Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
youveryniceman

the great big sextrafficking con

14 posts in this topic

how it started:

daily mirror "investigation" claims 25,000 sexslaves working in uk.

dennis mcshane repeats claim in parliament

religious groups get involved in the con,repeating claim

govts propaganda unit organises media to observe high profile raids on suspected parlours to rescue sexslaves

govt orders newspaper industry to stop advertising adult services as their a front for sexslaves

govt thinks public is sufficiently indoctrinated to accept criminalisation of paid sex even though a huge police operation found only 255 "victims" of sextrafficking,most of those,migrant sexworkers

opinion polls(to the govts anger) show most people support decrim/legalisation

media begins to question & scrutinize claims of the sextrafficking con

as the con starts to fall apart,govt decides to shut down the anti-trafficking unit and uses a different tactic to justify criminalising paid sex

the excuse this time is drug dealers and pimps under the wide ranging term

"control for another persons gain". will this latest con work?

how it started:

daily mirror "investigation" claims 25,000 sexslaves working in uk.

Well the Mirror got the numbers out by a hundred'-fold. Operation Pentameter found c. 250

I think you will find that the figure of 250, or thereabouts, relates to the number of establishments that were "raided" rather than the number of "sex slaves" found.

No, the "rescued" women were around 80 odd in pentameter 1 and 160 ish in pentameter 2, with over 800 establishments raided in the case of pentameter 2.

No, the "rescued" women were around 80 odd in pentameter 1 and 160 ish in pentameter 2, with over 800 establishments raided in the case of pentameter 2.

Ah I see, I stand corrected, do you happen to know how many of the "rescued" women (whatever that might mean), were actually proved to be "sex slaves"?

And it continues. Firstly with release of 'Lilja4ever' and now with the oscar winner, 'Slumdog Millionaire'.

Ah I see, I stand corrected, do you happen to know how many of the "rescued" women (whatever that might mean), were actually proved to be "sex slaves"?

During the first Pentameter operation a total of 188 women were "rescued" but only 84 of them were confirmed as conforming to the definition of Human Trafficking into the UK for Sexual Exploitation.

As a result of Pentameter 2, 167 women were found to be victims of trafficking. Whether more than that were "rescued" I don't know.

During the first Pentameter operation a total of 188 women were "rescued" but only 84 of them were confirmed as conforming to the definition of Human Trafficking into the UK for Sexual Exploitation.

As a result of Pentameter 2, 167 women were found to be victims of trafficking. Whether more than that were "rescued" I don't know.

Thank you.

I really don't think we should pretend trafficking isn't a problem.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/339b0ee8-e8db-11dd-a4d0-0000779fd2ac.html

And who, pray, is pretending that trafficking isn't a problem? One woman trafficked into this country for sexual exploitation (or for anything else for that matter) is one too many, as is one death on the roads due to dangerous driving.

Part of the problem is if you spend much of your time dealing with these issues - be it sex trafficking or road accidents - then you tend to exaggerate the implications of that problem and want to introduce measures to combat it which are somewhat sledgehammer-like. Thus, based on all the evidence collected so far, sex trafficking into this country is not the problem some would wish us to believe. Pentameter proves this. Before it started the likes of Denis MacShane were putting it about that there were 25,000 sex slaves in Britain and the Daily Mirror went even higher! As a result of the two Pentameter exercises, with the resource of 185,000 police officers in 55 police forces over a period of nearly 2 years little more than 250 trafficked women were found. Surely those figures have some meaning? Don't you think that if there really were thousands of women being kept in unimaginable conditions and subjected to repeated abuse and rape that the police wouldn't be breaking down doors as we speak?

The same was true in America by the way, where the anti-prostitution lobby exaggerated the problem. At the beginning of 2000 it was "estimated" that 50,000 victims were being trafficked into the USA every year so the Justice Dept set up over 40 task forces with a budget of $150M and using a myriad of anti-trafficking organisations scoured the country for several years. Over 7 years they found about 1,300 victims!

I really don't think we should pretend trafficking isn't a problem.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/339b0ee8-e8db-11dd-a4d0-0000779fd2ac.html

Who is claiming that ?

The predominant position on this board is that the legislation WILL NOT solve the problem of sex trafficing by criminising all punters, all parlours, all advertisers, all land lords and anybody else who receiving money from a postitute however slightly connected.

yes calynx

one sex slave is one too many,where there have been prosecutions for forced prostitution its been as a result of punters information.

most of the "rescued" women were voluntary migrant sexworkers albeit illegal immigrant status.

as you've pointed out,sextrafficking is used as political propaganda for the hidden agenda-criminalisation of paid sex.

instead of targeting consenting paid sex,the govt should be trying to improve the conviction rate for rape which is just 6%

I can only agree with Calynx and others! Trafficking is a problem and should be tackled but exaggerating the figures and kicking up a witch-hunt about "sex slavery" doesn't help. What about trafficked workers in clothing sweatshops or agricultural work?

The closed minds of the so-called 'moral majority' feel a frisson of excitement at anything to do with sex and there are plenty of politicians who are eager to pump up their careers by presenting themselves as champions of any flaky cause they can espouse which may garner some votes.

The same is true of the government's policy on drugs: never mind the facts, as found by an independent review body, if it doesn't fit with what the politicians want, facts can be ignored!

As far as I'm concerned, if I want to ingest this or that substance or engage in such-and-such activity with some other consenting adult(s), whether money is exchanged or not, it's my choice and no business of the state!