Colonel Bonkers

Cleaning the address line

13 posts in this topic

Very basic question here. I'm going away for a few weeks and leaving other members of the family in the house. I see there are one or two sites in the memory of the whateveryoucallit - the bar at the top which gives the full www address of whatever site you've looked at. When you put the mouse on the little arrow on the right some of the previous addresses appear. How do I remove them? (I'm using Internet explorer, if that makes a difference.)

Hi! it would help if you told us what browser/version you are using

Very basic question here. I'm going away for a few weeks and leaving other members of the family in the house. I see there are one or two sites in the memory of the whateveryoucallit - the bar at the top which gives the full www address of whatever site you've looked at. When you put the mouse on the little arrow on the right some of the previous addresses appear. How do I remove them? (I'm using Internet explorer, if that makes a difference.)

Which version of IE?

Usually if you go to the Tools menu there should be an option to clear or delete browsing history/cookies etc.

Try those options and see if they disappear.

Thanks, Vicar. That seems to have fixed it.

All good. In future, you might want to consider installing a 2nd browser (I use Firefox) and switching the browsing history off. I use IE8 for all of my civilian browsing (with history switched on and lots of bookmarks) and a clean version of Firefox for my punting browsing (with history switched off and no bookmarks). It does mean I have to remember the URL of every punting site I use, but that's no biggie. What this means is that there is never any record of my punting browsing left on the computer when I have finished.

Sometimes, just deleting the history on your main browser might raise suspicions. If other users of the computer are used to taking shortcuts to amazon, they will notice that they now have to type the entire URL in.

Thanks for all these sensibile suggestions, some of which are already taxing my IT knowledge.

Generally, I find individual items less easy to erase from the History on Firefox, but that's probably just my pre-elementary understanding. Fortunately, on the one computer I regularly share with Mrs Bloom, she always uses Firefox, so I feel relatively safe on IE. Then, with three lads in their twenties as well, I could always fall back on 'God, the things they do on the Internet', but that really would be hitting rock bottom in the despicability ratings.

Steer clear of IE. It is not safe. Find another browser and set it up as Northwinds suggests, as clearly you should not use Firefox in the circumstances. It is very reassuring to be able to close a browser and know that everything is immediately gone.

Get a 1Gb stick and try Firefox Portable. It runs very well with the programme and all related files confined to the memory stick. There are no embarrassing history, cookies or cache files on the hard drive.

If you want added peace of mind and still keep your bookmarks and history use (say) a Lexar stick that comes with Secure II. with this software you can password secure the relevant folders and until opened they are not even visible in Explorer or My Computer

It is quicker to close a browser than it is to eject a USB and hide it. There may be only a couple of seconds available.

install google chrom, dont put an icon on the desktop and bury the link to it deep in the start menu somewhere.

once in chrome, always use incognito mode

simples

Mrs Boffin and I have separate accounts on the same PC, so she cant see what I am up to ( her account is set up as just a user) and my account has administrative rights so I could see what she was up to but the thought if seeing the plans for new house furniture would simply depress me so I do look. But this method works for us and has done for the last 10 years ! ( win 2k - win 7) ;)

Don't forget to check the favorites box!