wanderlust

Where to cut

55 posts in this topic

I see today's papers are saying that the Government are seeking views on where to make cuts in public spending:

Perhaps we can start a relevant list here:

1) Govt/council funded 'charities' e.g. Eaves/Poppy, who are supposed to be helping re-house women, but which have migrated into the lobbying and propaganda business----- at taxpayers' expense

2) Questionable 'companies' with no accounts set up by Glasgow council to seek changes in the law on prostitution.

I'm sure others can add.

The same thought had occurred to me! Lots of useful background about Poppy/Eaves on this thread - much of it from yourself, Wanderlust!

There's also a wealth of information in the media about the abject failure of Pentameters 1 & 2 to turn up all the supposed thousands of trafficked sex slaves that we've hear so much about - I'll post some links when I have time.

Like any sane, sensible person, I'm absolutely opposed to anyone being forced, coerced or intimidated into providing sexual services and I believe that any victims of such activities should be given all the help they need and any perpetrators should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

However, the point here is that such instances are, thankfully and according to all the available evidence, extremely rare. Fake charities such as Poppy and Eaves inflate the figures, lie and distort the facts in order to give themselves a big fat milk cow, a gravy train to provide them with a salary at the taxpayer's expense!

It's about time we exposed this blatant rip-off for what it is and this latest Government cost-cutting initiative seems like a heaven-sent opportunity. I feel a long and detailed letter coming on...! :D

Community support officers. What are they for?

Turn off the lights on hundred of miles of motorway. We have lights on our cars (Though amazing how many are turned off today in heavy rain)

Scrap the national curriculum for leisure classes. An all the box tickers who check up on it.

Stop councils/highways agency endlessley scraping off and repainting differently while lines on our roads. Just get it right and leave it alone.

have a campaign to turn off lights in government offices, and to turn down heating to reasonable levels. Including hospitals.

Stop the stupid system when you claim job seekers allowance, where you fill in your details online, then you are called and have them read out to you , then you go tot he job centre and have them read to you for a second time. It wont deter fraud, it just anoys people and the staff could be doing something more useful.

Stop travel by ministers and their massive teams to foreign conferences. Use teleconferencing, like businesses do.

and stop giving masses of our money to the unelcted EU until they can get their accounts audited. No audit, no more money.

The Govt could start by using English as the only language to communicate in.

I was recently at the Royal London Hospital and was shocked to see the money wasted on signage and publications in alternative languages. The NHS must spend huge sums in such translation services that could be better spent or not spent at all.

Consider this across all Government and the costs involved must go into millions.

2) Questionable 'companies' with no accounts set up by Glasgow council to seek changes in the law on prostitution.

I assume you are referring to GCSS? While I agree that this is an entirely improper way for local government to work, and that it is bloody daft that it is registered as a charity, GCSS was NOT set up to seek changes in the law on prostitution, and you can download (for a small fee, or PM me with an e-mail address) their annual returns with accounts from Companies House.

For what it is worth (not a lot, probably) my own opinion is that GCSS was hijacked by one bigoted councillor, and a small team of feminazis to run the campaign in question, while the rest of the outfit went on clearing up graffiti, dog shit and broken bus-shelters and so on and so forth.

There is too much money wasted "because we have to spend it, because its in the budget." Incentivise civil servants for the radical idea of NOT spending their budget.

We don't need any new nuclear bombs, and scale back our involvement in Afghanistan, make love not war!

The Spanish Government is cutting public sector wages and freezing pensions, harsh but they simply don't have the money to pay.

Neither does the British government but will they be that brave?

There is too much money wasted "because we have to spend it, because its in the budget." Incentivise civil servants for the radical idea of NOT spending their budget.

We don't need any new nuclear bombs, and scale back our involvement in Afghanistan, make love not war!

The Spanish Government is cutting public sector wages and freezing pensions, harsh but they simply don't have the money to pay.

Neither does the British government but will they be that brave?

The public sector is huge now and is a massive lobby group. They will resist wage cuts strongly, and I can expect Unison to relish the thought of a poltical strike.

But its only fair. cos the private sector has had massive cuts in jobs, wages etc.

The public sector is huge now and is a massive lobby group. They will resist wage cuts strongly, and I can expect Unison to relish the thought of a poltical strike.

But its only fair. cos the private sector has had massive cuts in jobs, wages etc.

And without the money the last government spent in the last two years to bail out the banks, and to avoid a worse recession and higher unemployment, where would we be now? Some of you need to get real about things. Of course, we need to reduce the deficit, but done badly it will lead to even worse consequences. Some of the ideas being thrown around will land us in an even bigger mess. For example, the Canadian model - all well and good when an economy is growing and trading partners are doing well. But we ain't in that position... Cameron's speech yesterday shows that he hasn't understood the basics. He is repeating the wrong policies he and Osborne advocated two years ago. He has learned nothing and now he is in power. God save us! Of course the public sector deficit grew in the last 2 years - it had to in order to avoid a really big recession and make up for the problems faced by (and made by) the private sector.

I am with you on this prof. I wish politicians and others would stop trying to blame the public sector alone for the nation's predicament. They would have us believe that someone somewhere has been shovelling money in to a black hole. They have but it was to prop up financial institutions. Look around you and then tell me that the investment in public services has not added value to the well being of the people of this country over the past decade or so. I know the years of Thatcher denuded the country of most manufacturing industries but the incompetence of many managers in the private sector should be acknowledged as a contributory factor.

I was recently at the Royal London Hospital and was shocked to see the money wasted on signage and publications in alternative languages. The NHS must spend huge sums in such translation services that could be better spent or not spent at all.

Consider this across all Government and the costs involved must go into millions.

Or 'in which to communicate'.

But I support your thrust completely

Uncle Pokey

... They have but it was to prop up financial institutions....

I think you will find bailing the banks out was a samll part of the 800 billion of debt they have accumulated.

And remember the 800 billion does not include pfi, which we will have to pay back too. every year for the next 25 years.

I think you will find bailing the banks out was a samll part of the 800 billion of debt they have accumulated.

And remember the 800 billion does not include pfi, which we will have to pay back too. every year for the next 25 years.

Those pfi contracts were just a scam to keep the true cost off of the nation's debt figures. Little matter that they increase the cost to the nation in the long run.

All those bloody Quangos and unelected regional assemblies for a start. Reduce the number of MPs and end the copper bottomed pensions to all of those in the public sector, MPs included, who have them. Pay cuts for the same sector. End government grants to such cockamamy things as "lesbian bee keepers workshops." Get the layabout fraternity to work for their benefit. There's plenty round my way who have no intention of working but seem to do very nicely thankyou.

How insensitive of Cameron to wheel out the other Lady GaGa today. Isn't this the woman who is largely responsible for the mess we are now in?

How insensitive of Cameron to wheel out the other Lady GaGa today. Isn't this the woman who is largely responsible for the mess we are now in?

and Blair and Brown are blameless????

UK national debt is around £890 billion or 62% (but net 54%) of GDP, but that is accumulated debt over centuries, not just the last few years. Until the crunch, Brown stuck to a golden rule of 40% of GDP as debt. After a period of financial restraint, national debt as a % of GDP fell to 29% by 2002. Then, it increased to 37% in 2007, primarily due to the government's decision to increase spending on health and education.

Since 2008, National Debt has increased sharply because of recession (lower tax receipts, higher spending on unemployment benefits) and financial bailouts of banks. And the latter does, therefore, account for quite a lot of our debt. Of course, when the shares in banks are sold off, debt will reduce. Currently debt minus such financial interventions is 54%.

Although 62%/54% of GDP is high, it is worth bearing in mind, that other countries have a much bigger problem. Japan for example has a national debt of 194%, Italy is over 100%. Germany and France have higher debt, too. Also the UK has had much higher national debt, e.g. after the second world war it was over 180% of GDP.

PS UK personal debt is £1460 billion....

UK national debt is around £890 billion or 62% (but net 54%) of GDP, but that is accumulated debt over centuries, not just the last few years. Until the crunch, Brown stuck to a golden rule of 40% of GDP as debt. After a period of financial restraint, national debt as a % of GDP fell to 29% by 2002. Then, it increased to 37% in 2007, primarily due to the government's decision to increase spending on health and education.

Since 2008, National Debt has increased sharply because of recession (lower tax receipts, higher spending on unemployment benefits) and financial bailouts of banks. And the latter does, therefore, account for quite a lot of our debt. Of course, when the shares in banks are sold off, debt will reduce. Currently debt minus such financial interventions is 54%.

Although 62%/54% of GDP is high, it is worth bearing in mind, that other countries have a much bigger problem. Japan for example has a national debt of 194%, Italy is over 100%. Germany and France have higher debt, too. Also the UK has had much higher national debt, e.g. after the second world war it was over 180% of GDP.

PS UK personal debt is £1460 billion....

Is PFI in those figures? Cos we paid more taxes to pay for better schools and hospitals. But the money went elsewhere, and the new schools and hospitals went on the pfi credit card.

And all those train leases and networks rails debt. all off balance sheet, all to be paid for by us eventually.

Is PFI in those figures? Cos we paid more taxes to pay for better schools and hospitals. But the money went elsewhere, and the new schools and hospitals went on the pfi credit card.

And all those train leases and networks rails debt. all off balance sheet, all to be paid for by us eventually.

This is a complicated issue. Some elements of PFI are now included in the public sector net debt. You need to read:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:0AQmZIXh5-EJ:www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/55%281%29.pdf+what+is+public+sector+net+debt&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESixW1830vAHzw-iqvcWyfgg41JnAF8Zw70x1cuVVESBNNvmkzg7CAjWSa7k9UQ3Obltas_nVugq7VpMe5z2qV0PG7PNM9axMKn-tpNkWLCxshJw7zafp6wkFN_43cMIYKUGl6bG&sig=AHIEtbSQwrVtNJk1-Gasu5XA3V1JtM4vwg

http://www.statscom.org.uk/C_1061.aspx

Edited by profman
emphasis

Turn off the lights on hundred of miles of motorway. We have lights on our cars (Though amazing how many are turned off today in heavy rain)

Good points.

Looking at graphs of national debt since the 19th century, it's amazing how it correlates with wars, especially the longest wars. So when you're not at war, that's the time to take the opportunity to clear the debt if you can.

Hopefully the new attitude will look at costs in a new way, eg. if the Afghanistan war is costing x billion a year, is it actually preventing the equivalent value of damage to our GDP in the terrorism it prevents back home, and/or saving police expenditure back home. Or if turning off motorway and street lights ( apart from when there is active road crew working ) between say 23:30 and 05:30, saves y million a year, is that greater than the cost of the small increase in crime and road accidents that might result.

And maybe someone in the coalition would look at the cost to the economy of young men who don't know prostitution is legal in the UK taking sexy trips to Amsterdam, the Baltic states or Thailand, and think that repealing the law that prevents 2 or more WGs sharing premises for companionship, safety and practicality, might keep some of that sex tourism money here in the UK.

Probably more chance of Thorntons making fireguards for that last one :confused:

Get the layabout fraternity to work for their benefit. There's plenty round my way who have no intention of working but seem to do very nicely thankyou.

IMO this is a HUGE part of the problem. We have just had a tenant do a bunk with months of rent oustanding (yes I have MUG tattood to my forehead). Its a complicated story of how we ended up with him as a tenant and he isnt the sort we would have chosen but thats another matter. He was 28 claiming benefits of every variety and fed us the sob story about the council dragging thier heels over his housing benefit. Turned out he had been claiming the whole rent, despite origionally sharing with two others for long before we were ever aware. We didnt see a penny as Labour brought in a clever peice of legislation paying housing benefit to the tenant not the landlord. As such he has scapered with £3900 of council money and hasnt paid a penny in rent for 6 months.

I refuse to believe (despite allowing it to go on for as long as we did) we are alone in our situation. How many others are claiming housing benefit totally unknown to thier landlords whilst also not paying rent and making them jump through hoops and go through eviction proceedings. He had almost 4k from the council multiply that by I have little doubt many, many thousands stealing from the system in one way or another and it would make a big difference.

I know loads of people that now refuse to work because its not in thier interests. If they work they loose thier benefits and they are now in the position where they need to earn in excess of £18,000 p.a. before they would earn the same as what thier various benefits amount to. its a crazy situation and one everyone is paying for.

I have full support to those that genuinely rely on benefits for a short time to prop themselves up while they get back on thier feet for whatever reasons but those people IMO are far and few between

Thanks to all who have responded, especially in the context of prostitution, which is what I shall write to the govt about.

I've added

• Community Regeneration Fund,
  • Glasgow City Council,
  • Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS Health Board,
  • Scottish Government Equality Unit

to the list as sponsors of a truly wretched report (http://www.prostitutionresearch.com/ChallengingDemandScotland.pdf), whose authors were too idle to analyse their collected data, prefering only to reiterate their prejudices and who, in the paragraph:

'No interviewer was untouched by the men's attitudes toward women. The interviewers reported feeling skeptical about the men's professed ignorance about prostituted women's feelings and sexuality, angry at the men's cruelty to women, fearful about the possibility of being stalked by interviewees, physically revolted, had flashbacks to their own previous experiences of sexual violence, questioned some aspects of their own relationships with the men in their lives,
and at times felt the inclination to dissociate or to drink alcohol in order to numb painful emotional reactions to the interviews

openly admit that they used interviewers who were not up to the task, thus negating their tax-payer funded 'work. There is no earthly reason why the rest of us should pick tab for this inadequacy and lack of intellectual rigour.

indeed a lot of taxpayers money was spent on labour govt propaganda to criminalise indoor prostitution such as the big brothel report & those already mentioned which we should nominate for cuts

Or perhaps "with which to communicate"

Uncle Pokey

Thanks to all who have responded, especially in the context of prostitution, which is what I shall write to the govt about.

I've added

• Community Regeneration Fund,
  • Glasgow City Council,
  • Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS Health Board,
  • Scottish Government Equality Unit

to the list as sponsors of a truly wretched report (http://www.prostitutionresearch.com/ChallengingDemandScotland.pdf), ... ...

Thank you for the link to this report, which I confess had escaped my attention. I assume that the four ladies who perpetrated this document were well paid for their "work"?

Leaving this scene aside, I was waiting in my GP's surgery last week, while some tourist with an "emergency" was seen. I began to wonder just what all the tastefully printed propaganda leaflets cost you and me!

IMO this is a HUGE part of the problem. We have just had a tenant do a bunk with months of rent oustanding (yes I have MUG tattood to my forehead). Its a complicated story of how we ended up with him as a tenant and he isnt the sort we would have chosen but thats another matter. He was 28 claiming benefits of every variety and fed us the sob story about the council dragging thier heels over his housing benefit. Turned out he had been claiming the whole rent, despite origionally sharing with two others for long before we were ever aware. We didnt see a penny as Labour brought in a clever peice of legislation paying housing benefit to the tenant not the landlord. As such he has scapered with £3900 of council money and hasnt paid a penny in rent for 6 months.

I refuse to believe (despite allowing it to go on for as long as we did) we are alone in our situation. How many others are claiming housing benefit totally unknown to thier landlords whilst also not paying rent and making them jump through hoops and go through eviction proceedings. He had almost 4k from the council multiply that by I have little doubt many, many thousands stealing from the system in one way or another and it would make a big difference.

I know loads of people that now refuse to work because its not in thier interests. If they work they loose thier benefits and they are now in the position where they need to earn in excess of £18,000 p.a. before they would earn the same as what thier various benefits amount to. its a crazy situation and one everyone is paying for.

I have full support to those that genuinely rely on benefits for a short time to prop themselves up while they get back on thier feet for whatever reasons but those people IMO are far and few between

A sad tale indeed. Like you I have every sympathy with the genuine needy but there are far too many who milk an already crazy system.