Ghenghis

Older and dafter??

43 posts in this topic

Loads of views but no responses.

Is it true that over 50's are more likely to want sex bareback?

I would say so, yes. The lack of sex education or family planning in those years and the lack of people using contraception would lead me to believe that older people would adopt the same frame of mind today.

I'm over 50, had a vasectomy but would never want to have bareback sex with anyone except "her indoors" - not just HIV but loads of other risky things kicking around - got to be stupid to do it!

sorry but you are wrong!! condoms were and are still a must, diseases didnt really figure in the equation ,Pregnancy was the real fear . The pill made everyone think sex was safe as you couldnt get pregnant ,so it was no need for a condom!!

NO ... :confused:

I would say so, yes. The lack of sex education or family planning in those years and the lack of people using contraception would lead me to believe that older people would adopt the same frame of mind today.

That's rubbish .. look at all the girls under age with babies ... so the youngsters use condoms do they ?

However the article seems to indicate that those over 50 are more likely to contract HIV.................

That's rubbish .. look at all the girls under age with babies ... so the youngsters use condoms do they ?

In the olden days if a young girl got knocked up she had 3 choices, a coat hanger with a large bottle of vodka and a hot bath, a single mothers institution or marraige, im guessing most chose marraige. There were few soles brave enough to wether the storm of apparent shame in being a single mum. Times have changed now so women do not feel their life is ruined if they have a baby and are unmarried. I do think girls should wait until they are older, but these are not the olden golden days anymore, the veneer of respectability this country shied under has been stripped away.

I didn't say that did I ?!

If you analyse at the board members who constantly go on about bareback sex, you will find that the majority of them are over 50.

If you analyse at the board members who constantly go on about bareback sex, you will find that the majority of them are over 50.

How the hell do you know who's doing bareback sex ? Some members on here do talk a load of rubbish.

That is rubbish.

Anyone between 50 and 60 would have been in their 20s/30s , at the peak of their powers , in the 1980s. Anyone who lived sexually through the 80s would be more aware of the importance of condoms as we started the decade scared by Herpes followed quickly by AIDs.

Statistics can be used to back up any argument. In the 80s you only went to what was then known as the 'clap clinic' and hoped no one saw you, if you showed symptoms. Nowadays, people go as a regular preventive check up

Whilst results have shown that the % of over 50s testing positive for HIV, no mention is made of the % change of over 50s being tested. If there is an increase in the number of over 50s being tested then one would expect an increase in the number of positives. Without this baseline it is just a sensationalist head line.

LF

How the hell do you know who's doing bareback sex ? Some members on here do talk a load of rubbish.

Well whether they do it or not they certainly talk about it and it is therefore on their minds. That would lead me to believe that they perhaps partake in such activities.

We estimate that nearly half of older adults diagnosed between 2000 and 2007 were infected at age 50 or over.

So this relates to sexual behaviour up to ten years ago. So no sudden change, maybe.

Half the older adults

It doesn't say what age group they are talking about - ''older' could mean anything. If it means 45 and up then most of them are going to be over 50.

Quicker and more available testing combined with less stigma around going for tests means more older people are going to get themselves tested.

Of course they are going to find more cases. There is not nearly enough detail in the reports to justify dramatic inferences about the behaviour of over 50s. Maybe in the actual research but, as usual, we cannot know how the media have cherry picked.

However the article seems to indicate that those over 50 are more likely to contract HIV.................

"In 2008 there were 7,382 new diagnoses - 8% of these were in the over-50s, says the Health Protection Agency."

Am I missing something here? Don't see where it implies that the 8% were more likely to contract it than the other 92%.

As a matter of fact, don't think I ever encountered a condom from the late '60s through the '70s. Think it may have been a WG first introduced them to me some time in the early '80s. Freaky.

The pill, you dig, all the chicks were on it. And all those drugs we did, too? Crazy hazy days, man. No wonder we keep forgetting to do the… what is it…? y'know... Oh, right... condom thingy…

Well whether they do it or not they certainly talk about it and it is therefore on their minds. That would lead me to believe that they perhaps partake in such activities.

In 2008 there were 7,382 new diagnoses - 8% of these were in the over-50s, says the Health Protection Agency."

That means that 92% were under 50. Somewhat blows a hole in your attempt to portray over 50s as the advocates and prime users of bb SPs based on this thread

LF

I must say that this article got my attention and is particularly unnerving - you expect more discipline from the older generation (though 50 isn't that old now that I'm well into my 30s!).

I think it's more the swingers parties etc rather than the paid-for bareback requests which are causing the rise in HIV.

all this is how many present at GUM clinic and test +ve

doesnt include those who dont go to GUM but are still infected.....

There is a difference between talking about it and actually do it

Whether the nos have trebled or doubled or quadrupled, the actual no is extremely small, no mention again of what kind of sexual activity was being practiced. Given that most people are sexually active for far longer than any previous generation, a rise is inevitable. I am fifty three and before visiting a wg, had used a condom once. I would be surprised if condom use was any more prevalent now, than 20 years ago, in civvy st. The majority of male posters on this board are in their fifties and older I suspect.

And the issue that isn't discussed, the elephant in the room? How many of the new diagnoses are newly arrived immigrants?

Forgive me, I am obviously a card carrying member of the Nazi party, not to mention a racist and a bigot, for even mentioning the subject.

I only know one member who constantly goes on about BB in a pro-BB way and he says he IS over 50, he says he enjoys it and especially BB Anal.

As i think another poster said i believe its because more over 50s are now getting tested at the GUM whereas previously not so many of that age group would of bothered. A 50 year old now was 25 in 1985 at the height of the AIDS publicity blitz so more savvy about the need for testing, hence these figures in my view.:confused:

Where on earth did you dream up this ridiculous statement from. Rubbish.

And the issue that isn't discussed, the elephant in the room? How many of the new diagnoses are newly arrived immigrants?

Forgive me, I am obviously a card carrying member of the Nazi party, not to mention a racist and a bigot, for even mentioning the subject.

There is some true in this.

I remember a couple of years ago that the local Health Authority in Bristol blew their years HIV budget in 2 months. The reason? So many recently settled immigrant Eastern Euopeans in their area were HIV positive. I am not a racist. This is a cold hard fact- I work with the NHS.