roadie

Serviced Apartment

12 posts in this topic

I'm meeting my favourite girl (and a few of her friends) in 2 weeks time, and after the session we are planning to sit round drinking then crashing out on the bed for the night.

As there may be as many as 8 of us, using a hotel is not practical. I've been looking at serviced apartments who let for one night only, but how do they work and more importantly, do they have a reception we would need to pass in order to get to the room?

Are there any downsides you know of and would 8 of us get away with staying the night?

Any info on these would be appreciated.

As a rule of thumb services appartments are available for weekly (7 day)lets. Single night services apartments are available but it would depend on your area as to weather they are available where you want them. Late Rooms is quite a good source of single night serviced appartments.

Serviced appartments are normal flats, so no reception unless you happen to book one with a concierge. You normally have to meet an agent to collect the keys, other than that, thats it. Collect keys flat is yours, post the keys in the post box when you leave. As long as you didnt create a disturbance there is no need for anyone to know how many people are there although someone will have to take responsibility for booking the room.

Daily let services appartments are not usually cancelable, so its your loss if you cant make the booking, most wont transfer the dates either. You pay on booking plus around £200 to £250 which is credited back to your card as long as there are no damages.

Think thats about it. Did you have a particular concern?

I'm meeting my favourite girl (and a few of her friends) in 2 weeks time, and after the session we are planning to sit round drinking then crashing out on the bed for the night.

As there may be as many as 8 of us, using a hotel is not practical. I've been looking at serviced apartments who let for one night only, but how do they work and more importantly, do they have a reception we would need to pass in order to get to the room?

Are there any downsides you know of and would 8 of us get away with staying the night?

Any info on these would be appreciated.

I've used serviced apartments and found them very useful for the purpose. The usual arrangement I have found is that the external door has a key code if there is no-one like the caretaker available and the keys are left in the mailbox ( unlocked ). The letting agent will give you the code over the phone. When you leave you simply return the keys to the same box.

When I have been arriving, it has usually been early evening and there is no-body from the landlord on site. I can't imagine that there will be anybody there all day in the places I have been to, unless the staff use an unoccupied apartment. There is never any evidence of an office.

I can see no reason why you can't fill the apartment with people. The only reason the landlord might be alerted would be by other residents complaining about noise, etc, or if there was a remote link to the security cameras.

Whenever I have used serviced apartments, I have never seen another soul from the moment I have arrived until I left, and I have found apartments most satisfactory for the purpose.

I've used serviced apartments on several occasions and usually you don't see anyone else at all. However, I once stayed in such apartments near the Bullring in Birmingham, where they not only took £250 cash deposit on arrival, they also had security guards patrolling on weekends to make sure there were no more people in the apartment than it could legitimately sleep (and had been paid for). I'm guessing they'd had bother with large groups (stags/hens, maybe?) being noisy all night.

I've used serviced apartments on several occasions and usually you don't see anyone else at all. However, I once stayed in such apartments near the Bullring in Birmingham, where they not only took £250 cash deposit on arrival, they also had security guards patrolling on weekends to make sure there were no more people in the apartment than it could legitimately sleep (and had been paid for). I'm guessing they'd had bother with large groups (stags/hens, maybe?) being noisy all night.

I'm pretty sure I've been to that one - I spent the best part of fifteen minutes trying to work out where the entry phone was, only to call reception and be informed that these weren't in the rooms as all guests had to ring the doorbell for reception to be buzzed in. The place had a Gaggia coffee machine, a Bose ipod dock and a Neff cooker, but no telephone and no bloody safe :rolleyes:. Never again (good views though :)).

I always stay in serviced apartments and went back to a previous favourite in Edinburgh a few months back only to find that the place had changed hands and reception (and I have only once stayed in a place without one, even if it's just a bloke in a mini-office for a few hours a day) were stopping, questioning and then ringing rooms to announce all guests as they entered the premises - mortifying. Fortunately I knew most of the punters who were visiting, but having my hotel-staying name read out in front of them I could have done without.

The moral is to carefully read the bit of the website with the checkin details - if you have to give a mobile number and arrival time so that someone can meet you there, or go to a different address to pick up the keys, so much the better. Then again, even in the two mentioned above it wasn't any more than a bit of a pain in the arse and certainly didn't make any difference to my staying or working; if you're not causing a nuisance or making a lot of noise I wouldn't worry. Just don't stack the place floor to ceiling with screeching pissed up slappers from @W (or if you do, PM me with the details and I'll put a couple of days in there whilst they're too busy getting pissed off with you to notice :P).

Think thats about it. Did you have a particular concern?

Thanks for your detailed reply.

My only concern was the problems associated with getting 7 girls past the reception, and them staying the whole night.

Thanks for your detailed reply.

My only concern was the problems associated with getting 7 girls past the reception, and them staying the whole night.

Just out of interest, how much are these 8 girls going to cost you for the whole night? :rolleyes:

Just out of interest, how much are these 8 girls going to cost you for the whole night? :rolleyes:

Well it's 8 in total (7 girls and me). I'm not booking all 7 girls, they are just coming along after for a laugh and for the booze. The other girls are friends of the girl I'm booking.

It may end up as less than 8 of us. We'll see on the night.

Some serviced apartments do state in their terms and conditions the maximum number of people allowed to stay overnight. You would have to check that one out.

I'm pretty sure I've been to that one - I spent the best part of fifteen minutes trying to work out where the entry phone was, only to call reception and be informed that these weren't in the rooms as all guests had to ring the doorbell for reception to be buzzed in. The place had a Gaggia coffee machine, a Bose ipod dock and a Neff cooker, but no telephone and no bloody safe :rolleyes:. Never again (good views though :)).

I always stay in serviced apartments and went back to a previous favourite in Edinburgh a few months back only to find that the place had changed hands and reception (and I have only once stayed in a place without one, even if it's just a bloke in a mini-office for a few hours a day) were stopping, questioning and then ringing rooms to announce all guests as they entered the premises - mortifying. Fortunately I knew most of the punters who were visiting, but having my hotel-staying name read out in front of them I could have done without.

The moral is to carefully read the bit of the website with the checkin details - if you have to give a mobile number and arrival time so that someone can meet you there, or go to a different address to pick up the keys, so much the better. Then again, even in the two mentioned above it wasn't any more than a bit of a pain in the arse and certainly didn't make any difference to my staying or working; if you're not causing a nuisance or making a lot of noise I wouldn't worry. Just don't stack the place floor to ceiling with screeching pissed up slappers from @W (or if you do, PM me with the details and I'll put a couple of days in there whilst they're too busy getting pissed off with you to notice :P).

A similar thing happened to a friend and I in serviced apartments in Glasgow! Flippin embarrassing or what?

Thanks everyone for the info on the apartments. You've raised some good points particularly about the noise levels, possible complaints from other guests and room overcrowding.

I have contacted one apartment owner and told them we're going to have a informal business meeting with 8 people which may drag on for quite a while.

They replied saying that's ok with them, but the date I asked for was already booked up.

So that's good news in the fact they don't mind 8 being in the apartment, just bad news about the availability.

I'll keep trying.

At the very least, go for a two-bed apartment; most serviced places are new build and the rooms aren't as big as they may look on the website. You'd have been hard-pressed to sleep 8 in any one-bed I've stayed in, even using the bath...