danrogers

IT scam

12 posts in this topic

Had two calls now from asian sounding guy saying he was from a very very well known software operating system company

tells me I have a virus on my PC

Then asks how old it is (PC)

then says he can give me email address of a site which would help

Then ask me what operating system I use-

At which point I told him IF he was who he said he was he would know what operating system Im on

This is a scam of some sort anyone know anything about it ????????

and NO it wasnt from my ISP I phoned them and they have not nor do they wish to phone me over anything

Got all the hallmarks of a scam. So AVOID. It does the rounds every 6 months or so.

If you have a firewall (and you should) how can anyone other than yourself know you have a virus on your PC?? A firewall stops other people looking inside your PC.

Also he is guessing you are using a PC (ie: Windows), but you may be using a Mac or a PC on Linux. It's utter bollocks. You were right to challenge and ask how he knew - many wouldnt be so quick thinking.

By going to that site you are more likely to get a virus!! My ISP is BT and last week I had an email about a failed payment for BT Broadband - suspected this was a scam and wanted me to complete my details inc bank info. So I did with loads of eff words, cu words and other profanities - and false numbers. I get similar stuff in the spam box every week from Santander, HSBC, Halifax, Nationwide and so on - all phising emails.

sounds like a scam to me....

will they stop at nothing with these cons?

I guessed the question "how old is my PC was to find out if I had one"

It also seems to be the bank of burkino faso money making season.

I have had 4 emails in the last 3 weeks.

Hello, i have 13,0000.000.00 burkino faso dollars in a bank account, to avoid paying high taxes i must transfer this money to a british bank account to withdraw it. I will compensate you for your time and trouble in the traditional monetary way once i have transferred my funds to your account and have withdrawn them. All you very kindly need to do in the interests of good relations is to furnish me with your birthdate, address with postcode, bank account number and sort code.

Jeez, there must be one born every minute for this kind of scam to still be worth the effort to put out.

It also seems to be the bank of burkino faso money making season.

I have had 4 emails in the last 3 weeks.

Hello, i have 13,0000.000.00 burkino faso dollars in a bank account, to avoid paying high taxes i must transfer this money to a british bank account to withdraw it. I will compensate you for your time and trouble in the traditional monetary way once i have transferred my funds to your account and have withdrawn them. All you very kindly need to do in the interests of good relations is to furnish me with your birthdate, address with postcode, bank account number and sort code.

Jeez, there must be one born every minute for this kind of scam to still be worth the effort to put out.

Those things are hysterical - I always open them just for the comedy value. Not once have I read one that is written properly. There's always spelling/grammar mistakes, usually quite glaring ones. Also they're usually phrased very strangely. Anyone falling for them is an idiot.

As for the phone call the OP received. Not sure what the scam is, but there's something up. I know one work colleague had his Internet cut off and was sent a letter telling him his account had been sending huge amounts of email and that his computer was part of a bot-net and therefore infected with various nasties etc.etc. So you CAN find out about virus problems from your ISP in some cases, but from the way this phone call is described it's nothing of that nature...just someone fishing for personal info or trying to get you to visit a malware infected site.

Had two calls now from asian sounding guy saying he was from a very very well known software operating system company

At which point I told him IF he was who he said he was he would know what operating system Im on

and NO it wasnt from my ISP I phoned them and they have not nor do they wish to phone me over anything

I would politely tell him i was not in the slightest interested in what he was saying and put the phone down, if he rang back i would clearly and concisely tell him to fuck off and put the phone down.

I hate scammers in all ways and forms. A friends recently presuaded me to join a social network site and since then the scams have multiplied. I suspect the assume for every million emails they send out a few suckers are out there.

The spelling mistakes are part of the scam by the way. It makes us oh so clever westerners think we are dealing with stupid africans and so try to beat them at their own game.

I hate scammers in all ways and forms. A friends recently presuaded me to join a social network site and since then the scams have multiplied. I suspect the assume for every million emails they send out a few suckers are out there.

The spelling mistakes are part of the scam by the way. It makes us oh so clever westerners think we are dealing with stupid africans and so try to beat them at their own game.

Well in some cases they do mention being African but in a lot of cases they're trying to make you think you're dealing with your bank or with the lottery commission in Spain or Australia and sign the email with a western name...but the same sort of spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes are all there. In one case the email I received had HSBC in the subject, but when I opened the email it talked about my barclaycard being suspended...now that's just dumb.

I know off topic but reminds me of the world cup at present.:)

an example of where you're wrong....

This email, which I received in the last couple of hours, is an example of where they're clearly not wanting you to see them as being African and ripe for turning over...but still can't quite get it right when clearly an official email like this shouldn't be so full of errors. A lot better written than a lot I see but I've highlighted the errors I've spotted in bold.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COCA COLA COMPANY OFFICIAL PRIZE NOTIFICATION

Ref: PBL/CN/6654/CP.

Coupon No.PBL2348974321

We are pleased to inform you of the result of the just concluded annual final draws held on the 30th Of May 2010 by Coca-Cola company in conjunction with the British American Tobacco Worldwide Promotion.

Your email was among the 4 Lucky winners who won a lump sum of FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND BRITISH POUNDS STERLINGS (500,000.000 ) each on THE COCA COLA COMPANY PROMOTIONS.[sterling should not be plural and there should only be two zeros to denote the pence]

[strange word to start new paragraph with...doesn't read right]

However the results were released on the 15th of June 2010 and your email was attached to ticket number (CC/7PWYZ2010) and ballot number (CC/BT:12052010/20) [why a ticket AND a ballot number, just using words to try and sound official but comes out as gibberish]The online draws was conducted by a random selection [should have read "online draw" or "draws were"]of email addresses from an exclusive list of 29,031 [remember that number!!] E-mail addresses of individuals and corporate bodies picked by an advanced automated random computer search from the internet, [comma not full stop]

[again starts with however for no good reason]

However, no tickets were sold but all email addresses were assigned to different ticket numbers for representation and privacy. The selection process was carried out through random selection in our computerized email selection machine (TOPAZ) [seem to be copying the name of a UK National Lottery draw machine here, not an error as such but should set alarm bells ringing] from a database of over 250,000[what was that number again?]email addresses drawn from all the continents of the world This Lottery is approved by the British Gaming Board and also Licensed by the International Association of Gaming Regulators (IAGR).

in order to claim your prize contact our fiduciary agent Lottery Claims Officer:

MR. William Smith,

TelFax:+44-703-1744-497

E-mail: cocacola@ukhouse.com (Provide him with the information below:

[missing closing bracket]

1.Full Name:

2.Full Address:

3.Marital Status:

4.Occupation:

5.Age:

6.Sex:

7.Nationality:

8.Country Of Residence:

9.Telephone Number:

10.a copy of your id or paspport [typo here - double s single p and being pedantic isn't a passport an ID as well?]

Congratulations once more from all members and staffs of this program. Congratulations once again On Behalf of the staff And Members Of the COCA COLA COMPANIES and therefore advised you to keep your winning information confidential and restrict from third Party to avoid double or false claims of your winning [two congratulations like they changed their mind as to how to phrase it and left both in there, plus staff is already plural as they got right at second attempt. Words seem to be missing as second sentence doesn't read right in several places and also it should be winningS]

[few other errors throughtout the email like missing fullstops/capital letters etc which are a little nit picky I admit]

Denis Cole (Lottery Coordinator)

Yes it is a scam

Apparently if you keep talking to him he would have asked you to go to your computer & do some basic checks then told you that you have a virus & should go to a website he gives you. Then type in a code he also gives you & at that time he will have remote control of your PC. He then tells you he is scanning your PC but is actually downloading a programme onto your PC which basically sends him all your information you have stored and anything you type in the future (such as credit card numbers and passwords).

So basically if he calls back don't let him talk you into going to your PC. I'd just keep asking him to call back and waste his time - or pretend to be on the PC but not do anything & tell him "it's not working" just to waste some more of his time then just give him a barrage of highly offensive abuse. ;o)