Guest Interested

Man arrested over Bradford prostitute murders

132 posts in this topic

Poor girls.

The fact that they were prostitutes is irrelevant. They were some body's daughters, somebody's mothers.

It's just a tragedy.

The www.bbc.co.uk site seems to have crashed about 30 minutes ago, infact I was just reading about it when the site went on me!

Normal service resumed.

Well at least the BBC seem to have learnt something from Ipswich. They're referring to "women who worked as prostitutes", not "three prostitutes", and the police officer on the case is saying "women who worked in the sex industry." Another three unsolved cases may be linked.

Well at least the BBC seem to have learnt something from Ipswich. They're referring to "women who worked as prostitutes", not "three prostitutes", and the police officer on the case is saying "women who worked in the sex industry." Another three unsolved cases may be linked.

Mmm, don't really see why that's even necessary. Why the word play?

Someone who does accounting is an accountant. Someone who bakes is a baker (not "a man who bakes") etc. And so it follows that someone who prostitutes.... no?

w yorks plod will be keen to get this one right.

Memories of the balls up they made of the yorkshire ripper case still there locally

Bradford police are despicable. They are meant to police that area and supposed to help these vulnerable women. Instead they use them as bait so they can catch kerbcrawlers and rake in the money. On occasions when I passed through in Winter(-2). The women have been stood their and the police are round the corner.

Would the new law really have protected these women?

Someone who does accounting is an accountant. Someone who bakes is a baker (not "a man who bakes") etc. And so it follows that someone who prostitutes.... no?

Yes but you don't often hear "An accountant is missing" and are probably more likely to hear "A woman who worked as an accountant".

Yes but you don't often hear "An accountant is missing" and are probably more likely to hear "A woman who worked as an accountant".

I somehow don't think so :D

The headline would be "Accountant Missing!". Quite unlikely "A woman who worked as an accountant is missing!". Doesn't quite have the same ring to it....

I somehow don't think so :D

The headline would be "Accountant Missing!". Quite unlikely "A woman who worked as an accountant is missing!". Doesn't quite have the same ring to it....

Like this?

"Fears grow for missing woman

By Amy Murphy, Press Association

Tuesday, 24 March 2009

Detectives investigating the disappearance of a woman believed to have gone missing as she walked to work yesterday said they could not rule out the possibility she had been abducted.

Claudia Lawrence, 35, of Heworth Road, York, was last seen on Wednesday afternoon at the University of York's Goodricke College and later spoke to her parents on the phone.

North Yorkshire Police believe Miss Lawrence disappeared at around 5.30am the next morning after she left home with no money, cards or passport to walk three miles to her job as a chef at the college."

3rd paragraph before they mention her occupation

Just as someone who works as an accountant will fulfill other roles in life -as daughter, sister, wife, mother - so do women who work as prostitutes. Does your work define you - especially if it takes up a fairly small part of your life?

I take your point, but during the Ipswich outrages the BBC got heavily criticised for constantly referring to the women as "five prostitutes" - there was a widely held perception that the BBC were demeaning the women by these references. In that context, when it appears that someone is specifically targeting women who are street sex workers then referring to them as "women who worked as prostitutes" seems an improvement to me. After all, as Lucy rightly suggests, if the murderer was specifically targetting female accountants it would be appropriate to specify their occupation because of that fact, but their gender would undoubtedly also be mentioned.

"Working as a prostitute" suggest an occupation whereas "a prostitute" might imply that the girl only does it 'cause she can't be arsed working like the rest of us.

Each to their own. I still think it's unnecessary to pussyfoot around words. It is what it is.

Each to their own. I still think it's unnecessary to pussyfoot around words. It is what it is.

You may think differently, if it was you, your sister, niece, cousin, mother etc etc. Life lost but still labeled as degenerate prostitute for all to read. :D

I often empathise with your views Justy, but I agree that on this we will simply have to agree to differ. However, they aren't 'just' prostitutes, any more than an accountant is 'just' an accountant. They are also mothers, daughters...People aren't defined simply by the job they do.

Was horrified when I turned on the news today and saw the news. So such, it is like de ja vu

You may think differently, if it was you, your sister, niece, cousin, mother etc etc. Life lost but still labeled as degenerate prostitute for all to read. :D

I'll still stand by what I say - family involved or not. Of course I know that someone who works as an accountant is more than being an accountant. It goes without saying. But that was what he did for a living. And I feel the same stands for anyone working as a prostitute.

I'll leave it at that.

I'll still stand by what I say - family involved or not. Of course I know that someone who works as an accountant is more than being an accountant. It goes without saying. But that was what he did for a living. And I feel the same stands for anyone working as a prostitute.

I'll leave it at that.

You don't even publicise your working name here ! Some may think by that token you are a HYPOCRITE when newpapers/ news sites give these dead girls occupations.

I am an accountant and a prostitute, god help my family if anything happens to me.

I hope this does not come across as insensitive but the referring to the victims as prostitutes appears to relevant in both cases as it is what links the victims.

If all three girls were accountants or barmaids, I am sure the media would refer to them as such and the police for there part would look for someone who had possible used violence against accountants or barmaids in the past as part of their investigation.

In regards to West Yorkshire police and their dealing of the Peter Sutcliffe aka The Yorkshire Ripper investigation, they did make some mistakes. However the sheer volume of that enquiry due to the amount of witnesses and enquiries nearly did see the collapse of that force financially. The Home Office stepped in after the arrest to foot the bill to my knowledge. Lessons were learnt from that and the HOLMES computer system was developed which is now used to index/link all enquiries on most major police investigations.

I hope this does not come across as insensitive but the referring to the victims as prostitutes appears to relevant in both cases as it is what links the victims.

I completely agree Divine, and I'm not suggesting for a moment that the BBC should simply conceal or gloss over that common link. As I said, I think referring to them as "women who worked as prostitutes" is relevant and not unreasonable.

so sad glad they caught him poor families who have lost loved ones annax

so sad glad they caught him poor families who have lost loved ones annax

Let's just hope they've got the right guy Anna. They're still issuing warnings, quite understandably, but hopefully that is just a precaution.

Is it so important how they are described? They were three young women and now they are probably dead. The horror of it seems to be getting lost.