Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chubb

Comantra Scam

10 posts in this topic

I own a computer repair business and yesterday I was visiting a new customer who told me an alarming tale about a company called Comantra.

He had been having problems with his computer for a few weeks when he received a cold call from this company called Comantra who told him they were Microsoft partners and would fix his computer. He wasn't sure how they knew he had a problem but agreed to give the caller remote access to his computer. The remote user "found" some "faults" and then asked for payment to fix them.

Believing it was legitimate the gentleman paid £65 by credit card.

After the call he felt a little uneasy about what had happened and the next day told a colleague at work. The colleague Googled Comantra.net and discovered quite a lot of people who had had a similar experience.

Comantra seem willing to defend themselves by posting positive comments of forum sites under pseudonyms claiming to be satisfied customers.

I'm not suggesting that they are doing anything illegal but their sales tactics are questionable at the very least. They have a website and landline phone numbers in the UK so it seems they are a real computer support company but as I say I think their sales approach is highly suspect.

As to how they knew he had a problem, it's anybody's guess. I suspect they didn't know anything they just gambled that they could find something - I could find a "fault" on 90% of computers, even new ones straight out of the box. These "faults" may be trivial but most people probably wouldn't know that.

I suspect they didn't know that he had a problem with his computer. In the last few weeks I have had several calls saying that they could fix the problem I was having with my computer. I told them I didn't have a problem with my computer so f*** off! I guess every so often they find someone who is.

There is no way that I would let any unknown have remote access to my computer nor would I give them my credit card details! Clearly a scam.

In the same boat as the OP its a pot luck one bit like the Nigerian money scam thats been going round for years. I have had lots of people at work tell me about this some been bitten and some not by it.

Phone data is so easy to buy these days and they pot gamble if you have a problem, best is to tell them you dont have a computer.

I've had a couple of similar calls over the past month - Guy starts off by asking if I'm having problems with IE..... etc etc.

obviously most folks use computers and most who do still use IE so before long they will find a mug.

hi to all am new to this site

I've had a couple of similar calls over the past month - Guy starts off by asking if I'm having problems with IE..... etc etc.

obviously most folks use computers and most who do still use IE so before long they will find a mug.

I've had a couple too. Spray and pray approach will work for a while. Surprised the TV watchdog progs haven't picked up on this new twist yet.

I've had a couple too. Spray and pray approach will work for a while. Surprised the TV watchdog progs haven't picked up on this new twist yet.

Called me yesterday and the lady, calling from India and I had a long conversation on how she had so much information on me (like I had a computer and used Microsoft stuff). Finally after 15 minutes of getting no where she put the phone down - but I hoped others might not be plagued by her for a short time!