Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max Gentle

Even monkeys do it...!

12 posts in this topic

"Chimpanzees enter into 'deals' whereby they exchange meat for sex, according to researchers."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7988169.stm

So it seems even our primate cousins understand and practise the idea of sex-for-gain. I wonder if we'll ever evolve anything similar... ;)

"Chimpanzees enter into 'deals' whereby they exchange meat for sex, according to researchers."

So it seems even our primate cousins understand and practise the idea of sex-for-gain. I wonder if we'll ever evolve anything similar... ;)

The only thing with this story. I am not quite sure of the 'slant'.

Its not clear to me whether the emphasis is on the female 'advertising' sex or

the males giving food for sex, a very subtle difference.

Its in these ethical consideratios that research can be skewed

I think someone has posted here previously that Bonobos chimpanzees

do engage in forms of 'prostitution'

Just goes to show, it really is the oldest profession! ;)

Just goes to show, it really is the oldest profession! ;)

Could also show that we are genetically programmed to do it. A law preventing prostitution would therefore go against human nature, but I suppose it wouldn't be the first law to take such a decision.

Could also show that we are genetically programmed to do it. A law preventing prostitution would therefore go against human nature, but I suppose it wouldn't be the first law to take such a decision.

Many do not like the use of the term genetically programmed, since it is sometimes used as a defence to justify male rape, women should be at 'home' (ie constrained by biology/genes to 'motherhood') and so forth

Once again the nature of research, and also the issue of nature/nurture (and even how society should be constructed)...

And older still, in evolutionary terms, for macaque monkeys -which diverged from us much longer ago than chimpanzees- trade sex for food too:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1700821,00.html?xid=feed-cnn-topics

All of which raises some interesting questions about whether this goes on in the zoo and whether the females of the species were trafficked or born there; they are certainly controlled for the gain of the zoo keeper, who owes his salary to them. Something for Jacqui to work on in her forthcoming retirement?

Fascinating, and it's only a three or four years ago, following a film called March of the Penguins that the US religious fundamentalists seized upon Emperor Penguins as demonstrating god's love and design, on the logic that no species could possibly evolve to go hundreds of miles across the ice, mate, leave the males looking after the eggs on their frozen feet whilst the females re-crossed the ice for food etc etc, all in blizzards of the sort that killed Capn. Scott etc etc. They didn't explain why god should punish a species by making it behave in this way either, but that's not the sort of thing they feel the need to do.

And now we have the ever-so-cute Adelie penguin spreading her little legs in return for stones. What a hoot and, truly, a fallen species compared with the Emperor. I shall discuss this with the next God Botherer foolish enough to ring the doorbell.

Many do not like the use of the term genetically programmed, since it is sometimes used as a defence to justify male rape, women should be at 'home' (ie constrained by biology/genes to 'motherhood') and so forth

I don't think anyone has found evidence that rape is genetically programmed. Where there is brutality there will be rape. Where there is trade there will be prostitution. Simples.

I don't think anyone has found evidence that rape is genetically programmed. Where there is brutality there will be rape. Where there is trade there will be prostitution. Simples.

I think you are correct here...What I had more in mind is that a man will

NOT be able to 'control' (ie stop) himself once the lady says 'yes' and then 'no'...An argument that used to be quite prevalent in the courts.

What we can say about rape, is that when wars take place, rape is

usually a consequence.