youveryniceman

euro mp -legalise brothels to protect sex workers

6 posts in this topic

Sensible bloke, so they'll take no notice of him!

The problem is everyone has a view on this and this has created several distinct for and against camps, and all we do is talk it up, talk it down, and go round in bloody circles.

There was a delegation that visited New Zealand, and god knows how much has been spent by other delegations (aka piss-ups...) and we still do not a have a definitive way forward. Labour's new laws have only served to confuse, as they were warned even by their own Peers. In the meantime we have different police forces (including adjacent ones) applying different standards ranging from zero to moderate tolerance.

We've been fed a diet of drivel and mistruths from the anti-prostitution lobby, (where are they now??? All very quiet!) all based on estimates and piss-poor research to create 'a model' where the "estimated figures" of 80,000 prostitutes have been grossly over-stated.

That's one hooker for every 762.5 people in the UK. So if you live in a town of 20,000, the could be 26 hookers also.

It's utter crap, designed to shock, has no credibility and symptomatic of the way this country has gone, with no one prepared to do proper research or make an executive decision for fear of offending someone.

Paper bag and white stick for Mr Cameron, anyone?

And now the Adam Smith Institute is blogging, about the Bradford horrors...

http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/misc/time-to-rethink-prostitution/

You cannot just legislate against a 'problem' to make it go away, and the age-old profession of prostitution is absolutely no exception. This case should act as a catalyst for reform. David Cameron has indicated that he will reconsider the UK's current legislation, although there seemed no discernable conviction behind his statement. The legalization of prostitution in all its variants is needed to make Britain a freer and more importantly, a safer society.

And now the Adam Smith Institute is blogging, about the Bradford horrors...

http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/misc/time-to-rethink-prostitution/

You cannot just legislate against a 'problem' to make it go away, and the age-old profession of prostitution is absolutely no exception. This case should act as a catalyst for reform. David Cameron has indicated that he will reconsider the UK's current legislation, although there seemed no discernable conviction behind his statement. The legalization of prostitution in all its variants is needed to make Britain a freer and more importantly, a safer society.

There appears to have been a real possibility of prostitution reform in the early days of new Labour with some of the things David Blunkett was saying and some of the studies that were done. It's a shame this never came to fruition as new Labour came increasingly under the influence of the radical feminist lobby. Now there seems to be a new optimism under the current coalition government and I hope there is some genuine reform on the cards.

I notice HH is now calling for half of Labour's shadow cabinet to be women. I hope I'm wrong but I think what she has in mind is a new radfem, anti-prostitution lobby in the shadow cabinet. If Labour's shadow cabinet does eventually turn out to be 50% women, I hope it's women who can represent all women and not just that particular niche of women that meet HHs approval.

Taggert,

Agree with you regarding the legalisation of prostitution needs doing and rapidly.

But one could always ask what constitutes prostitution?

It is definately selling your body for sexual use for monitory gain.

But money is only a commodity.

So if you trade in commodities for sexual favours you are a prostitute

So if your boy friend whispers in your ear

If you buy me that dress we will have a good time tonight.

If you buy the dress does that mean your boyfriend is a prostitute.

(The price of the dress was twice your agreed budget)

My boyfriend is a crossdresser

I would say Yes

So your figure of 80,000 is way under estimated.

Especially if you include all the part-timers