gog

Where are the trafficked women?

12 posts in this topic

It is claimed that vast numbers of trafficked women are being forced to work against their will in parlours. If this is the case why is that people who support this idea are unable to name parlours which are using women working against their will.

It is claimed that vast numbers of trafficked women are being forced to work against their will in parlours. If this is the case why is that people who support this idea are unable to name parlours which are using women working against their will.

Maybe stuck somewhere on the North Circular perhaps :confused:

You make a very valid point but remember that not all trafficked women are working against their will, many are happy to work in the UK because they can earn far more money here than in their own country.

My definition of trafficking is where girls are being assisted to enter the UK illegally ----- bear in mind that many EE girls are fully entitled to enter the UK.

You make a very valid point but remember that not all trafficked women are working against their will, many are happy to work in the UK because they can earn far more money here than in their own country.

My definition of trafficking is where girls are being assisted to enter the UK illegally ----- bear in mind that many EE girls are fully entitled to enter the UK.

And that is not the laws definition of trafficking. Helping someone to travel to the country or travel within the country and then to employ them, or pass them to someone else to employ in an illegal environment (brothel) is considered trafficking in the sex industy.

By that definition a very high percentage of women would be considered trafficked.

And that is not the laws definition of trafficking. Helping someone to travel to the country or travel within the country and then to employ them, or pass them to someone else to employ in an illegal environment (brothel) is considered trafficking in the sex industy.

By that definition a very high percentage of women would be considered trafficked.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts2003/ukpga_20030042_en_5#pt1-pb15-l1g57

This is the law - you can define it any way you like personally, and I think that's part of the problem - people having their own definitions. But the legal definition is as Jimmy said. Helping someone enter the country or travel within it knowing or suspecting that a relevant offence will be committed against them or in respect of them. A relevant offence is (basically) any sexual offence inc. having them work for someone's agency or parlour.

There was a recent outcry about the large number of brothels in - I think - Croyden (anyway, in S. London) - and there are no corresponding adverts, etc. or FRs for any related activity in the area.

While I have absolutely no proof, I believe that the migrant worker community (i.e. Chinese, Albanians, etc. etc.) has a complete network of sex workers who ARE trafficked! This phenomena is well observed in other countries. These workers are basically not available to the general "white middle class English" community.

TOFM

There was a recent outcry about the large number of brothels in - I think - Croyden (anyway, in S. London) - and there are no corresponding adverts, etc. or FRs for any related activity in the area.

While I have absolutely no proof, I believe that the migrant worker community (i.e. Chinese, Albanians, etc. etc.) has a complete network of sex workers who ARE trafficked! This phenomena is well observed in other countries. These workers are basically not available to the general "white middle class English" community.

TOFM

Interesting you should say that. In Edmonton Green there is a knocking shop in Church Street with a Fashion Models sign above it. The hairdressers across the road from it tells me that the bloke who owns it has been raided before for trafficking. He also bought a pub further up the road which he has turned into a Turkish restuarant. The plan was for a knocking shop to open above it. The hairdresser's confirmed and I've only ever seen foreign men going in and out of that place.

I too am of the belief that some trafficked girls are bought and sold within/to their own communities only.

TOFM

I've often wondered about that myself. The group of people who are more likely to discover a trafficked girl are we, the punters. Accrding to the board statistics there are some 6300 members on this board alone and there must be similar numbers on other hobby related boards. As a group we must be visiting every brothel in every part of the country so if trafficked girls are going to be found then it is us that are going to find them - not the police or immigration authorities who only have limited manpower and resources to carry out searches or investigations on a sporadic basis.

I don't think I've ever seen a "I found a trafficked girl in such and such a parlour" thread so I can only assume that if there is any truth in the stories about trafficked girls there is a complete sub-set of punters who keep themselves (and their trafficked girls) to themselves.

I don't think I've ever seen a "I found a trafficked girl in such and such a parlour" thread so I can only assume that if there is any truth in the stories about trafficked girls there is a complete sub-set of punters who keep themselves (and their trafficked girls) to themselves.

We do have a possible sighting here, but yes they do seem to be a bit thin on the ground.

I've often wondered about that myself. The group of people who are more likely to discover a trafficked girl are we, the punters. Accrding to the board statistics there are some 6300 members on this board alone and there must be similar numbers on other hobby related boards. As a group we must be visiting every brothel in every part of the country so if trafficked girls are going to be found then it is us that are going to find them - not the police or immigration authorities who only have limited manpower and resources to carry out searches or investigations on a sporadic basis.

There was an article in a newspaper last year that suggested the very same. This was from raids in Pererbourgh. I think these brothels are not advertised on the web or in papers, but are know about by the communities of workers.

Despite all the raids in Cambridgeshire, only one man has been charged under trafficking legislation. Operation Radium is, however, continuing and the police believe they have identified several criminal gangs.

The police expect little help from the men who use the brothels, most of whom come from the tens of thousands of migrant workers employed in the “picking and packing” industries in Fenland’s fields and food factories.

The increase in sex trafficking appears to have gone hand-in-hand with the surge in immigration in East Anglia that led Cambridgeshire’s Chief Constable, Julie Spence, to demand more money to police a rapidly increasing population. Last week Mrs Spence said that ministers were not taking account of the effect that a rise in immigration was having on policing. She said Cambridgeshire had become a staging post for immigrants, partly because farm work was readily available.

The Times