Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shameless

But I don't use a proxy server!

9 posts in this topic

I use a 'livebox' router to connect my laptop via wifi to the internet at home, my isp is Orange.

A virus got past my anti virus software, avast (free version), I used Advanced Windows Care to remove the virus.

When I restarted the computer I was not able to get onto the internet, the diagnose connection problem button informed me that the problem was with my proxy server.

I have never used a proxy server.

Via the tools on explorer, I managed to get into the connection settings and turn off the proxy setting in LAN.

The question is, how did that setting get activated in the first place? Have I been hacked?

Is my computer secure and how do I prevent this from hapening again?

I have done a system restore and a virus scan, it seems to be ok for now.

Am just a bit concerned that someone may have hacked into my wifi at home.

Do you know what virus it was? If you know the name, you can check what the virus does.

I have done a system restore and a virus scan, it seems to be ok for now.

Am just a bit concerned that someone may have hacked into my wifi at home.

Seems to be quite a few about at the mo. I had one this week too and spend most of the day getting rid of it. As well as annoying pop ups it routed my google search results to a different search engines. Also refused me getting onto Windows update by blocking something in my proxy settings.

Although my virus scanner never picked it up I ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it picked up 5 trojans. Cleaned them out.

Then ran tdsskiller as I still had proxy screwups as they were still hooked into my system Dlls.

Seemed to fix the proxy issue. And then I updated everything as IE was still corrupted.

Seems all rosy now... <touch wood>

P.S. try not to use system restore. Ive did that as a first resort but still had it and it infected my system restore just for good measure... ;)

A question to all the techies : Is this an instance where Firefox is a more secure system ?

Please, keep answers simple as I am a computer retard !;)

A question to all the techies : Is this an instance where Firefox is a more secure system ?

Please, keep answers simple as I am a computer retard !;)

Usually, I was using IE at the time.

Firefox is usually more resilient (well resilient in that the spammers target IE so the attacks are usually tested to work on IE)

But when it got infected the same annoying popups and redirects occured in Firefox. ( Couldnt even get on the internet with Google Chrome, due to the proxy issue I was having. When the proxy issue was fixed then Chrome worked)

I use a 'livebox' router to connect my laptop via wifi to the internet at home, my isp is Orange.

A virus got past my anti virus software, avast (free version), I used Advanced Windows Care to remove the virus.

When I restarted the computer I was not able to get onto the internet, the diagnose connection problem button informed me that the problem was with my proxy server.

I have never used a proxy server.

Via the tools on explorer, I managed to get into the connection settings and turn off the proxy setting in LAN.

The question is, how did that setting get activated in the first place? Have I been hacked?

Is my computer secure and how do I prevent this from hapening again?

As a fellow Livebox user, I'm guessing that when you used Advanced windows care it tried to set everything to a default setting, I doubt you have been Hacked! Orange and the latest version of IE are sound as long as you update automaticly, its extremly rare that I recieve email spam, but something I do is not have system restore turned on, if you do get infected it can hide in there un-detected......I run a complete security/maintainance package, Avonquest system suit 10, it does everything to keep the PC running fast and secure, it includes Sunbelt Vipre AV & SW, its the market leader at this time (along with Eset Nod32) nothing has attacked me in the time I have been running it, the Firewall it uses has a nice backtrace feature which is handy if you ever do! It all comes with upto 3 pc's download, it also updates every hour.

Even when you have the best security package running try to remember to back it all up by using a online scanner as well, Trend house call is good as is the new cloud based stuff by Panda or the excelent Clam which can do a full scan in around 2 minutes without you even knowing its running if you did not look at the run timer in the dialog box.

Usually, I was using IE at the time.

Firefox is usually more resilient (well resilient in that the spammers target IE so the attacks are usually tested to work on IE)

But when it got infected the same annoying popups and redirects occured in Firefox. ( Couldnt even get on the internet with Google Chrome, due to the proxy issue I was having. When the proxy issue was fixed then Chrome worked)

Thank you Overworked.

Thanks for the info Jkay et al.

What is the consensus as to the best free anti virus software available?

And is it related to which version of windows used and/or browser?

I use Vista and IE.