smiths

Lack Of Editing Time and Prob/Pre-Mod Posts.

8 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me if they are having the same problem where i am not getting 5 minutes to edit a post, i am getting about 3 minutes for some reason.

Also, whether its to do with having more probationary members than usual or more posters in pre-mod, or both i am finding i am missing their posts more at the moment as they are inserted into a thread at the time they posted it which can be sometimes different to when they actually appear, by which time many more posts might of been added by others, some posting similar to what i would have if i had seen the post. Does anyone know a way round this please or do i have to continually look back over threads of interest to me?

Can anyone tell me if they are having the same problem where i am not getting 5 minutes to edit a post, i am getting about 3 minutes for some reason.

Also, whether its to do with having more probationary members than usual or more posters in pre-mod, or both i am finding i am missing their posts more at the moment as they are inserted into a thread at the time they posted it which can be sometimes different to when they actually appear, by which time many more posts might of been added by others, some posting similar to what i would have if i had seen the post. Does anyone know a way round this please or do i have to continually look back over threads of interest to me?

The time allowed for a user to edit his/her post is controlled by the setting of "Time Limit on Editing of Posts" in the "Message Posting and Editing Options" in the Admin controlled vBulletin "Options".

The problem of pre-modded posts not showing up as the latest "New" post, not triggering the "New posts" indicator, or not causing a thread to be "bumped" is a recurring gripe on most if not all vBulletin forums, and the reason for this is because the trigger for "bumping" a thread/"New" posts is the posting of a "New" post, and a pre-modded post is, by definition, not a "New" post, no post has actually been made, it is the release of the pre-modded post that causes it to be posted and vBulletin does not consider the release of a post from pre-mod to be a "New" post. Because a thread is, technically, just a serial stream of posts (regardless of how a user might view them) it does produce a genuine problem if that natural flow is disturbed by outside intervention (pre-mod), this is the main reason why a lot of sites do not use pre-mod at all, and also it does cause a lot of new posters to assume that they are being ignored (pre-mod is something that very few new, or even existing, posters are aware of) if their Probationary status is prolonged.

In essence my answer to both questions is that there is little or nothing you can do about either problems.

One thing to be aware of when editing an existing post. It isn't just a matter of being able to start the edit within the time limit (I thought it was 5 minutes unless it has changed recently), but it is also necessary to complete and "Save" any changes within the time limit too. I've been caught out before where I was able to start editing, but by the time I went to save, I had gone over the limit so my changes were rejected :P

On the issue of pre-mod posts, the time taken for them to appear will be related to the amount of moderator time available to process pre-mod posts. Generally posts are approved fairly quickly (from minutes to a few hours), but if something seems suspect, then mods may discuss things before deciding to let something through (or not).

Yes, a tad annoying for those of us misfortunate enough to be posting while under Pre-Mod status :P Hadn't realised that it was frustrating for those on the "outside" too.

Also a tad annoying is the inabiity to Edit a post when you are Pre-Mod status.

One thing to be aware of when editing an existing post. It isn't just a matter of being able to start the edit within the time limit (I thought it was 5 minutes unless it has changed recently), but it is also necessary to complete and "Save" any changes within the time limit too. I've been caught out before where I was able to start editing, but by the time I went to save, I had gone over the limit so my changes were rejected :P

On the issue of pre-mod posts, the time taken for them to appear will be related to the amount of moderator time available to process pre-mod posts. Generally posts are approved fairly quickly (from minutes to a few hours), but if something seems suspect, then mods may discuss things before deciding to let something through (or not).

Its actually more of a problem to me with probationary members, there seem to be a fair number of them recently and its keeping up with their posts that just appear in a thread.;)

The time allowed for a user to edit his/her post is controlled by the setting of "Time Limit on Editing of Posts" in the "Message Posting and Editing Options" in the Admin controlled vBulletin "Options".

The problem of pre-modded posts not showing up as the latest "New" post, not triggering the "New posts" indicator, or not causing a thread to be "bumped" is a recurring gripe on most if not all vBulletin forums, and the reason for this is because the trigger for "bumping" a thread/"New" posts is the posting of a "New" post, and a pre-modded post is, by definition, not a "New" post, no post has actually been made, it is the release of the pre-modded post that causes it to be posted and vBulletin does not consider the release of a post from pre-mod to be a "New" post. Because a thread is, technically, just a serial stream of posts (regardless of how a user might view them) it does produce a genuine problem if that natural flow is disturbed by outside intervention (pre-mod), this is the main reason why a lot of sites do not use pre-mod at all, and also it does cause a lot of new posters to assume that they are being ignored (pre-mod is something that very few new, or even existing, posters are aware of) if their Probationary status is prolonged.

In essence my answer to both questions is that there is little or nothing you can do about either problems.

Thanks for that SaS, i shall somehow struggle through then.:P

Yes, a tad annoying for those of us misfortunate enough to be posting while under Pre-Mod status :P Hadn't realised that it was frustrating for those on the "outside" too.

Also a tad annoying is the inabiity to Edit a post when you are Pre-Mod status.

More of a problem with probationary members really, i think there are many more of them.

I quite rightly got my one and only spell of pre-mod a year ago which lasted 24 hours which was long enough, so i have a very small inkling of the frustration.;)

I quite rightly got my one and only spell of pre-mod a year ago which lasted 24 hours which was long enough, so i have a very small inkling of the frustration.;)

Lol, I think someone hit the wrong button on the wrong member in my case.

Frustated, not all, I'm not the one having to check my dribble before it's posted am I.:P