Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wanderlust

Taiwan decriminalising?

10 posts in this topic

While there is no official estimate of the scale of Taiwan's sex industry, Wang said up to 800,00 0 people may be involved, with estimated annual revenue of at least 60 billion Taiwan dollars

There ya go that figure again :D

You've missed a zero. He said 800,000, which is obvious rubbish. The population of the island is about 25 million----so 800,000 must be around 10% of women aged 18-50%. To support this every Taiwanese male would have to be a regular. And, based on NT$60 billion p.a. turnover, that'd be NT$75000 per girl per annum, or about £1500. I really do despair of politicans and bureaucrats who cannot do the simplest arithmetical cross checks on the numbers they bandy about.... even when I'd on the same political side as them.

You've missed a zero. He said 800,000, which is obvious rubbish. The population of the island is about 25 million----so 800,000 must be around 10% of women aged 18-50%. To support this every Taiwanese male would have to be a regular. And, based on NT$60 billion p.a. turnover, that'd be NT$75000 per girl per annum, or about £1500. I really do despair of politicans and bureaucrats who cannot do the simplest arithmetical cross checks on the numbers they bandy about.... even when I'd on the same political side as them.

Isn't the figure of 80,000 often cited for the amount of

person traficked here, must be something about the number 'h-ate' (8) :D ??

Isn't the figure of 80,000 often cited for the amount of

person traficked here, must be something about the number 'h-ate' (8) :D ??

8th letter in the alphabet, 88 frequently used by neo nazis meaning Heil Hitler,

or maybe it was Harriet Harman :D

longer article in Taipei Times

Legislator proposes bill to decriminalize prostitution

heard this before?

Garden of Hope Foundation executive director Chi Hui-jung (紀惠容) said she was against legalizing the sex industry. Chi said buying sex should still be punished because "if there's no demand, there won't be the supply."

8th letter in the alphabet, 88 frequently used by neo nazis meaning Heil Hitler,

or maybe it was Harriet Harman

But eight is a lucky number to the Chinese-- ba sounds like the word for prosperity see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture.

in Chengdu on the Mainland a phone no. that was all eights changed hands for $270000. The opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics in Beijing began on 8/8/08 at 8 seconds and 8 minutes past 8 pm (local time). And the NT$30000 fine presently levied on Taiwanese wgs converts as US$888 (see link on my original post), a very very auspicious sign!

At least they have debates- we are shafted by directives, with it often impossible to know if these originated in Whitehall or Brussels. When was there a Parliamentary debate on keeping a register of e-mails sent or websites visited?