logypot

Surrey Brothel owners found guilty

16 posts in this topic

Strange that they didnt get done for brothel keeping :D

Strange that they didnt get done for brothel keeping :D

Charged with the more serious offences only to save time and money. It seems fairly clear cut and they deserve everything they will get so why bother with lesser charges which will only add to the admin and nothing to the sentence.

trafficking is a no no and they deserved all they got !!

Brothel keeping is considered just as serious as controlling prostitution for gain, both offenses carrying a maximum of 7 years (I stand to be corrected). Controlling prostitution for gain is not linked with people trafficking which is why Im confused, the two can go hand in hand but I thought were seperate offences. To just do the pair for controlling prostitution IMO is letting them off lightly. Surely if found guilty of brothel keeping, controlling and people trafficking they could combine the sentences to make sure they were locked up for a very very long time?

Brothel keeping is considered just as serious as controlling prostitution for gain, both offenses carrying a maximum of 7 years (I stand to be corrected). Controlling prostitution for gain is not linked with people trafficking which is why Im confused, the two can go hand in hand but I thought were seperate offences. To just do the pair for controlling prostitution IMO is letting them off lightly. Surely if found guilty of brothel keeping, controlling and people trafficking they could combine the sentences to make sure they were locked up for a very very long time?

You are correct. The maximum penalty for both is 7 years. Trafficking for sexual exploitation is 14 years.

Very unlikely that the sentences would be consecutive as opposed to concurrent.

The prosecution obviously thought that they had sufficient evidence to prove controlling and conspiracy to traffick without the need to prosecute for brothel keeping.

It's prison and Proceeds of Crime orders for these two - and rightly so.

I wonder what happened to the punters in these places.

I wonder what happened to the punters in these places.

The arrests dated back to last May/June time so long before the new laws came into affect

The arrests dated back to last May/June time so long before the new laws came into affect

Although theres a quote from the detective thou:

Scotland Yard's Det Insp Kevin Hyland said men who use prostitutes must realise that they are fuelling human misery.

He said: 'In April we arrested three men for purchasing sex from exploited women. We only have to prove there is exploitation, not just trafficking, but women who are controlled or subjected to degrading behaviour.

But I wonder if hes talking about THIS years April after the new laws came in? So three punters have been arrested.

But I wonder if hes talking about THIS years April after the new laws came in? So three punters have been arrested.

I didnt read the two phrases as connected. I assumed that he was talking about a seperate incident as he talks about women not having to be trafficked which in this case it was proven they were

My reading of this is that DI Hyland was referring to THIS April and the 3 arrests in Newham on 1 April, of which there have been several threads in the "Legalities and Legislation" section of the forum.

Caging these girl's in a van - they are pure scum and deserve the full weight of the law. I am not into young foreign girl's surely there must be sign's that these girl's are not acting on their own free will - if I ever thought a woman was being forced to have sex, I would leave and report it straight away.

I often wonder how places like these find clients. I have very limited experience in that sort of field but consider myself pretty worldy wise in relation to what goes on in my locality, probably because the internet makes it so easy to keep up to date with whats happening where.

Given many of these places were close to me and I had absolutely no idea they existed I can only assume these are the sorts of foreign adds you see in the back of the local paper (the sort I ignore because they arent on the web). You often see oriental massage adds "new girls each week" listed.

I dont mean to be unfair if these adds are genuine but I also cant help but wonder why this sort of thing is still going on in an industry like this. Girls, guys, whoever need to advertise to get clients for these girls so how come its still happening? I would have thought catching these bastards would be as simple as looking through the papers in your area, checking them out and job done. I understand they need evidence to make sure they catch those responsible but does it really need to take 9 months or under cover work, i.e. 9 months of womens suffering all the while the police are watching. We have enough laws to catch the bastards so why is it we are still opperating in an almost third world manner when it comes to such horrific crimes or is it just like the rest of the indistry that in most part if they cant see it, it cant be happening

I would have thought catching these bastards would be as simple as looking through the papers in your area, checking them out and job done.

Unfortunately the previous administration, in their infinite wisdom, sought to suppress adverts concerned with the sale of sexual services thus denying the authorities a source of information, not their finest hour IMHO.

We have enough laws to catch the bastards so why is it we are still opperating in an almost third world manner when it comes to such horrific crimes or is it just like the rest of the indistry that in most part if they cant see it, it cant be happening

Very Well Said !