Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elrond

Is this a coverup

8 posts in this topic

The Government is not publishing 67 responses to letter written to interested organisations. I wonder why they are not, seems a cover up to me.

This was not a formal consultation and we did not indicate to potential respondents that their responses would be published, we therefore do not feel it appropriate to do so, although individual organisations are, of course, free to publicise their own views.

John McDonnell (Hayes & Harlington, Labour) | Hansard source

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department

(1) when her Department plans to publish the responses received to the consultation letter of 26 September 2008 on proposals for prostitution legislation;

(2) when the Violent Crime Unit plans to publish responses to its consultation letter on proposals for prostitution legislation dated 26 September 2008.

Click on the platypus!

Lynne Jones (Birmingham, Selly Oak, Labour) | Hansard source

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department when she plans to publish the responses to her Department's letter dated 26 September 2008 asking for views on her proposals arising out of the Tackling Demand for Prostitution review.

Alan Campbell (Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Home Office; Tynemouth, Labour) | Hansard source

The Government wrote to a range of interested organisations on 26 September to seek their views on the proposed legislation. We received 67 responses from a variety of organisations representing the voluntary sector, statutory partners, local authorities and representatives of persons involved in prostitution and the lap-dancing industry. This was not a formal consultation and we did not indicate to potential respondents that their responses would be published, we therefore do not feel it appropriate to do so, although individual organisations are, of course, free to publicise their own views.

The issues involved here have also been subject to detailed scrutiny and discussion during the passage of the Policing and Crime Bill.

obviously the responses were not what the govt expected!

Could not some MP or other threaten the Freedom of Information Act to require the responses to be published?

Nah - Ms Smith has now got other 'New labour' objectives taking priority and my take on it is she'll not be too concerned if the Lords tell her (effectively) to F off.

In any event I'm convinced still that Chief Constables will respond similarly to the Lords in terms of action by generally de-proritising the proposed legislation as unlikely to, in any event, result in prosecution material even if they were to pay some lip service to it. They, as well as the rest of the straight thinking world, will respond only where the establishments where there are genuine concerns about women working against their will come to their attention. And there is already a fairly robust series of legislative provisions to cover those situations.

Uncle Pokey

The Government is not publishing 67 responses to letter written to interested organisations. I wonder why they are not, seems a cover up to me.

This was not a formal consultation and we did not indicate to potential respondents that their responses would be published, we therefore do not feel it appropriate to do so, although individual organisations are, of course, free to publicise their own views.

John McDonnell (Hayes & Harlington, Labour) | Hansard source

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department

(1) when her Department plans to publish the responses received to the consultation letter of 26 September 2008 on proposals for prostitution legislation;

(2) when the Violent Crime Unit plans to publish responses to its consultation letter on proposals for prostitution legislation dated 26 September 2008.

Click on the platypus!

Lynne Jones (Birmingham, Selly Oak, Labour) | Hansard source

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department when she plans to publish the responses to her Department's letter dated 26 September 2008 asking for views on her proposals arising out of the Tackling Demand for Prostitution review.

Alan Campbell (Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Home Office; Tynemouth, Labour) | Hansard source

The Government wrote to a range of interested organisations on 26 September to seek their views on the proposed legislation. We received 67 responses from a variety of organisations representing the voluntary sector, statutory partners, local authorities and representatives of persons involved in prostitution and the lap-dancing industry. This was not a formal consultation and we did not indicate to potential respondents that their responses would be published, we therefore do not feel it appropriate to do so, although individual organisations are, of course, free to publicise their own views.

The issues involved here have also been subject to detailed scrutiny and discussion during the passage of the Policing and Crime Bill.

Do the government ever 'cover up things'?? I am sure there is a simple

and logical explanation...as usual (sic)

Do the government ever 'cover up things'?? I am sure there is a simple

and logical explanation...as usual (sic)

I wouldn't worry..... the 67 letters will be on a memory stick or CD that some Whitehall flunky loses on a London bus............:D

But seriously, doesn't smack of the 'control factor' that this Government is bet known for?

I wouldn't worry..... the 67 letters will be on a memory stick or CD that some Whitehall flunky loses on a London bus............:(?

This could well be the 'pretext' and not the 'reality' for losing them :D:rolleyes:

But seriously, doesn't smack of the 'control factor' that this Government is bet known for?

Indeed- it control us all for gain, so having sex with any of us will probably become illegal....

so having sex with any of us will probably become illegal....

Every cloud has a silver lining.