Guest bricktop

Ipad - any thing else worth considering?

30 posts in this topic

would like an ipad, but just too expensive for what i need it to be, a 2nd pc to my desktop, so just really for the internet and er facetube!

i`d love a windows based ipad type thang for 200 quid, or is a notebook the only option or something else i could look into? i think Xenia posted link to something for 130 quid??

cheers for any info! BT

Ive toyed with maybe 10 ipads now, and they are nice, can see how ppl get addicted.

but if budget is an issue; get a cheapo netbook.

ipad also not "multi-tasking", meaning it seems you cant keep two windows open-running. was unpleasant surprise to me.

On the same topic ish, Iped's and other ipad clones, that are running android, does anybody here own one? Are they OK? I want an ipad but dont like the idea of being tied to apple. They are around the £130 mark, was that Xenias alternative?

Ive toyed with maybe 10 ipads now, and they are nice, can see how ppl get addicted.

but if budget is an issue; get a cheapo netbook.

ipad also not "multi-tasking", meaning it seems you cant keep two windows open-running. was unpleasant surprise to me.

All netbooks are woefully underpowered, even the dual core ones (which are an even bigger joke).

My recommendation (somewhat predictably) would be to look for a used ThinkPad X200 Tablet with a 400 NIT display via eBay, although be warned they're not cheap. However, you're also getting the best ultraportable laptop money can buy, especially if you get one still it warranty which is both transferable and often can be extended.

Whilst larger than an iPad and obviously heavier, it's a fully featured PC with the ability to handle just about anything you can think of (apart from gaming).

(A cheaper option would be to get either a regular X200 or X200s.)

If you go down that route you may just dispose of your main PC. I certainly did when I bought my (new) X200s. :D

On the same topic ish, Iped's and other ipad clones, that are running android, does anybody here own one? Are they OK? I want an ipad but dont like the idea of being tied to apple. They are around the £130 mark, was that Xenias alternative?

I didn't think there were any Android powered tablets available yet? There'll be a horde of them along soon enough, however, although. (I'm not counting the Dell Streak which almost makes the iPad look good value for money.)

B

I Honestly don't know duck! Do you need anything other than a small notebook? I have just bought one that fits into my admittedly largish handbag. Windows XP, 160 gb, 1g whatsist. Its absolutely perfect. Great for traveling.

Hope you get sorted.

Have you tried holding one and using it for any length of time.

They say they are a wee bit heavy.

andriod OS is good. i have it on my phone. its is open source, and many apps are free.

would like an ipad, but just too expensive for what i need it to be, a 2nd pc to my desktop, so just really for the internet and er facetube!

i`d love a windows based ipad type thang for 200 quid, or is a notebook the only option or something else i could look into? i think Xenia posted link to something for 130 quid??

cheers for any info! BT

I could have written this post myself a month ago :).

I wanted an iPad pretty badly, but was daunted by the price. I researched as much about netbooks and tablet pcs as I could and discounted the affordable netbooks as underpowered. There are cheap (sub £100) tablets available from places like CHina (running Android), but at the moment the only screen size choice seems to be 7". Xenia did indeed posta link to an 8" tablet some time ago for about the price you quoted. For me , I wanted something of proven performance and a decent screen size though.

There are a whole glut of 10" tablet PCs (both Windows and Android based) in development and I suspect some of them will be strong rivals for the iPad when they arrive. However, the arrival of the first seems still to be months away.

I therefore took the plunge and invested about 5 punts worth in a top of the range iPad about a fortnight ago :).

I am not a great Apple fan btw, but I have to say that I am bowled over by the iPad and as long as all you expect is a fancy internet browser, music/photo/video repository, simple (but addictive games) and a bunch of interesting but not essential utilities then you can't go wrong. I am particularly impressed at how compact and lightweight mine is and the display is nothing short of gorgeous. The battery life is also nothing short of wonderful. I love it and I really, really, really am not going to miss those 5 punts at all (well, not very much LoL).

If you want a real functioning PC to do heavyweight authoring, graphics, spreadsheets etc on, then the iPad won't be for you. If you want an expensive toy that makes internet access on the move a joy plus a whole lot of bells and whistles, then at the moment the iPad can't be beat imho. The main drawbacks of the iPad in it's current version are that there is no camera (so no videophone capability) and the lack of multi-tasking. Rumour has it that a new os is on the way that will solve the latter and you can buy a camera accessory. I expect there will be an iPad V2.0 in a year or two with a built in camera.

they need to add a standard USB port so you can use a standard keyboard if you want.

A few months ago I bought a small net book hoping it would be ideal for use when I was travelling, but even though I bough a decent one, it was still woefully underpowered and used to take between 5 and 7 minutes from a standing start to get connected to the Internet.

A couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and bought a iPad and have been mightily impressed so far.

Also picked up their Bluetooth keyboard which is great if you want to do more than just type a quick message. The salesman advised against the iPad keyboard dock as it only allows you to have the iPad in portrait mode and very close to the keyboard.

A few months ago I bought a small net book hoping it would be ideal for use when I was travelling, but even though I bough a decent one, it was still woefully underpowered and used to take between 5 and 7 minutes from a standing start to get connected to the Internet.

A decent netbook doesn't exist. :)

B

A decent netbook doesn't exist. :)

B

I would have to disagree with this. I bought and have been using a Medion 7" notebook two years ago and have been using it happily ever since then.

I use it for all sorts of things whilst traveling and it fits into my inside(poachers) pocket when I travel by Ryanair which lets me get everthing else I need into my carry-on luggage.

It copes with most things I throw at it - including audio editing with Adobe Acrobat, a wee bit slower than than my super-duper desktop m/c but still very acceptable.

It connects to the Internet just as quick as my desktop or my high quality laptop.

K

thanks for all the info & replies,

still not too sure, really want an ipad (damn you apple and your tempring ways) BUT too expensive and cant multi-task,

netbooks are in my price range, heres a windows 7 one, Emachines for under 200 quid

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-0573.aspx

all i would use it for is surfing the net usuing firefox, but always have about 7 browsing tabs open and on youtube, would one of these little uns` handle that ok??

or how long till all these windows or andriod ipad beaters are on the market?

yours boringly B.T.

The N270 Atom processor is only single core, although it does support Hyper Threading. Single or dual core, you'll need the patience of a saint to do anything on it but £200 does seem to be good value... I'd make sure I actually handled one before purchase, however, and check out the size of the keyboard which is often a limiting factor on netbooks (although as it's got a 10.1" screen it may be of a decent size).

(The Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics should be able to cope with HD Flash playback such as YouTube, although you'd need Flash 10.1 or later to ensure hardware video acceleration.)

B

still not too sure, really want an ipad (damn you apple and your tempring ways) BUT too expensive and cant multi-task,

netbooks are in my price range, heres a windows 7 one, Emachines for under 200 quid

all i would use it for is surfing the net usuing firefox, but always have about 7 browsing tabs open and on youtube, would one of these little uns` handle that ok??

yours boringly B.T.

What do you mean by multi-task ? You can get alternative browsers to the supplied one (Safari) that allow multiple tabs open, but then Safari does allow multiple sessions, just not with tabs. One advantage Safari does have is than when you go and open up another application on the iPad, it doesn't shut down in the same way as other browsers and keeps everything open that you had running until you switch to it again and you can carry right on where you left off.

I tried multi-tasking with my netbook and with more than about 2 applications running and a couple of browser sessions running, it was so slow as to almost be unworkable, so if you can be clear about how you want to use it, I suggest that you go to PC World and actually try them out to see how they handle what you want to do, as the hype is very different from reality IMO.

Neither the iPad or netbooks are a subsitutite for a proper laptop or desktop if you want to do serious work, so if you can get clear on what you want to do with the portable device it will help you make the decision.

On a similar theme I could do with mobile broadband access maybe 2 or 3 occasions a month and having had a demo of an iphone it would seem to fit the bill. Are there cheaper alternatives around ? I don't need bags of storage for music, videos and the like nor does it have to run spreadsheets, word processing and the like , just a phone to telephone people ! , check emails and view a few websites. A camera on it would be useful.

Any suggestions or has Apple got all of the market ?

Take a look at the burgeoning array of well-reviewed Google Android based phones, such as the HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S or Motorola Milestone.

B

I am using a Bluetooth wireless keyboard with my iPad, it works very well

they need to add a standard USB port so you can use a standard keyboard if you want.

yours boringly B.T.

When iOS4 comes to the iPad (October IIRC) you'll be able to multi-task. This facility is already available on iPhones running iOS4 and is quite useful.

I am using a Bluetooth wireless keyboard with my iPad, it works very well

I'll second that. Much better than the iPad keyboard dock that forces you to have the iPad only in portrait mode.

Had my first look at one / hold one today. Immediately struck by my biggest similar worry re the iPhone - looks and feels like it wants to be carried around but can't be dropped. Cheaper that my hi-powered Sony mini Vaio but not much lighter.

I Have a samsung mini net book had it 18 months with no probs built in webcam dose everthing that i want it to do and its really light and easy for travelling with totally love it and its only 250 from pc world ect

How about this 7 inch Android tablet for £84.95?

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=6381

Bit of bargain, but this bit from the product spec...

"Firmware version: 1.6 (not upgradeable) "

Would worry me, android 1.6 is already out of date by some margin and will become even more out of date probably before the end of the year, with android 3.0 on the horizon.

1.6 is ok, but no flash support for starters, most of which has been resolved in the 2.x line of the o/s

Buyer beware!