Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coventrypunter

VHF radio reception in poor reception area

12 posts in this topic

My parents have just moved into a sheltered housing house in a VHF reception area which can best be described as 'crap'. It can get the main BBC channels, but not in sterio.

Where he lived before he got a good VHF signal with a bit of bell wire in the ariel connection of his tuner.

Now he needs an ariel. He is not allowed to do any building works (Proper ariel in the loft is out then) so something he can have stuck to the wall in his living room would be ideal.

(He does not like digital radio. says it sounds plastickey.....)

Any suggestions. Makes and models would help too.

Thanks

If you get hold of a copy of "Practical Wireless" magazine, there are a number of advertisers in there who sell various types of aerials/antennas for both amateur radio and private communication systems. Although not primarily intended for your sort of need, if you explain what you are trying to do, you might find they have something along the lines of a broadband VHF aerial that might work.

Worth a look, but so much of what Maplins sell is disappointing when you get it home.

Hmm. I have never had problems

Could you expand on that please, Bradley (Or is it Timothy West?);)

Hmm. I have never had problems

Could you expand on that please, Bradley (Or is it Timothy West?);)

I do buy stuff from Maplin, but as an example; I bought a small solar panel from them to maintain battery charge on an old car which is rarely used. This was supposed to have to be capable of producing 2.5 watts. When I tried it with a test meter on a really sunny day and pointed directly at the sun it produced about half a watt at very best. A cable-tie gun I bought there broke the first time I used it as did a lampholder unit which switches a light on after dark. If your dad really wants stereo when the signal is so weak, I suspect that you will have to pay for something which has some quality to it.

Not sure if he would be flattered but I think that Bradley was one of Timothy West's finest works :)

Not sure if he would be flattered but I think that Bradley was one of Timothy West's finest works ;)

I agree. Possibly the best comedy of all time.

Worth a look, but so much of what Maplins sell is disappointing when you get it home.

It is probably worth starting off with a very simple wire dipole aerial whicj would be very cheap from Maplin or somewhere (you may already have one if you kept the bits with the FM). I would suggest that the next port of call is to put a small amplifier between the aerial and the FM.

yep; ultimately it will be "suck it and see"; Maplins have a little wire FM dipole for £4.99; even they cannot get that wrong.

BTW, I also loved Brass with Timothy West as Bradley Hardacre. ;):D

BTW, I also loved Brass with Timothy West as Bradley Hardacre. ;):)

especially his sessions with the very agreeable Agnes Fairchild; I can see him taking off his braces right now :D