Irgendeiner

Mercenary?

8 posts in this topic

Our lady friends are often accused (as if it is in some way "wrong") of being mercenary. [being a pedant, I digress a moment to look at the latin origin of the word - Merces -edis, f hire, pay, wages, salary, fee, according to Smith's Smaller Latin - English Dictionary, 3rd Ed, London 1933. So the ladies work for pay. So, I guess do most of those who post here, excepting pensioners, and a few of the filthy rich?]

So whores, like everyone else, are mercenary?

Just read this, and consider whether these guys could also be called merely "mercenary", or whether some stronger word is called for?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/politics/crackdown-on-cronyism-will-cut-200-000-off-council-s-wage-bill-1.1032080

I think the most totally obscene thing I've heard in the past week is that the head of the Office of Fair Trading gets almost £280,000 a year.:(

Office of Fair Trading indeed

Nothing wrong with being mercenary. Housman even presented it as a virtue -

"Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries"

These, in the day when heaven was falling,

The hour when earth's foundations fled,

Followed their mercenary calling,

And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;

They stood, and earth's foundations stay;

What God abandoned, these defended,

And saved the sum of things... for pay.

Getting back on topic: WGs are mercenary in a good sense, since they add to the sum total of happiness. Local politicians, on the other hand... politeness forbids!

Guys have often posted on here that they would perform certain sexual acts for a certain fee.

Guys have often posted on here that they would perform certain sexual acts for a certain fee.

Everyone has their price.

Have they really? Slags the lot of them, just giving it away.

Have they really? Slags the lot of them, just giving it away.

Just 'cos there [sic] rate is cheaper than yours doesn't make them slags, does it? Innit?

B

It is terrible that they have been reduced to this. They are probably trafficked and Mad Hattie, in her new role as Leader of the Opposition, should demand an urgent investigation of their exploitation.