wanderlust

Liberal Democrats: prostitution

8 posts in this topic

This is from a pre-election issue of the Daily Express (4 May) so hard to be sure of its veracity....

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/173080/The-true-and-terrifying-cost-of-voting-Lib-Dem/

It does however clearly say, under 'Key Demands' that:

'.......the Lib Dems have a host of other policies - including legalising brothels....'

Does anyone know if this is true? Is it really a key demand? Since Mr Clegg was on about his great Reform/Repeal Act today I was thinking to write him anyway suggesting that some of the more inane laws on prostitution might sensibly be included, but would like to know if I'm pushing at an open door or not.

If you google Liberal Democrats policy on Prostitution you will find some interesting items

If you google Liberal Democrats policy on Prostitution you will find some interesting items

True---- & right back to the days of Gladstone wandering round the West End seeking to personally 'rescue' 'fallen women'...... but I failed to find a clear policy statement. Did you do any better?

This is from a pre-election issue of the Daily Express (4 May) so hard to be sure of its veracity....

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/173080/The-true-and-terrifying-cost-of-voting-Lib-Dem/

It does however clearly say, under 'Key Demands' that:

'.......the Lib Dems have a host of other policies - including legalising brothels....'

Does anyone know if this is true? Is it really a key demand? Since Mr Clegg was on about his great Reform/Repeal Act today I was thinking to write him anyway suggesting that some of the more inane laws on prostitution might sensibly be included, but would like to know if I'm pushing at an open door or not.

I think that a good idea. I did post at 9.00 this morning on the Thereasa May. Remember the ousted Liberal from Oxford did alot in committee to try and stop legislation going through. I know an MSP (Chris Davies), a liberal who openly posts on his blog about decriminalising the sex industry.

we should all suggest that the prostitution laws be repealed as a first step to decriminalisation/legalisation

Sounds like it could be a start !

as I said on the repealing laws thread, a legal brothel would probably need local authority licence for a sexual encounter establishment, and also planning permission. Would the parlour people survive such intrusion and form filling

or praps ignore it?

I'm not sure, today, that I'd "legalise" brothels! If I were Camegg, I think I'd go for a quiet section hidden deep in a Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill, which would make a statutory definition of a brothel, to replace the Common Law definition that we currently labour under, which doesn't even require payment.

Some of my (learned) colleagues might care to start drafting a "new, improved" definition, but I think I'd start with substituting "more than two" for "two or more"!