infinit

Google Maps Streetview

54 posts in this topic

Now that Google Maps Streetview has launched in the UK, how many of you have been to check your regular punting venues to make sure there are no incriminating photos of you? Or was I being over-paranoid when I checked mine?

They are legally required to blur all faces. So unless you wander around wearing a large sign with INFINIT on it your safe. Although I have checked my London visits just to be sure.

Only a few UK cities on it at the mo but lots more coming.

To be honest, its a bit of a godsend. I wont get lost trying to find their apartments anymore.

Aparently there are a few numberplates that "forgot" to blur out, so wouldnt surprise me if the same happened with faces

I walked past a Google car filming a street the other day. Hope i end up on Streetview :D

But aren't the pics a few years old anyway? Or is that just Google Earth?

I think most are mid 2008.

I knew when some development were being done in one pic. Thats sad i know.....

I haven't found it yet :D

It didn't come up when I Google UK'd it - I thought they might know..

Its on the usual google maps. Theres only 25 UK cities, London, birmingham, Oxford, nottingham,....

If you google map one of these cities (I.e. google "hotel london" and click the map that results. Make sure its in Map view not text view)

Theres a little yellow man on the left hand side, if you click and drag him onto the map, little blue lines will appear in the map where street views are.

Drop him on the map and you'll get the street view. You can waste hours walking up the vegas strip and new times square......

They are legally required to blur all faces. So unless you wander around wearing a large sign with INFINIT on it your safe. Although I have checked my London visits just to be sure.

Only a few UK cities on it at the mo but lots more coming.

To be honest, its a bit of a godsend. I wont get lost trying to find their apartments anymore.

Already, in just a few minutes' search, I have found people I recognise. There are faces not blurred at all, and in the case of others, if you know them it's not hard to recognise them even with the blur. So you can easily put someone you know in a place where they wouldn't want to be seen!

Already, in just a few minutes' search, I have found people I recognise.

The one with the big tits and eating a radish is Xenia.

i just had a frantic stroll around soho on google street view .it looks like early in the morning because there is very little traffic, and the walk ups are all closed.the maps are still very limited but i can imagine they will be expanding the number of roads they cover over the next few months.i am just glad they didnt catch me shuffling out of one the flats...i am going to be up all night just to make sure. from the local construction work i am guessing that the pictures were taken last summer onwards.

What's the general link to this site, I've found google earth before, but this sounds more detailed?

Try here. If you keep clicking on google maps, it eventually gives you street photos. If they've been taken -they've only covered 25 British cities so far.

My house is clearer on Google Earth than Streetview, but that might be because I live in the middle of nowhere. :D

according to today's Evening Standard two of the photos that Google have already been asked to obscure are a man vomiting outside a pub in Shoreditch, and a man being arrested in Camden... :D

Loads of pic's have already been removed. Many complaints have aflooded in.

the cameras around the Soho walkups are an eye opener - directly outside two of my faves Frith Street and 20A Berwick St.:D

Now that Google Maps Streetview has launched in the UK, how many of you have been to check your regular punting venues to make sure there are no incriminating photos of you? Or was I being over-paranoid when I checked mine?

You've got to be pretty unfortunate to find yourself on Google Streetview about to go into a parlour.

the cameras around the Soho walkups are an eye opener - directly outside two of my faves Frith Street and 20A Berwick St.:D

Eh? :D The cameras are not actually 'there'. They were driven down the streets mounted on cars. The images you see will probably be there for years.

The one with the big tits and eating a radish is Xenia.

Calling me a radish is very rude Sasfan

it is a gross invasion pf privacy

on my parents house you can see in their windows.

how is this legal?

my street was done late 2009

my vehicle reg is not blurred - going to report it.

some amazing details indeed.

lots of places (offices - lol) I regularly visit are totally visible,

a few houses of known aqcuaintences very visible,

a few known cars,

a few "very probable" ID-ed persons (will aks m)

a picture is removed (blackened) from a location where I regularly walk past.. I wonder why ???

Anyone remember the movie National Treasure -2 where they break into the CCTV camera system (or the speedcams?) to find information ?

We are probably not far away from having part of our life on webcams.

I know of at least 1 public viewable webcam that could be used to see punters going to known flats. Only just too far off to distinquish ppl, but we are getting close...

it is a gross invasion pf privacy

on my parents house you can see in their windows.

how is this legal?

Is it any different though to anyone walking by your parents house and looking in?

Why not just fit net curtains?