gus

way the legal wind is blowing.....

13 posts in this topic

what are workers and punters views on how the uk punting world wil be in say five years?I live in edinburgh,seemingly a haven for punting,though recently read on here of the civilian cop worker who got caught during a surveilance op on a sauna here.That was of course a case of lothian and borders disciplinary procedure,he resigned in anycase.

But glasgow has succesfully hounded all its sauna out of exsitence and ius started on flats.Another thread spoke of world famous babes getting harrassed legally or shut down,can recall details,then there was a raid on another sauna recently i read.....the list goes on.Has this always been the case or is this the begining of a turnaround in tolerance.The last govt,the current one,the scottish parliment too have all been highlighting prostituion while trotting out the same convieniant cliches about on street prostituion and attempting to paint the rest of the industry and its customers in the same light.We have had a amrvellous run for the last decade,even longer.Is it over?

I haven't been with working girls in my country yet, but in comparison to the rest of the world the state of the scene here seems like it has always been pathetic anyway. It's like the Taliban's "Ministry for the prevention of vice and the promotion of virtue". The way prostitution (and sex in general) is viewed here, is completely repressed and hypocritical. I can't stand it. I should imagine you're right that the campaign to stamp it out will continue, although under Nu-Labour it seemed far more aggressive with women in Government getting themselves in position of power to launch their ideological Jihads against men. With the current coalition, I don't know how things will go. One thing is for sure, this country is naff in regard to the working girl scene in 'comparison' to the rest of Europe even, never mind many other parts of the wider world.

I believe it's a turn-around on tolerance. It started with the push to seek out trafficked girls, which is all well and good and should be done, only the Govt doesn't have a brilliant track record of dealing with them either. Many of the girls 'rescued' from illegal brothels were immediately deported - to what?? I'm sure the ministers responsible didn't lose any sleep over it.

It does worry me, from both sides. I don't want my clientele living in fear and I don't wish the police to turn up at door one day (due to my living in a residential area). Plus I often work with other women which is still technically a no-no.

The RCN called on the decriminalisation of prostitution in 2008 and this year David Cameron has pledged to take a second look at decriminalisation. Lets just hope he does.

I can't see anything changing in the next 5 years. The Sexual Offences Act 2003 will still be with us - including the new section 53A offence ( paying for the sexual services of a prostitute subject to force etc).

I can't see David Cameron or his coalition government amending the law. What he said recently was typical politician's talk as a result of the murders in Bradford - and no doubt completely forgotten about once he returned to Westminster.

The law in relation to prostitution is a mess. It's not in the government's interest to review it. There's nothing to be gained by stirring up a hornet's nest. That's why Tony Blair never implemented the recommendation of the "Paying the Price" consultation in 2006, allowing 2 girls to work together.

So in the meantime it will still be down to the policy of the local Police Authorities. In some areas like Manchester and Bristol brothels/parlours will be tolerated provided that they don't breach the usual criteria ( ie. no drugs or under-age or trafficked girls). In some areas like Glasgow, Newcastle and Gloucester the Police will still continue to be intolerant.

At the same time I can sense an increasing sense of sympathy and enlightenment in the minds of the general public and some of the judiciary in relation to brothels and the associated offences. Hence some of the recent not guilty decisions in the Crown Court.

I can't see anything changing in the next 5 years. The Sexual Offences Act 2003 will still be with us - including the new section 53A offence ( paying for the sexual services of a prostitute subject to force etc).

I can't see David Cameron or his coalition government amending the law. What he said recently was typical politician's talk as a result of the murders in Bradford - and no doubt completely forgotten about once he returned to Westminster.

The law in relation to prostitution is a mess. It's not in the government's interest to review it. There's nothing to be gained by stirring up a hornet's nest. That's why Tony Blair never implemented the recommendation of the "Paying the Price" consultation in 2006, allowing 2 girls to work together.

So in the meantime it will still be down to the policy of the local Police Authorities. In some areas like Manchester and Bristol brothels/parlours will be tolerated provided that they don't breach the usual criteria ( ie. no drugs or under-age or trafficked girls). In some areas like Glasgow, Newcastle and Gloucester the Police will still continue to be intolerant.

At the same time I can sense an increasing sense of sympathy and enlightenment in the minds of the general public and some of the judiciary in relation to brothels and the associated offences. Hence some of the recent not guilty decisions in the Crown Court.

I agree with every word.:)

If the recent wave of police raids on massage parlours continues I think they will soon become a thing of the past . Punters are not going to put themselves at risk by being caught up in a police raid .

Reduced police funding from government could cause the police to target crime which is most cost effective for them .

If this was the case massage parlours would be sitting ducks with lots of juicy proceeds of crime monies to be seized .

depends how cases go once a few get to court

its a new law with some strange conceptions so just how will cases go?

what are workers and punters views on how the uk punting world wil be in say five years?I live in edinburgh,seemingly a haven for punting,though recently read on here of the civilian cop worker who got caught during a surveilance op on a sauna here.That was of course a case of lothian and borders disciplinary procedure,he resigned in anycase.

But glasgow has succesfully hounded all its sauna out of exsitence and ius started on flats.Another thread spoke of world famous babes getting harrassed legally or shut down,can recall details,then there was a raid on another sauna recently i read.....the list goes on.Has this always been the case or is this the begining of a turnaround in tolerance.The last govt,the current one,the scottish parliment too have all been highlighting prostituion while trotting out the same convieniant cliches about on street prostituion and attempting to paint the rest of the industry and its customers in the same light.We have had a amrvellous run for the last decade,even longer.Is it over?

I totally agree with Silverado. The legal wind is blowing round in circles as far as I can see, I don't expect to see any new laws or any of the old laws repealed in that time frame.

Some police forces will remain more tolerant, some less, and a few will switch tact based on whichever side shouts loudest or differing views of the new guy in charge... same old, same old.

I tend to agree with much of that. To be honest the clamp-down came under Brown - the Bairite ministers were clearly moving down the route of tolerating co-operatives. The change came with the son of a Presbyterian minister and his feminist hench-things. A few observations:

1. It's rare to have two major acts of Parliament on sexual offences within a decade.
  2. Introduce laws that juries see as unfair and they will respond by acquitting on any possible basis. (With apologies for stepping into emotive and controversial territory, it is my view that this is what is happening with rape. Every time you lower the burden of proof to convict the conviction rate drops.)
  3. Both the Justice Secretary and the Home Secretary are known for their liberal views, as is Cameron. Tie that in with the known policies of the Lib Dems, and expect the tacit policy to be that prostitution and brothels will be quietly tolerated as long as drugs, under-age girls and trafficking is not involved.

I totally agree with Silverado. The legal wind is blowing round in circles as far as I can see, I don't expect to see any new laws or any of the old laws repealed in that time frame.

Some police forces will remain more tolerant, some less, and a few will switch tact based on whichever side shouts loudest or differing views of the new guy in charge... same old, same old.

Agreed. See points 1 & 3 above.

It is not just the police that are doing the rounds. The government are as well.

All I see is things getter quieter and quieter, less posts, less people in chat, maybe it is just the season, I have not really been on here.

I'd guess that consensual sex between adults for money shouldn't be at the top of any police forces list and they will just move on to other things.

The desire to buy sex will never go away and it is IMPORTANT and SAVES lives to provide ways to do it in a safe secure environment. I think and hope that is what will come of it.

I can't see legalisation ever happening politically but safe, secure, practical consensual sex for money makes sense.

Parlours / Brothels are a dying breed, any business based on something that is against the law should realise that it's days are numbered.

I tend to agree with much of that. To be honest the clamp-down came under Brown - the Bairite ministers were clearly moving down the route of tolerating co-operatives. The change came with the son of a Presbyterian minister and his feminist hench-things. A few observations:

1. It's rare to have two major acts of Parliament on sexual offences within a decade.
  2. Introduce laws that juries see as unfair and they will respond by acquitting on any possible basis. (With apologies for stepping into emotive and controversial territory, it is my view that this is what is happening with rape. Every time you lower the burden of proof to convict the conviction rate drops.)
  3. Both the Justice Secretary and the Home Secretary are known for their liberal views, as is Cameron. Tie that in with the known policies of the Lib Dems, and expect the tacit policy to be that prostitution and brothels will be quietly tolerated as long as drugs, under-age girls and trafficking is not involved.

Agreed. See points 1 & 3 above.

Theresa May has been no liberal in the past and when asked on Question Time recently about her past voting record on voting against gay adoption and against the repeal of section 28 she very unconvincingly IMO said she had changed her mind. I dont believe that. Call me Dave is pulling the strings anyway so it will be down to him what she does.