OldRoman

Why tighten the law on punting when......

15 posts in this topic

Over the last 50 years or so the law on punting has become gradually more and more restrictive but why tighten the law on punting when it has become more relaxed concerning other forms of sexuality? I am thinking specifically of homosexuality concerning which I am quite at ease with it occurring between other consenting adults in private, so why not let WG's and their clients do the same? The usual arguments trotted out against punting, e.g. exploitation, danger to family life, spread of disease, transfer of cash, apply just as much to homosexual as to heterosexual relationships. Anyone got any ideas?

Sorry but I don't believe the two are connected.

On one hand you LGBT community asking for equal rights which of course they should be entitled to.

On the other hand you have a business transaction between two consenting adults. Now assuming we've got over all the arguments about coerced and trafficked girls then I don' see a problem here either.

I just don't see the connection between the two situations.

On one hand you LGBT community asking for equal rights which of course they should be entitled to.

On the other hand you have a business transaction between two consenting adults. Now assuming we've got over all the arguments about coerced and trafficked girls then I don' see a problem here either.

The point I'm making is about legal control of sexuality and sexual "outlet". The one has become more and more liberalised, the other more criminalised.

I just don't see the connection between the two situations.[/quote

WTF is LGBT ?.

The point I'm making is about legal control of sexuality and sexual "outlet". The one has become more and more liberalised, the other more criminalised.

I agree. I can't see the connection. Sure, I'm all for a reduction of legislation regarding prostitution, but I don't see that it can be compared with the right to express your sexuality without fear.

LGBT =Lesbian, Gay, Bi and Transgender

LGBT =Lesbian, Gay, Bi and Transgender

Not Lettuce, Bacon, Gherkin and Tomato?

No wonder that I got funny looks in SubWay.

We English are strange about money (the Welsh and Scots are worse). The most appalling couple can have a baby and peple will still coo over it and congratulate them, however awful a thug this sprog is likely to become when it grows up. If, however a couple seek to pay a surrogate mother all hell will break loose, irrespective of whether they are likely to be thoughly decent and responsible parents.

I suspect it's got a lot to do with the establishment, significantly the religious organisations, feeling insecure. When society had strict moral codes (not that everyone observed them but everyone knew what they were), there was a sense of certainty. Now that things are much more fluid, those who see the established order as the way things should be feel the need to make a stand and find someone to blame.

Prostitution is a relatively easy target because there are few WGs or clients who will stand up and be counted, for fear of social opprobrium. You're right in that it isn't logical but such things generally aren't directed by logic. It's a prejudice whipped up by those who feel they have something to lose. I realise I may be accused of hyperbole but it's not far different from picking on black people, Jews, gay people, asylum seekers - take your pick! "They are different from us - it is their fault! They must be punished!"

Oldest trick in the book...!

The feminists are more than happy if men do it with men and leave women alone, that is why fems are so pro-gay.

Sex is good,but only good sex is good ie in a loving relation, not for money

not in group, not with animals or bdsm

... ...

Both punting and homosexuality were immoral and, indeed, disgraceful. Performance of homosexual acts between males was also criminal, usually leading to prison.

Now in my short lifetime homosexuals are in government, and have "civil partnerships", are allowed to adopt as couples etc, etc.

BUT punting hasn't moved much - it is still in the shadows, and few, either punters or WGs, like to openly admit their activities.

These two subjects are both very much aspects of human sexuality, it just seems to me wrong that the unnatural one is now warmly welcomed, while the oldest profession remains to be frowned upon, and persecuted.

Both punting and homosexuality were immoral and, indeed, disgraceful. Performance of homosexual acts between males was also criminal, usually leading to prison.

Now in my short lifetime homosexuals are in government, and have "civil partnerships", are allowed to adopt as couples etc, etc.

BUT punting hasn't moved much - it is still in the shadows, and few, either punters or WGs, like to openly admit their activities.

These two subjects are both very much aspects of human sexuality, it just seems to me wrong that the unnatural one is now warmly welcomed, while the oldest profession remains to be frowned upon, and persecuted.

To add the weirdness, I have known, 3 marriages break up where , in two cases the wife set up house with another woman and in the other where the guy came out and is now in a civil partnership.

The imminent breakup and cause was public in each case, but, in all cases, there was a frenzy of "understanding", "not being judgmental" and support all round, especially from other women.

One can imagine the contrast if any these had been the guys, in a sexless marriage" caught visiting WGs

Over the last 50 years or so the law on punting has become gradually more and more restrictive but why tighten the law on punting when it has become more relaxed concerning other forms of sexuality? I am thinking specifically of homosexuality concerning which I am quite at ease with it occurring between other consenting adults in private, so why not let WG's and their clients do the same? The usual arguments trotted out against punting, e.g. exploitation, danger to family life, spread of disease, transfer of cash, apply just as much to homosexual as to heterosexual relationships. Anyone got any ideas?

I have no idea and at first thought you were paranoid. Now I'm not so sure.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65A3V020100611

Whilst it is undoubtedly true that statute law in relation to prostitution is more restrictive than it was 50 years ago I think it fair to say that this is the case in relation to most areas of law. You only have to look at the Road Traffic Acts, Health & Safety laws and the numerous laws eroding civil liberties.