up - Piers Morgan (I'm not a fan of his) was on the panel but he made a good point - all that's needed to be done is check the logs of the security police she has - the neighbours know when she is at her sisters as the police are based outside (usually twice a week) - hope she gets loads of grief !!

If these politicians must get a second home allowance why don't they just make it that the allowance is for the less expensive option for either property !!